Urch Forums

Please Evaluate my Essay

Hello,

Please Evaluate my issue essay- It is primarily through our identification with social groups that we define ourselves.

Thank You!!!

It is primarily through our identification with social groups that we define ourselves.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

People don’t need social groups to define themselves. One needs to have his/her own intellect and personality to stand out in the crowd and do wonders. I don’t agree that to define ourselves one needs to be primarily associated with social groups.

When one needs to define himself it doesn’t mean that the person has to be associated with a social group. For a very long time people had their own identity without being associated with any social group. People such as Galileo, Copernicus, Einstein were never a part of any social groups still they are world renowned for their geniuses. Nikolas Tesla preferred to work in solitary and was self proclaimed anti-social. Still without being connected to a social group he is considered one of the greatest inventors of all time. These people never needed the help of any social group to carve out their own legacy. This shows that even before the creation of social groups people used to stand out of the crowd on their own.

Consider the example of Mark Zuckerberg. He wanted to join the Harvard’s social group but was not initiated into one. This didn’t demoralize him; If we would have been demoralized about not getting into any social group he would be just a normal student from a Ivy league college. Instead he started the world’s largest social platform “Facebook”. Rejection from social groups gave him even more confidence to show the world that one doesn’t need affiliation with the social groups to define oneself. Similarly, Walt Disney was never associated with any social group. He just made Cartoons of Mouse and showed it to his wife.

Though I also believe that association with great social groups can help in easily defining onselves. Social groups in Colleges helps the students in preparing for their future and affiliation with recognized groups can do wonders for a student while applying for Job as well as future education.

Thus, I believe that though social groups help a person but it is on the individual himself to define his legacy. Social groups just acts a catalyst, but the main work should be done by the individual himself.