Urch Forums

Please help me grade my essay : "with each new day there are new problems..."

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums and would like some feedback on some of my essays, especially the issue prompts! Here is one that I just did timed right now (And thank you so much in advance!):

Prompt: "Knowing about the past cannot help people to make important decisions today."

Essay::

With each new day, there are new problems for the people of the world to solve. However, these problems would benefit from the knowledge acquired from lessons we have learned from the past: either through history or from our own personal experiences.

From the moment people are born, they begin to make decisions and over time associate these decisions with certain results. It is without saying that the decision and results vary with the circumstances of the situation. However, to say that the past cannot help people to make decisions in the future is foolish. Using the past to aide us in decision making is a fundamental part of learning. As we make mistakes through life, we learn to avoid making the same mistakes again, making better choices should a similar situation arise again. When we first learn that touching a hot pan is painful, and we learn to be careful the next time we see a pan on the stove. To learn is to remember, and learning is an important aspect of personal growth. To ignore lessons learned in the past would, would leave us making the same mistakes over and over again.

Using the past to make decisions does not only benefit humans individually, but society as a whole as well. Despite the changes in social norms and ideologies over time, human nature does not change too significantly from generation to generation. For example, while it has been many years after the civil rights movement in the United States, racism is still rampant. In order to solve the problems of today, should we ignore the fact that racism is not the way it was in the past? We should not, because in order to understand the racism we see today, we need to see how it evolved over time. We need to understand the history behind racist sentiments in order to fully comprehend the situation. And only until then can we decide on a reasonable course of action.

In conclusion, while the decisions made in the present should be treated as such, people should not dismiss similar events in the past, for they can provide information not only useful for our own personal growth, but for growth as a society a whole as well.