Urch Forums

Please, rate my issue essay

xatutuik

Hi.

This is my first post here. Looking forward for your feedbacks :)

Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Many people do their choice of profession in educational institutions, mostly in schools. This choice is often based on their favorite subjects, on subjects in which they succeed and why not following to the advices of their teachers. Thus educational institutions have an important role in a life of a student, particularly in a process of profession choice. Teachers and advisers should help students to reveal their real talents and to make a correct choice based on their strengths, so that they will have successful career and will not regret for it. Meanwhile, a teacher should remember that he/she is treating to a young and should be be very sensitive when dissuading a student not to engage in some field.

Educational institutions are not only supposed to give a knowledge to young, but also help them to find their preferences, strengths and talents, based on which they will later choose their further study field. During years in a schools, students get acquainted with a broad range of subjects, they try to figure out what is their favorite spheres so that to continue in that field. During their process the help of teachers is highly important. During their work with a student teachers are able to notice which is his/her strengths, after that they can help this student to like that particular field and choose it as his/her further study area. Moreover, there are cases when student’s favorite subject becomes the one his/her beloved teacher taught. This came from the fact, that this particular teacher was able to make student to like his/her subject. Of course all this does not mean that student should ignore other subjects, but most of us in school usually paid more attention to our favorite areas.

In some cases it is not that easy to find strength of a student even for good teachers. In such a case it can seem that either student can not succeed in any field or he/she is doing well in all areas. In these situations also teacher’s attitude can have great impact in student’s further decision. Teachers should provide diverse set of tasks to a student, so that to be able to help him/her to find out which preferences he/she has. This was exactly the case I was in the school. I was good at several subjects: languages, mathematics and physics and informatics. I was not able to understand which one these fields I want to be my further area of study. At first for long time I wanted to become a journalist, than I thought that an economist will also suit my preferences, but eventually I chose Computer Science and that was my teacher who helped me to understand that actually this is my favorite field and I want to pursue it for my life.

However, the worst scenario is when teacher sees that a student is trying to pursue a field in which he/she has a little chance to succeed. In such situations teachers should try to make a student understand that he/she is in wrong direction. In order to do this a teacher should be truly sensitive, so that not to discourage a student and not make him/her feel humiliated or lose self-esteem. Surely it can be hard to make one admit that he/she will find very hard to succeed in a field he/she is fond of, especially if that person is teenager, however teachers should not be afraid of this difficulties, they should be patient in their actions in a way of making a student reconsider his/her choice.

Educational institutions have a great importance in lives of students. Here students not only find a knowledge but also a elder friends in a face of teachers, who should help them to make find their real talents based on which they can do correct choice of their further education. Sometimes it will be hard for teachers to reveal to a student that the field he/she wants to pursue will not bring him/her to success and even harder to student to admit it, but anyway teacher should bear these difficulties so that their students do not make wrong decision.