Urch Forums

012 People's attitudes are determined more by

sush

Issue:12: People's attitudes are determined more by their immediate situation or surroundings than by any internal characteristic.

It is a raging controversy over the centuries whether people’s attitude is determined by immediate situations and surroundings or it is influenced by internal characteristics. This is, indeed a contentious issue.

To answer this moot point, we should ask ourselves whether the people born with negative stroke positive attitudes. According to research, every child is born normal and in no way ti can be said that a child is either having a negative attitude or a positive attitude by birth. Obviously, this leads us to the conclusion that attitudes are built by the impact of the surroundings and the immediate situations we face in life than by birth.

Research findings in this field have established that our attitudes are predominantly shaped and built during the formative stages of our life namely early school life, influence of teachers, early childhood friends and to some extent the values imparted by our parents. School life having a predominant effect on one’s attitude is because a child spends more time in school than with parents if the number of hours each day is taken into account and the number of days in a year. It is obvious that our attitudes are shaped by our school surroundings to a great extent and also important contribution is made by parental values. Certain characters are also shaped in the places of higher learning.

The life of the society around an individual also greatly influences the attitude. If you happen to live in the middle class surroundings, you develop bourgeoise tendencies, where as if you live in a poverty-stricken surroundings your attitude towards life can be quite negative. Hence our immediate social surroundings do influence our attitudes.

Let us take a look at the work surroundings and see how it influences our attitude. If the employees are themselves responsible, creative and recognize our contribution, however humble may be the company, our attitudes are positive. If on the other hand, they are irresponsible, payless and exploitative and do not recognize your work, then our attitude becomes negative. Hence, even at the work place, the immediate situation and the surrounding do influence our attitude.

Based on what is stated in the foregoing para’s, it may not be difficult to draw a conclusion that people’s attitudes are determined by their immediate situations or surroundings than by their internal characteristics.

sush:)

• 2 weeks later...
It is a raging controversy over the centuries whether people’s attitude is determined by immediate situations and surroundings or it is influenced by internal characteristics. This is, indeed a contentious issue.

It is a raging contreversy because it is a contentious issue, wouldn't you say ?

To answer this moot point, we should ask ourselves whether the people born with negative stroke positive attitudes. According to research, every child is born normal and in no way ti can be said that a child is either having a negative attitude or a positive attitude by birth.

Negative stroke positive ? Do you mean negative/positive ?

I think the word stroke is only pronounced and never written. Maybe I am wrong, you ought to check this out.

Obviously, this leads us to the conclusion that attitudes are built by the impact of the surroundings and the immediate situations we face in life than by birth.

No way Jose ! There is nothing obvious about the matter. True, there is no way to tell whether a baby has a negative attitude or positive attitude at birth, but that hardly means it has a neutral attitude.

Research findings in this field have established that our attitudes are predominantly shaped and built during the formative stages of our life namely early school life, influence of teachers, early childhood friends and to some extent the values imparted by our parents. School life having a predominant effect on one’s attitude is because a child spends more time in school than with parents if the number of hours each day is taken into account and the number of days in a year. It is obvious that our attitudes are shaped by our school surroundings to a great extent and also important contribution is made by parental values. Certain characters are also shaped in the places of higher learning.

Yep.

The life of the society around an individual also greatly influences the attitude. If you happen to live in the middle class surroundings, you develop bourgeoise tendencies, where as if you live in a poverty-stricken surroundings your attitude towards life can be quite negative. Hence our immediate social surroundings do influence our attitudes.

I don't think so. Many people struggle their way out of poverty through sheer perseverance and industriousness. They would not have done so if they had a negative attitude towards life.

Moreover, there are many middle or upper class people who view life with varying degrees of cynicism. I don't think bourgeoise tendencies are necassarily positive.

Let us take a look at the work surroundings and see how it influences our attitude. If the employees are themselves responsible, creative and recognize our contribution, however humble may be the company, our attitudes are positive. If on the other hand, they are irresponsible, payless and exploitative and do not recognize your work, then our attitude becomes negative. Hence, even at the work place, the immediate situation and the surrounding do influence our attitude.

I agree

Based on what is stated in the foregoing para’s, it may not be difficult to draw a conclusion that people’s attitudes are determined by their immediate situations or surroundings than by their internal characteristics.

I don't think you ought to use abbrevs :cool: when writing essays. At any rate, it is paras, not para's.

Para's = Para is or belonging to Para

Overall, I like your essay. Though I don't particular subscribe to your stance, I must say I found your essay quite insightful. Your writing style is quite flowing and natural. Can't really criticise it.

You had made a few typos. Try to minimise them in the future.

Good Luck,

AmigoRo

Hi everybodyl,

Here's my opinion on the same topic,any comments will be of immense help.

shilpa

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Every person is a complex individual, since populace is formed by such

diverse, heterogeneous group it is impossible to generalize on what

determines their attitude. Personality of an individual is shaped by both

nature and nurture. Greater influence of innate characteristics over the

upbringing or vice versa has been topic of contention between

psychiatrists, philosophers and biologists involved in study of human

genome, without reaching definite conclusion.

Various studies have been carried out on characteristics of identical

(mono-zygotic) twins , often arriving at contradictory conclusions. Dr

Robert Winston conducted a study to highlighting importance of nature

in moldings personalities .In his documentary identical twins brought up

in disparate environment followed similar courses. one interesting

example was of pair of twins who shared love for reading, one twin was

raised in affluent neighborhood and had access to personal library, his

identical twin who was raised by impoverished parents spent hours in

public library. Another study conducted by Northwestern University on

identical twins arrived at conclusion that environmental factors

contribute to who we are as individuals, this research concluded that

attitudes are shaped by different environmental factors including

nourishment the embryo received in the womb, values imparted by

parents, education and social circle.

People with the same kind upbringing brought up in similar neighborhood

need not necessarily have same attitude or outlook towards life . Innate

characteristics and abilities do play a role in determining a person's

attitude. Genetic make up of an individual influences the behavioral

pattern. A person with inherently high intelligence quotient might

develop a sense of confidence, while a person of low intelligence might

have low self esteem which he might try to compensate by becoming

overtly assertive and domineering. A Person might not react in identical

manner to the situation if it is faced by it at two different stages of

life. Person's attitude or character is in continual stage of evolution

based on the past experience and how he or she is able to deal with it.

Genes impart certain potential and characteristics, manifestation of

which is determined by upbringing and social environment. Hence both

nature and nurture have strong influence of individual psyche.

Originally posted by shilpa

Hi everybodyl,

Here's my opinion on the same topic,any comments will be of immense help.

shilpa

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Every person is a complex individual, since populace is formed by such

diverse, heterogeneous group it is impossible to generalize on what

determines their attitude. Personality of an individual is shaped by both

nature and nurture. Greater influence of innate characteristics over the

upbringing or vice versa has been topic of contention between

psychiatrists, philosophers and biologists involved in study of human

genome, without reaching definite conclusion.

Various studies have been carried out on characteristics of identical

(mono-zygotic) twins , often arriving at contradictory conclusions. Dr

Robert Winston conducted a study to highlighting importance of nature in moldings personalities .In his documentary identical twins brought up

in disparate environment followed similar courses. one interesting

example was of pair of twins who shared love for reading, one twin was

raised in affluent neighborhood and had access to personal library, his

identical twin who was raised by impoverished parents spent hours in

public library. Another study conducted by Northwestern University on

identical twins arrived at conclusion that environmental factors

contribute to who we are as individuals, this research concluded that

attitudes are shaped by different environmental factors including

nourishment the embryo received in the womb, values imparted by

parents, education and social circle.

People with the same kind upbringing brought up in similar neighborhood

need not necessarily have same attitude or outlook towards life . Innate

characteristics and abilities do play a role in determining a person's

attitude. Genetic make up of an individual influences the behavioral

pattern. A person with inherently high intelligence quotient might

develop a sense of confidence, while a person of low intelligence might

have low self esteem which he might try to compensate by becoming

overtly assertive and domineering. A Person might not react in identical

manner to the situation if it is faced by it at two different stages of

life. Person's attitude or character is in continual stage of evolution

based on the past experience and how he or she is able to deal with it.

Genes impart certain potential and characteristics, manifestation of

which is determined by upbringing and social environment. Hence both

nature and nurture have strong influence of individual psyche.

This is a well thought out and well written essay. Your writing style is flowing and lucid. The structure and organisation are excellent. You point on people's behaviour being affected by their innate qualities is a brilliant.

Your essay would be a strong contender for a perfect six, were it not a for a few blemishes. There are many grammatical errors. You frequently miss out the article, and you get your singulars and prurals wrong. Also have a look at the bit of text I've marked in red.

Your summary is a major let down. It is very anticlimactic. I think those two sentences are valid as the last two sentences of a summary, but I am sure you could've added a bit more to it. Your essay is powerful overall, but the summary completely fails to deliver the punch.

HTH

AmigoRo

Originally posted by shilpa

Hi Amigo,

Thanks for your insights!, next time i'll make sure to proofread my essays before submitting, btw are you able to complete your issue topics in time?, i invariably exceed the time limit.

shilpa

I never exceed the time limit, but neither do I ever leave enough time (at least 2-3 minutes) for editing purposes. I really need to work on my time management better.

AmigoRo

Hi guys,

Below is my composition of the same issue.

Every person exhibits an attitude that sets him/ her apart from others.

But the question over here arises- how is this attitude instilled into any person. Some believe that everyone is born with some characteristics which shape his/her attitude, while others are of the view that as a child develops into an adult, he/she is gradually affected by the environment which molds attitude in him/her. I concur with the statement's claim that the immediate situation or surrounding,or family casts a remarkable impact on individual's attitude but the innate characteristics play an equally significant role.

Family plays a vital role in making an impact on a child's cognitive power, which finally leads to development of attitude in him/her. For instance, it was her family's generosity, care for the poor and the less fortunate that made a great impact on young Mother Teresa's life and she realized that her vocation was aiding the poor. She dedicated every day of her adult life caring for "The dying, the crippled, the poor, the mentally ill, the unwanted, the unloved" . Even when her health started to deterioate she continued serving for the humanity. The attitude, which was developed into her in childhood, of serving the destitute, stigmatized people remained with her till her death.

It is believed that if a child is left in a forest and grows up amid other animals, he/she would learn their language and eat, live the way other animals do but the moment he is brought back into the society, after a certain time he would start behaving like other humanbeings. The fundamental reason behind this is that the milieu around a person affects his/her personality in a tremendous way. In another instance, there is a affluent family of three members, both the parents and their only son 18 years old . Till 18 years of his life, the son lived a life of outgoing, carefree, improvident person because he never had to worry about the financial matter, problems of life because he was leading a sumptous lifestyle. But if by quirk of fate, his father becomes bankrupt and retires behind the walls of his room, all the responsiblities come on the shoulders of the son. Now he has to adopt a provident attitude and has to struggle for a living. This is not a hypothetical case because in real life there are many people who undergo change in attitude because of the circumstances, surroundings.

However, if the surrounding always plays a pivotal role in shaping up the attitude of a person, then why siblings living in the same atmosphere at times exhibit different attitudes towards life. The cause behind is this their genetic makeup. The innate characteristics prevail in molding the attitude. That's the reason by looking at the behaviour of a two year old child, people start saying that he/she would grow into a introvert, extrovert, violent, or placid individual. And this prediction about his/her attitude becomes conspicuous when that child grows up. If a person is persistent by nature, he/she will keep on trying again and again even after meeting with failures. His/her internal charateristics, assiduousness, will prevail over the detering surroundings upto a significant extent.

In sum, its the combined influence of family, environment, circumstances, innate characterstics which determine people's attitude. If innate characteristics provide the foundation of the attitude, family values, surroundings, puts up the bricks and thus the development of attitude of takes place. Thus it will not be justified to say that people's attitudes are determined more by their immediate situation or surrounding than by any innate characteristics.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Here are my opinion on the same topic. Suggestiona/comments are most welcomed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every person is unique in one way or other. It is his attitude towards that makes him unique. But what makes him so unique from others ? This has been topic of contentious that it is his inherent characteristic that makes his so unique. While others stick on the environment, the surrounding that makes him so unique.

Every person is born with same calibre and attitude. The initial phases of childhood are the most predominant one in deciding his/her attitude towards life. It is the surrounding which has great effect on his behavioural tendencies. For instance, his behaviour depends on his friends in the school, the teaching he receives from his pedagog, the environment in which he leaves.

Social values that has been imparted to him by his family members are also supposed to be most crucial one in deciding his attitude. The parents are the one who spoonfeeds the child as to how to behave, how to maintain decipline, importance about time etc. But if the parents themselves are not following

this that is they are rude in their behaviour, lazy, indecipline then this will have a negative effect on him and he will also exhibits the same attitude as his parents.

On the contrary, there are certain qualities which exists when a child is born. For instance, it is said that 'Leaders are born not made'. There are certain qualities that are required for a leader. This qualities cannot be gained through reading or experiencing or for that matter through surrounding. So in that sense, this are the internal characteristic. A person who is in active politics from his childhood and that his ancestor were there in the politics does not mean that his progenies will also go in politics.

In conclusion, attitude is a conglomerate of the surrounding conditions in which the person has born, his friends, values imparted from his parents and so also to some extent from some internal characteristic.

Originally posted by Jai

Hi guys,

Here are my opinion on the same topic. Suggestiona/comments are most welcomed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Jai, my comments on this essay are in red.

Every person is unique in one way or the other. It is his U might wanna stay neutral and not get gender specific , like u can say that "it's a person's" attitude towards that makes him unique. But what makes him so unique from others ? This has been topic of contentious contention and not contentious that it is his inherent characteristic that makes his may be a typo, i guess it shud be him here so unique. While others stick on the environment, the surrounding that makes him so unique. A wee bit of ambiguity here in the last sentence

Every person is born with the same calibre and attitude hmm.. I am not too sure if u can say that every person is born with the same attitude though..U might wanna say that the level is 0 when a person is born or something to that effect. The initial phases Shouldn't be a plural as there is only one phase of childhood in anyone's life of childhood are the most predominant one in deciding his/her attitude towards life. It is the surrounding Did u missing typing something here??? which has great effect on his behavioural tendencies. For instance, his behaviour depends on his friends in the school, the teaching he receives from his pedagog, the environment in which he leavesShould be "LIVES" .

Social values that has been imparted to him by his family members are also supposed to be most crucial one in deciding his attitude. The parents are the one's who spoonfeeds the child as to how to behave, how to maintain decipline, importance about time etc. But if the parents themselves are not following

this that is they are rude in their behaviour, lazy, inde incorrect spelling for discipline cipline then this will have a negative effect on him and he will also exhibits the same attitude as his parents.

On the contrary, there are certain qualities which exists when a child is born. For instance, it is said that 'Leaders are born not made'. There are certain qualities that are required for a leader. This These and not this here qualities cannot be gained through reading or experiencing or for that matter through surrounding. So in that sense, this are the internal characteristic. A person who is in active politics from his childhood and that his ancestor were there in the politics does not mean that his progenies will also go in politics.

In conclusion, attitude is a conglomerate of the surrounding conditions in which the person has born, his friends, values imparted from his parents and so also to some extent from some internal characteristic.

Jai, ur essay is good, overall the structure and the content r ok, but, there are quite a few grammar and spelling mistakes which u might wanna take care of.

HTH

-Sri.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sush,

Poverty does not necessarily give a person a negative attitude in life. Consider those who rose from rags to riches. At the same time wealth does not give a postive attitude in life. Look at the kids of rich people, involved in drugs etc.

Does anyone agree?

Beccs

I'm posting this essay as a courtesy:

012 "People's attitudes are determined more by their immediate situation or surroundings than by any internal characteristic."

This most of us would agree that attitude or mindset of a person is governed by mind. So to understand, whether attitudes are determined more by immediate situation and surroundings or by internal characteristics, it’s first of all necessary for us to comprehend the configuration and functioning of our brain. Biology has proved that our cerebrum consists of two segments, the conscious and the unconscious mind. What ever our five senses can feel and control are managed by conscious mind e.g. anger, happiness, sadness etc and the other activities by unconscious mind willpower, fortitude, patience, boldness etc. We can easily sense the changes that go in our conscious mind but it’s not easy to be aware of the changes in our conscious mind. Some people might argue that etiquettes not attitude, posture not perception can be changes but it’s partially true. I would rather say that etiquettes not attitude, posture not perception could be changed with ease.

If you have vigilantly watched a baby elephant in the zoo you would have seen that they are fettered with an iron chain but the same is not true with the grown up elephant. The older ones are tied up with a jute rope. Do you know why? This is because the younger elephants don’t suppose that he can’t break the iron chain so they keep on trying to untie them self. But failing to break the chain after many tries he starts believing that it’s futile attempting and gives up. Then if any thing is tied around his leg he doesn’t try to move because he wrongly presumes that he can’t do that.

Same is the case with human beings also when he is born he has some abilities and inabilities that he applies when he has to interact with his surrounding. Now if he gets the same result for many attempts then depending on the outcome he starts believing in the results and this is the point at which the unconscious mind changes and hence transforms the attitude. If the results were all affirmative then there is maximum chance that he will become optimist and pessimist if vise versa. This can be easily observed in growing children of age group five to fifteen. Suppose a child goes on a stage for some performance for the first time and he gets lots of applaud and admire from people. Then there is an utmost probability that he will be more convenient next time. But do you think a child with bitter experience would dare to make it next time?

What I want to make out of the elephant story and child example is that, recurring action could alter habits and accumulation of the similar habits effects unconscious mind, which in turn determines attitude.

Finally, I would like to conclude by recapitulating that, yes every human being has some inborn genetic characteristic but as a result of the situation he faces and the surrounding he interacts with, this internal characteristics gets amended and in a long run his attitude is outcome of the environment and society he is being born and brought up in rather than his inborn individuality.

• 6 months later...

Iam posting my essay here, please give suggestions to me,

012. People's attitudes are determined more by their immediate situation or surroundings than by any internal characteristic

The behavior of people under different circumstances and their response to various situations are very much influenced by the immediate situation. The behavior should not be studied considering just one incident or one instance of the person’s life. It should be a study considering his action in every kind of situation. If studied so, one may easily identify that even people who did heroics in one situation will be showing their weakness in some other situation.

The main cause for this is the natural reaction that occurs in the person’s mind, when facing an unusual situation which he has not experienced before. The response would be impulsive and provocation of a thought about the situation will only come after the impulse. For instance, if there is a sudden fire in a place the first reaction of every one will be to get out of the place. The thought to help others will only come once the mind finds peace. In most cases when mind pacifies itself, it would have been too late. So clearly, one can see that the internal characteristic comes only after the impulse.

There are some extraordinary people who are unshaken in any sort of situation. But this may be reasoned by the fact that, most of these people would have faced similar

situations earlier in their life. So, they will be able to control their mind better. Another category of people who are equanimous in every time are the sages who practice control of mind severely. They live isolated from the common society, and thus this special case also cannot be treated as a representation of the common population.

Many heroic deeds which we praise, do not deserve such appreciation. In many instances the acts of heroism are done when the person finds himself in a do or die situation. For example, heroic deeds in the war happen when the soldier finds no way out to escape, so he makes the sacrifice. These cannot be considered as act that comes from inner mind. They too are just circumstantial deeds.

In assaying the above cases we are easily able to note that, in controlling the behavior of the people the current situation has more precedence over the internal characteristic of the person. This is a natural phenomenon, and to alter it will one has to travel a long way in controlling the mind.

oops! I left out the conclusion

In assaying the above cases we are easily able to note that, in controlling the behavior of the people the current situation has more precedence over the internal characteristic of the person. This is a natural phenomenon, and to alter it will one has to travel a long way in controlling the mind.

hi i am new to this forum.pls review my essay n give me ur valuable suggestions.thank u.

012 People's attitudes are determined more by their immediate situation or surroundings than by any internal characteristic.

I agree with the above statement that people's attitudes are determined more by their immediate surroundings than by any innate qualities.I am of the opinion that though inherent characteristics also influence a person's behaviour,the social environment around oneself has a major role in moulding it.

A person's character starts developing right from the time when one starts recognising people around oneself as an infant.Parents are the first to influence a person's attitude because learning is a process which basically depends on sensory perception and repetition and parents are the first among those who come in contact with a growing child.That is how a child learns to talk by imitating the words spoken by people around him.And one more way a child adopts a behaviour is by trial and error.For example, if a child observes that he can attain what he wants by crying,he repeatedly uses the same trick to blackmail his parents and thus develops the attitude of being stubborn.On the contrary ,if a child percieves that his parents ignore his crying,he stops using his cry as a means of achieving something.And also children consciously and subconsciously acquire the morals and principles followed by their parents.

The school environment and peers have the second most influence on the moulding of a child's character.Just the same way a child imitates his parents,he tries to imitate his friends too.For example,a child who has friends addicted to smoking is more prone to get addicted to smoking than a child who has friends who doesn't smoke.

And above all,the socio-economic conditions of a person also play a significant role in the development of one's character.The socio-economic statu will not only have a direct influence on a person's behaviour but also by affecting the people around him will have an indirect influence.For example,researches have proved that socio-economic status has an influence on the number of divorces in the society.And it is irrefutable to say that children from broken families are more prone to become delinquent.

However innate characteristics also determine a person's attitudes.There are some aspects like I.Q which are inherent to a child which certainly influence one's attitudes.And also it has been scientifically proved that presence of an extra Y chromosome results in the development of criminal attitudes in an individual.But considering the general population,people having extremes of I.Q or chromosomal abnormalities which can affect their character are very less.

So,i conclude that though inherent qualities do affect a person's attitude, the immediate surroundings have a greater influence on the development of an individual's personality.

Originally posted by japes

hi i am new to this forum.pls review my essay n give me ur valuable suggestions.thank u.

012 People's attitudes are determined more by their immediate situation or surroundings than by any internal characteristic.

I agree with the above statement that people's attitudes are determined more by their immediate surroundings than by any innate qualities.I am of the opinion that though inherent characteristics also influence a person's behaviour,the social environment around oneself has a major role in moulding it.

A person's character starts developing right from the time when one starts recognising people around oneself as an infant.Parents are the first to influence a person's attitude because learning is a process which basically depends on sensory perception and repetition and parents are the first among those who come in contact with a growing child.That is how a child learns to talk by imitating the words spoken by people around him.And one more way a child adopts a behaviour is by trial and error.For example, if a child observes that he can attain what he wants by crying,he repeatedly uses the same trick to blackmail his parents and thus develops the attitude of being stubborn.On the contrary ,if a child percieves that his parents ignore his crying,he stops using his cry as a means of achieving something.And also children consciously and subconsciously acquire the morals and principles followed by their parents.

The school environment and peers have the second most influence on the moulding of a child's character.Just the same way a child imitates his parents,he tries to imitate his friends too.For example,a child who has friends addicted to smoking is more prone to get addicted to smoking than a child who has friends who doesn't smoke.

And above all,the socio-economic conditions of a person also play a significant role in the development of one's character.The socio-economic statu will not only have a direct influence on a person's behaviour but also by affecting the people around him will have an indirect influence.For example,researches have proved that socio-economic status has an influence on the number of divorces in the society.And it is irrefutable to say that children from broken families are more prone to become delinquent.

However innate characteristics also determine a person's attitudes.There are some aspects like I.Q which are inherent to a child which certainly influence one's attitudes.And also it has been scientifically proved that presence of an extra Y chromosome results in the development of criminal attitudes in an individual.But considering the general population,people having extremes of I.Q or chromosomal abnormalities which can affect their character are very less.

So,i conclude that though inherent qualities do affect a person's attitude, the immediate surroundings have a greater influence on the development of an individual's personality.

hi japes,

overall

ur essay overall is good.

but i would advise u to correct the following mistakes

in the first para u initially took a stand that

people's attitudes are determined more by their

immediate surroundings than by any innate qualities

but immediately reverted stating that I am of the opinion

that though inherent characteristics also influence a person's

behaviour,the social environment around oneself has a major

role in moulding it.

it is advised not to take an equivocal stand .

write the introduction in a separate para.

" blackmail "seems to be the extreme word or inappropirate

word.u could use "persuade"

in the second para u have given a statement followed by

an example.i would require u to further analyse the example and "stretch"

the paragraph.it is on these examples that one can bolster and justift ones stand .

further more also specify how ur example justifies ur stand

use transition markers to guide the reader reading ur essay

and also to enhance the flow and continuity .

try to link ur paragraph by the transition markers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

This is my response to the topic. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

"People's attitudes are determined more by their immediate situation or surroundings than by any internal characteristic."

There are a variety of people that make up this world. It is basically their attitudes and personality that leads to this variety. What determines a person's attitude? I believe that to a large extent, a person's attitude is determined by his internal characteristics. His internal characteristics are those innate features that form his personality. These are the characteristics that often determine how the person would react to a given situation. However, it is not as though the immediate situation or surrounding has no role to play. The immediate situation, to a smaller extent does also determine a person's behaviour and attitude.

It is the distinguishing behavioral features that characterize people. It is these features that often determine a person's reaction to a particular situation. Even a small child knows that he may get scolded for a naughty deed by one particular teacher and not by the other. What makes the two teachers react in two different manners to the same situation? It is definitely not the immediate situation alone, but mainly their internal characteristics. That is why, when faced with adverse conditions, one individual overcomes the problems and rises to great heights whereas another just gets bogged down by the situation. That is the reason why success affects one achiever so as to cause him to become totally arrogant and know-it-all whereas another might just consider it a stepping-stone to further achievement. Most people would agree that these differences are due to the different internal characteristics.

The genetic makeup of a person determines his personality and attitude. It is the genes that indicate whether a person is generally jovial or morose, usually lethargic or active, short-tempered or calm most of the time. It is often said that a child has his father's or mother's genes when he displays certain characteristics as seen in the parents - that is solely because these characteristics indicate the child's behaviour and attitude. Thus, a child with a natural inclination for sports will pursue it with an enthusiastic attitude whether or not provided with the appropriate facilities. On the other hand, a child with a total dislike for sports will have an indifferent and maybe even negative attitude towards sports even if he is blessed with tons of money and the facilities of a private swimming pool. Consider the quality of leadership.

Why is it that only a few great leaders like Mahatma Gandhi led the Indian struggle for freedom when there was the entire population of the country at the mercy of the outsiders? It was the internal characteristics of these great leaders that caused them to react to the situation as they did, as against the various others who did not when faced with the same situation and surroundings.

However, it cannot be said that the immediate situation or surroundings have no role to play in the matter. The same person may react to similar situations at two different times in two different ways. Consider a person who is generally optimistic in nature. He might be able to face the most adverse of situations with a positive attitude on one particular day but might react with a totally negative attitude to a minor problem on a day when is physically very ill. For example, a person who is cynical and pessimistic in nature may start seeing the brighter side of the situation if a number of things go right that day. This would change his reaction to the situation and his attitude.

Thus, I would like to say that a person's attitude is determined by his internal characteristics to a large extent. These internal characteristics determine how a person would behave under various conditions. However, the immediate situation also has an important role to play.

Any critics are welcomed

It is controversial topic whether a person's attitude is determined by immediate situations or surroundings. Well I think it is a combination of both. Both internal characteristics and surroundings play a great role in determining a person's attitude.

Lets see how the internal characteristics determine. When a child is born it inherits genes from its parents. As a result of this it has some characteristics of its parents. In the early stages itself we can observe those characteristics in its behavior. For example few kids walk or talk in the same way as that of their parents. Their styles are same. Sometimes a child's hobbies are same as that of its parents. That is why leaders are born and cannot be made in schools or colleges. Those abilities of leading are in born. One cannot learn how to lead from surrounding. Gandhi didn’t learn ahinsa in college, it was in his nature. So we can say that certain characteristics we get by birth from genes transferred from our parents.

When a child is young, it imitates its parents. If a kid’s mother is negative thinker, and kid spends most of its time with her, then the kid may become negative thinker. Whatever its mother says those things make impression on its mind. On the other hand if mother is positive thinker, kid becomes positive thinker. The CEO of General Electric, Jack says in his biography that his mother is the most influential person in his life. The leadership style, the way of getting the best from people he learned from her. She is responsible to build his self-esteem. That means our surroundings certainly affect our attitude.

We cannot say that only surroundings affect a person's attitude. Otherwise we will always see a doctor’s kid becoming doctor, a scientist's kid becoming scientist as from childhood it will be nourished in that environment. Sometimes we see that people living in destitute become very successful in their life. In their case we cannot say that surrounding affects their attitude. Sometimes a person has strong will power and he overcomes all the difficulties and succeeds, or sometimes their parents develop them, while in some cases both strong will power and parents teachings synergies the results.

Finally to conclude, I would say that though a human being gets some characteristics hereditary from his/her parents only those does not influence his/her attitude. Surrounding also has great influence on his attitude. It is the conglomeration of both internal characteristics and surrounding. Both play an important role in determining attitude.

:o:o:o:o[dance]

• 5 weeks later...

It is my second essay written in English and the first one published. I wrote it before seeing all prevous trials on the topic. May be because of my poor English I didn't really understand why everybody wrote about children problems. What are anyway "internal characteristics"? Personal qualities, principles, believes or genes????

In any case I will be very grateful for all critics.

Javascript:insertsmilie('[heartbeat]')

Heartbeat, bOoM! [heartbeat]

"People's attitudes are determined more by their immediate situation or surroundings than by any internal characteristic."

The authors' statement that people's positions on different issues are mostly influenced by their environment than by any internal characteristic is contentious one. On the one hand, I concur that immediate situation and surroundings could have a great influence on their attitudes in some cases. On the other hand, people do act accordingly to their principles and believes. I intend to prove that both statements could be correct and the answer will depend on the context.

Abraham Maslow layed out in his famous hierarchy of needs 5 broader layers: the physiological needs, the needs for safety and security, the needs for love and beloning, the needs for esteem, and finally the needs for self-actualization, in that order. He underlined that the lower needs take precedence over the higher. Two lowest needs: physiological and for safety - are considerated as essentially survival needs and we all have these needs built into us genetically, like instincts. Under stressful conditions, or when survival is threatened, we can “regress” to a lower need level and on this level our reactions will be influenced mostly by

our immediate situation. The Donnor Party could be a good example to illustrate the concept. This is a horrific story about a group of American pioneers that encountered unhuman conditions during their expedition and in spite of their human qualities ended by murdering and cannibalizm.

Even though the Maslow's theory stands up well to the general trend, the exceptions certainly exist. These exceptions could present examples to buttress both our statements. Recuring to the first one, a good example to confirm that people's attitudes are determined by their immediate situation is numerous stories about weak, undecisive, timid women who have been transformed into courageous "lionesses" when their children were threatened.

Even more compelling examples could be found to prove the contrary statement that people do act according their internal characteristics and despite of all odds of immediate situation. The greatest model is the heroic behavior of many individuals during the war time. An example is the story of Oscar Shindler who risking his life and wealth saved many Jews in the Fascist ocuppied Poland. He could have submitted to the rules of the fascist regime as many did but his deep protest against the brutality of Holocast led him to organize the rescue of 1300 Jews from death in concentration camps. Other examples to support the second statement is the life of many prominent figures who despite of ardent situations pursued their vehement desire to create and gifted us with the masterpieces of art, music, literature and great scientific discoveries. The life of Copernic, Mozart, Vag Gogh, Hemingway and many others make us believe that we could act as we feel and not to succomb to immediate situation.

Taking all above into account, I arrive to my conclusion that people's attitudes could be determined either by their immediate situation and surroundings or by their internal characteristics. All depends on individual and on the context of judgement.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you give comments on my essay?

People's attitudes are not only determinded by surrondings, but also by internal characteristic. The issue topic make an assumption that either immediate situation have more or less influcence on people's attitudes than any interanl characteristic. People's mind, however, are affected by both external and internal factors which have similar, if not the same, effects on our reactions and attitudes.

Internal characteristic controls our attidudes in many cases, and it gives consistence on our reactions. A nice person is nice to his friends, his parents and teachers; he should not being cruel to people in particulary situation. On the other hand, people will not expect a polite person will be rude to them suddely. Our attitudes are determinated by internal characteristic in many situations, and we can have faith in predicating and judging the attitudes of the people around us based on this consistence created by internal characteristic.

On the other hand, immediate situation may dominate the determination of our reactions in some cases. Our attitudes sometimes are very different from normal situations. My friend's grandmother, who is a nice and calmy person, had commited a surprising crimes to her husband; she killed her husband with a knife after a serious quarrel with him. People who know his grandmother for a long time had not expected she would argue with her husband or kill him. This example clearly indicates how external situation, that is the qurrael between my friend's grandmother and grandfather in this instance, affects one's actions.

Therefore, internal characteristic and surroundings affect our attitudes in together. Different people will have different responses in the same situation because their internal characteristic are different. Surronding environment, however, is one of our primary consideration of selecting attitudes. Internal factors controls our attitude in most cases, and internal characteristic gives consistence on our reaction; surrounding situations affect our level of reaction, and determine our threshold of changing our attitudes. It explains why a nice grandmother treats people well in many years, but killed her husband suddenly, when her anger beyond her threshold of lossing temper.

In sum, our attitudes are determined by internal characateristic and external environment almost equally well. As both external and internal factors are affecting our attitudes in similar extent, it is not suitable to conclude which factor affect our decision more.

Issue12: People's attitudes are determined more by their immediate situation or surroundings than by any internal characteristic.

The issue states that people’s attitude is determined more by their immediate situation or surroundings than by his inner characteristics. As per my opinion, both attributes to determine person’s attitude, because attitude developed from inner characteristic might be inborn, whereas attitude developed because of immediate situation or surroundings can varied according to the situations.

First of all we consider how the internal characteristic affect the people’s attitude. When the child comes in this world, he inherits some genetic characteristics from his parents. These are nothing but inner characteristic of that person. Through child’s activities, we can predict that he is like his father or mother since his parents also possess habits similar to the child. Moreover, by studying behavioral activities of a child we can easily determine that whether he will be going to pugnacious, pacific, arrogant, stubborn or shy in adolescence. Ultimately, these innate characteristics attribute to make out people’s attributes.

Furthermore, along with internal characteristic person’s attitude can be proved from his immediate situation or surroundings. The environment where child grows up affects most to his attitude. If a child grows up in surroundings of thieves then he will also develop attitude of embezzlement since after doing larceny he will get appreciation from his parents and surroundings rather than reprimand. Such environment will promote him to become a criminal or a gangster. Thus the behavior of any person is determined by the good or bad surroundings in which he bought up. Here I want to quote an example of an angel of mercy, Mother Teresa. Mother Teresa's family was a devoted catholic family; they used to pray in the church every evening. It was her family's generosity, care for the poor and the less fortunate that made a great impact on young Mother Teresa's life. By age of twelve, she had made up her mind to help poor and needed people. She dedicated every day of her adult life caring for the dying, the cripple, the mentally ill, the unwanted and the unloved people.

Moreover, as we grow up, our attitude can also be determined through our good or bitter experiences. We started reacting differently to different incidents. Normally we used to behave nicely with the person we love as compared to one whom we dislike. Even at workplace, if our surrounding is good, co-workers are helpful and candid as well as company is paying well and cares about his employees the positive attitude and affection starts developing towards that company. But, if the case is reverse then employees started developing negative attitude about their company. Thus even at workplaces, immediate situations or environments can influence our attitude.

In sum, internal characteristics that may be inherited from parents and the surroundings where the child grows up together, contributes to develop attitude of a person. Additionally, in a long run as the situations he faces and the surroundings he interacts with, his attitude becomes an outcome of that environment.

The manner in which a person responds to various situations is determined not only by the situation that he is in but is also a mark of the internal characteristics that he possesses. He acts according to the situation using his internal skills and capabilities.

If a person acts in a manner that is not in accordance with his normal behaviour but is the demand of the situation, then he can end up being in no man’s land. Since he is not accustomed to such behaviour, he might find it very difficult to please other people with his actions. This may prove to be fatal for him rather than being beneficiary. Also, many people do not find it very easy to change their usual behaviour because of the demands of the situation. A serious person might find it difficult to share jokes with his friends in a party. In his attempts to act jocularly he might end up looking foolish. According to studies, it has been found that twins who grow up in disparate environments possess similar internal qualities and have similar interests.

On the contrary, many times it is essential that we act according to the needs of the circumstances. An ignorance of the internal characteristics in such a circumstance may prove to be helpful. Clinging on to your internal characteristics that are not the demand of the situation might lead to your downfall. As an example, a very talkative person will have to suppress his internal characteristics when he is attending a lecture in the classroom. A very jocular person will need to act accordingly when he is attending somebody’s funeral. So, the actions of a person might change according to the needs of the situation.

So, in some situations it might be helpful to act according to what the situation demands and curbing the internal characteristics might prove helpful while in some circumstances it might be beneficial to act in accordance with the internal characteristics. An individual thing does not determine a person’s attitude. It is very essential to make a right blend of all the things: the internal characteristics and the needs of the situation.

please give any suggestions and also help by rating it.

• 4 weeks later...

I would very much appreciate your honest opinion on my essay below!

The argument's main point that people's attitudes are rather determined by their immediate situation or surroundings than by any internal characteristics is a controversial one. The question whether personality traits and intellectual capabilities are predominantly determined by genes or whether they are independently acquired by situative characteristics and individual learning experiences has been highly and controversially debated in the various research disciplines of biology, psychology, and the general life sciences. In my response I will argue that a conclusive word on whether or not people's attitudes are determined by the immediate situation or surrounding rather than by any internal characteristic cannot be given.

There is a long research tradition in psychology and biology on whether or not humans behave the way they do because of heritage from their ancestors or because they independently acquired these attitudes and skills themselves. In the beginning of the 20th century most researchers, influenced by the path-breaking reserach on genetics by Mendelson, believed that human behavior is strongly determined by genetic factors. Evidence for this position stemmed from the observation that children share many physical characteristics with their parents; for instance, tall parents are more likely that their children are also taller than the average, etc. Researchers intuitively believed that these observations also hold for these characteristics which are not immediately apparant to the eye, such as attitudes, intentions, and intellectual skills. In the 1950's, the peak of behaviorism, Pawlow's and Skinner's research on animals suggested a different path; it now was believed that the immediate surrounding of people has a tremendous effect on their behavior. By the provision of feedback on intended or unintended behavior it could be shown that the occurence of certain behaviors can be systematically influenced and shaped.

One crucial determinant in the debate whether behavior can be shaped by the immediate surrounding of people seems to be childhood. It is during the first few years in which humans are most easily influenced. Studies on twins, whose actual parents had a rather low educational background and whose "objective" measures of intelligence, inferred from IQ-tests, suggest a low degree of analytic capabilities, could develop enormous intellectual capabilities if raised in encouraging families; especially when these children are actively confronted with a variety of different stimuli and when children are provided with swift and immediate feedback about their learning tasks.

Recent empirical evidence suggests that neither line of research can be supported in isolation of the competing influence; that is, both genetic and situative factors seem to play a major role in human behavior. I think that this news has encouraging implications for education, training, but also for re-socialization efforts for criminals. Humans do not necessarily passively imitate observed behavior or copy it from their "ancestors," they are also able to learn right and wrong for themselves, and more importantly, use self-reflexion to learn from their past behavior. Indeed, many authobiographies of some of the most cruel criminals indicate that these people, condemned by the public for their misdemeanor and their criminal offences, can remorse and often feel deeply sorry for their conducts. In some cases theses people even develop the strong desire to help others and to "pay" for their mistakes by actively helping others.

In conclusion, empirical evidence suggests that situative characteristics and an active surrounding can be crucial determinants on how humans develop. Moreover, it seems that the inherent genetic information which is passed on from one generation to the next is not more than an initial starting point for humans; it sets the basic and initial level of capabilities. In addition to the inhereted information, however, humans have the possibility to actively change their fate; they can make up for a less than stellar "genetical background" by hard and diligent work, by encouraging families and friends, and by a strong will and desire to succeed.

• 3 weeks later...

People's attitudes are determined more by their immediate situation or surroundings than by any internal characteristic

The above statement at first glance appear to be very true but when you try to actually define internal characteristic of a person, the immediate situation or surroundings play an important role in defining this internal characteristics.

For instance a person who is born in a very prosperous and well to do family he will have a more cavalier attitude towards matter concerning finance as compared to a person who has grown in family where there has been scarcity of sorts for money.

And this can be true for myriads number of cases where environment you have grown in will shape your attitude towards a particular situation. Like in case you grow up in situation where you see people fight over petty things than you will more often than not have an attitude where you will resort to measures which otherwise may not be considered appropriate. And also a person from conservative family is more likely to have a conservative outlook towards life.

But it will be totally wrong if we say that internal characteristic are totally dependent on situation or surroundings. Like from a famous story of jungle book, the jungle boy Mougali , though almost since his birth he was living with a wolf’s family and had friends like baloo the bear and the panther but in the end when he saw a village girl he was attracted to her and then follows her back to human society. So he didn’t loose his most basic internal characteristic of being attracted to a girl though he never saw a girl in his life.

So I would like to conclude with the statement that the above issue for me is bit entangled where you can not define clearly that internal characteristics as something which are independent of situation or surroundings though you may always point out few basic independent characteristics.