Urch Forums

Please review and share you thoughts ..

Essay - GRE 363

Present your perspective on the issue below, "The goal of politics should not be the pursuit of an ideal, but rather the search for common ground and reasonable consensus."

Essay:

The word politic means the quality to show reasonable and practical thinking and gets the work done. Even many times we hear people complaining and arguing that " things could ave been done in better manner and we should have an ideal and incorrupt leader and government" still they want things to be done with promptness and quickly which requires a more politic approach. I completely agree with the notion that politics should search for common ground and reasonable consensus.

First and foremost, politics lays a cardinal role in formation and decision making of governments. Politician culled after the voting from people in a democracy create a formal structure called government where these politicians reign in specific departments. The decision for these appointments are taken by having a discourse among the chosen electives and these discussion will be effective and productive only if politicians are looking for reasonable and common grounds. Otherwise altercations will keep going on for long and important time and funds will be wasted. Also governments make decision and pass bill with the help of oppositions, if requires compromises and both sides needs to be inured for the good of country and people. Lets consider India as an example where only 50% share of parliament are needed to make government but 66% to pass an ordinance. Based on these arguments we can assume that politics requires a pursuit for a win-win situation for all participants and reason-ability and pragmatism.

In addition, politics plays a chief role in deciding the inter countries disputes and relationships. Not adhering with pragmatism and looking for ideal solutions will hamper both the countries and their people. we can look at Israel and Palestine disputes which are going on for more than 50 years as the leaders of both sides don't want to compromise on their stance and wants their demands to be fulfilled. If a common ground were actually searched, so many people wouldn't have been killed, let alone the loss of money and public properties.

An ideal solution or a panacea for a problem and situation can be the assumed best approach but it is not usually feasible. Pragmatism and logical thinking almost always produces better results in less efforts and quickly. Need for pragmatism and pursuit of common ground can not be more important in other areas than politics.

Edited by technocrat

Hi! So I am possible not the best voice since I am only becoming familiar with the GRE essay writing myself.

I found the examples used to be powerful and applicable and the language used to be very advanced. You may have used the word "pragmatism" a few times too frequently (maybe replace once with practicality or effectiveness) but in general it had a vast selection of vocabulary. For sentences, you may want to interrupt the longer ones with a couple quick short ones (personal preference).

I think the second paragraph could have a bit more focus or be split into separate topics. I'm not sure if the point of this paragraph is it that the majority should attempt to agree or that time is wasted when two sides do not look look for a common solution.

Being new to this essay writing in general, I'm not too sure how it should be rated. I really enjoyed hearing your perspective and I found your arguments to be well thought out. Probably a bit of editing would iron out the details to make for more fluidity.