Urch Forums

Please evaluate my Issue task. P.S: I have my GRE tomorrow. Any help is appreciated.

pdeep

ISSUE TASK: The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore negative ones.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teaching surely involves praising positive actions. It helps in appreciating efforts of students and restoring confidence in them. While some kids won't be in a position to take negative feedback, best teaching practices should nevertheless involve pointing out negative actions.

Praising positive work done by students will have a lot of positive effect on improving their skills. To see this point consider a scenario from classroom. When a kid performs well, he is surely waiting for his work to be recognized by the teacher. When the teacher indeed notices his effort, she gives a 'pat on the back' of student. This will increase the student's confidence and he certainly feels he can do any challenging work in future. When this appreciation in done in front of all his fellow students, his confidence increases even more.

Also, praising positive work also has another plus point. The student who did that good work, when appreciated by his teacher, considers it as a win. Winning has such a good taste that once tasted, people want it even more. Similarly, the student who considered it as a win, want to win again and again. So he performs even better next time, to get appreciation from teacher and this continues forever. This helps in improving the performance on student.

On the other hand, criticism is very important either. Sure some kids don't take feedback with the same spirit as they take positive feedback, but negative feedback shouldn't be stopped. It helps in finding the mistakes made by the student and gives him a chance in rectifying them. It also helps in knowing his strengths and weaknesses which in turn help him in depicting strengths and hiding weaknesses in times of need and feel confident. So when kids have a problem in taking negative feedback give it to them personally rather than criticising them among his fellow mates.

So from the above discussion, the best way to teach should consist of both giving positive and negative feedback as both have their advantages. Depending on the mentality of student, feedback should be given directly or indirectly. This helps in overall development of the student.

Hi pdeep! As far as the evaluation matters, i think it will get 3.5. Though you intro was bit let down as it suggests that you are in favor of negative feedback and second paragraph will emphasize it. vocabulary is very simple, try to use more GRE words. This will hep you to score more, i think so and good luck for tomorrow. .