Urch Forums

023 Contemporary technology makes available many s

sow1225

Hi Amigo,

Please tell me what you think of this one!

Contemporary technology makes available many small pieces of factual information. As a result, people have become so preoccupied with bits of fragmented information that they pay too little attention to the larger issues and overall perspectives."

In this era of science and technology, information is widely received and accepted. People are so used to the factual information, as it is easily accessible. They are limited to the information they receive and give less focus on the overall perspective. Lets look into the above-presented fact.

Contemporary technology makes the people comfortable to the present, by foreshadowing the future larger issues or perspectives. Lets look into example as to how the contemporary technology presents information as a fact and how people receive it. For instance, calculators used by kids in schools. Kids learn math from the beginning, believing on the fact that the calculators provide the information they need. They become so accustomed using calculators that they never get a chance to realize, in high school, they need to do math without calculators. Even today, kids in high school are intimidated with math. People’s dependence on the technology is so high, that they forget to view it in big picture.

Fragmented information provided to the people makes them believe that every solution for an issue in a field depends on that technology. For example, lets look into Information Technology. Innovation of Internet was further enhanced and developed by using Java. People were so occupied with it for years as the technology helped to develop many web sites and answered many persisting issues in designing web sites. It hyped the market. All of sudden, people realized that the market prices were gouged resulting in the plummet of stock markets and economic recession. People tend to get easily overwhelmed with the technology that they condone the larger issues easily.

Finally, technology is very much needed for the basics requirements of the contemporary life. However, as the people receive the information provided by the contemporary technology, people get carried away by the information and tend to neglect the larger issues posed by it, which stands as a shadow to get on an overall perspective on that technology. If one can get the perspective, one can think differently by not relying so much on the information provided by the technology.

Originally posted by sow1225

Hi Amigo,

Please tell me what you think of this one!

Contemporary technology makes available many small pieces of factual information. As a result, people have become so preoccupied with bits of fragmented information that they pay too little attention to the larger issues and overall perspectives."

In this era of science and technology sounds vague,

information is widely received and accepted. People are so "very much" would be better used to the factual information, as it is easily accessible. They are limited how? to the information they receive and give less focus on the overall perspective. Lets look into the above-presented fact. "fact presented above" sounds better doesn't it?

Contemporary technology makes the people comfortable to the present, by foreshadowing the future larger issues or perspectives Nice words, but what do you mean ?. Lets look into example as to how the contemporary technology presents information as a fact and how people receive it. For instance, calculators used by kids in schools. Kids learn math from the beginning, believing on the fact that the calculators provide the information they need. They become so accustomed using calculators that they never get a chance to realize, in high school, they need to do math without calculators. Even today, kids in high school are intimidated with by math. People’s dependence on the technology is so high, that they forget to view it in big picture. Not a very pertinent example, IMHO

Fragmented information provided to the people makes them believe that every solution for an issue in a field depends on that technology. For example, lets look into Information Technology. Innovation of Internet was further enhanced and developed by using Java. People were so occupied with it for years as the technology helped to develop many web sites and answered many persisting issues in designing web sites. It hyped the market. All of sudden, people realized that the market prices were gouged resulting in the plummet of stock markets and economic recession. People tend to get easily overwhelmed with the technology that they condone the larger issues easily.

That example is very poignant... Yes, people were only concerned with the value of the stock, and didn't really care about the financial viability of the business model.

However, I don't understand the bit about people condoning larger issues ? What do you mean ?

Finally, technology is very much needed for the basics requirements of the contemporary life. However, as the people receive the information provided by the contemporary technology, people get carried away by the information and tend to neglect the larger issues posed by it, which stands as a shadow to get on an overall perspective on that technology. If one can get the perspective, one can think differently by not relying so much on the information provided by the technology.

The last sentence employs of circular logic, IMHO.

Hi Sow,

Despite my rather harsh criticism, I have to admit that you have done a pretty good job there.

Your example of information technology was good, however, the one about calculators doesn't really illustrate your point, does it ?

Sometimes you construct aesthetically pleasing yet semantically dubious sentences. As many people, including Erin, has told us, for GRE essays, functionality is far more important than beauty.

Once again, my advice to you is, keep at it, and you can only get better.

I also suggest that you emend some of your essays yourself.

HTH

AmigoRo

Hi Amigo,

Please review my issue topic on the very same subject.

---------------------------------------------------------

--> In this modern era of science and technology, information has played an important role. May it be a technical or non-technical one, the people have always tried to get the information of any kind through any means. Contemporary technologies have made them to get the piece of information within fraction of second. However using the modern technology for getting the information have made them so addict that they pays less attention to the ill effects of using that.

In earlier times, information of any kind was the result of commitment, the hard work that has been put behind getting that piece of information. With the progress of science and technology, man has found various means of getting the information. He has been interdependent on this news means of technology and thus has become unaware of its ill effect. To quote a few take the case of a child who now uses calculator for his mathematical problem. He has become some much susceptible of using it that he now uses calculator for even the small calculation. He is unaware of the fact that he is not allowed to use a calculator in his final exam, and that at the 12 hour his habit of using calculator may put him jeopardy. So also he is unaware of the fact that logarithmic tables are used instead of calculators in higher college. Thus the contemporary technology has made even the child to use to it.

Take another instance. Internet technology has provided man with huge resource of information, a sea of information. This has made the man to use it for his day to day life. Even most of the difficult problems are now available on the net. For instance take the case of programmer who has stuck up while coding for a program. Instead of exploring a more, by using a book or by trying himself, he prefers to solve the problem through Internet. Although he may get the solution for his problem within few minutes, at the same time he is diminishing his brain power for not taking its help. There are many such examples in day to day life which reflects people tendency of using the modern technology for very trivial problems faced by them.

In conclusion, people have become some much interdependent on modern means of getting the information that they hardly uses their brains. Although they may get the information within fraction of second but at the same time they are going to hamper their brain power for not using it for the same. Indeed modern technology is need for the basic requirement but at the same time people should not carried away by the information and tend to neglect the larger issue posed by it in long terms.

My comments are in Orange

Originally posted by Jai

Hi Amigo,

Please review my issue topic on the very same subject.

---------------------------------------------------------

--> In this modern era of science and technology, information has played an important role. That sentence is a bit trite, and you are stating a fairly obvious factMay it be a technical or non-technical one, the people have always tried to get the information of any kind through any means. Sentence is not very clear Contemporary technologies have made them to get the piece of information within fraction of second. However using the modern technology for getting the information havehas made them so addicted that they pays less attention to the ill effects of using that. What is that there ?

In earlier times, information of any kind was the result of commitment, the hard work that has been put behind getting that piece of information. How so? With the progress of science and technology, man has found various means of getting the information. He has been interdependent on this news means of technology and thus has become unaware of its ill effect. To quote a few what do you mean? take the case of a child who now uses calculator for his mathematical problem. He has become some much susceptible susceptible? of using it that he now uses calculator for even the small calculation. He is unaware of the fact that he is not allowed to use a calculator in his final exam, and that at the 12 hour do you mean 11th hour? his habit of using calculator may put him in jeopardy. So also he is unaware of the fact that logarithmic tables are used instead of calculators in higher college. Not in all school systems. Thus the contemporary technology has made even the child to use to it.

Take another instance. Internet technology has provided man with huge resource of information, a sea of information repetitious. This has made the man to use it for his day to day life. Even most of the difficult problems are now available on the net. answers to problems perhaps? For instance take the case of programmer who has stuck up stuck up(=Arrogant Brit Informal) ? Got stuck you mean? while coding for a program. Instead of exploring a more, by using a book or by trying himself, he prefers to solve the problem through Internet. Although he may get the solution for his problem within few minutes, at the same time he is diminishing his brain power for not taking its help. How so? There are many such examples in day to day life which reflects people tendency of using to use the modern technology for very trivial problems faced by them. What's wrong with that?

In conclusion, people have become some much so interdependent on modern means of getting the information that they hardly uses their brains. Although they may get the information within fraction of second but at the same time they are going to hamper their brain power for not using it for the same. But they could use the brain power to do other things. Why waste time doing simple arithmetic when you can prove Fermat's last theorem?:) Indeed modern technology is need for the basic requirement but at the same time people should not get carried away by the information and tend to neglect the larger issue posed by it in long terms.

Jai,

I hope you don't find me too per'nickety. Your essay is not a bad attempt at all. But please pay more attention to the usage of English. Also, don't use words if you are not totally familiar with them.

For example, susceptible means easily influenced or affected.

The politicians is susceptible to corruption.

Please also be mindful of your prepositions. Also make sure that the number of your verb matches the number of the noun. You have made these two mistakes repeatedly.

Whenever you assert something, please justify the assertion with evidence. Don't let the reader ask "But why do you say that?".

Finally, keep posting more essays. When is your exam ?

Good Luck

HTH

AmigoRo

Originally posted by ketanjain

Hi !! Hello

Nice essay indeed.....hey anybody of u gotta help me out please.... Ketan, if u followed all the rules that Erin set for approving an essay, he will surely apove it, he might be busy right now and as soon as he gets sometime, he will get back to u. So dont worry and once it gets approved many TMians will read ur essay and will evaluate it for u because i have posted my first issue here and it has not been approved by Enrin ..i dont why and how do i contact him.....please help me outttttttt......

Ketan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jai,

--> In this modern era of science and technology, information has played an important role. May it be a technical or non-technical one, the people have always tried to get the information of any kind through any means. Contemporary technologies have made them to get the piece of information within fraction of second. However using the modern technology for getting the information have made them so addict that they pays less attention to the ill effects of using that.

In earlier times, information of any kind was the result of commitment, the hard work that has been put behind getting that piece of information. With the progress of science and technology, man has found various means of getting the information. He has been interdependent on this news means of technology and thus has become unaware of its ill effect. To quote a few take the case of a child who now uses calculator for his mathematical problem. He has become some much susceptible of using it that he now uses calculator for even the small calculation. He is unaware of the fact that he is not allowed to use a calculator in his final exam, and that at the 12 hour his habit of using calculator may put him jeopardy. So also he is unaware of the fact that logarithmic tables are used instead of calculators in higher college. Thus the contemporary technology has made even the child to use to it.

Take another instance. Internet technology has provided man with huge resource of information, a sea of information. This has made the man to use it for his day to day life. Even most of the difficult problems are now available on the net. For instance take the case of programmer who has stuck up while coding for a program. Instead of exploring a more, by using a book or by trying himself, he prefers to solve the problem through Internet. Although he may get the solution for his problem within few minutes, at the same time he is diminishing his brain power for not taking its help. There are many such examples in day to day life which reflects people tendency of using the modern technology for very trivial problems faced by them.

In conclusion, people have become some much interdependent on modern means of getting the information that they hardly uses their brains. Although they may get the information within fraction of second but at the same time they are going to hamper their brain power for not using it for the same. Indeed modern technology is need for the basic requirement but at the same time people should not carried away by the information and tend to neglect the larger issue posed by it in long terms.

Using technology needs the advanced use of brains and is time saving. This is my opinion. After all isn't someone who is conversant enough on the computer to use the internet search engines pretty canny? He would have the skill of computers as well as research abilities. Anyway, just tossing around ideas.

Best wishes

• 4 months later...

Today, our world is driven by technology. Technology that brings information to us at speed of light, technology that makes us reach places that have never been explored before. It has helped us understand the most complex things and delve into the most intricate subjects. While it has been helping us understand and reach out different realms, the overall picture has been seldom captured by its advancement.

Notably, we as humans have always been obsessed with understanding the most intricate and knowing the most minute details about any subject we tend to delve into, often making the "big picture" slither into the oblivion. Another factor that can be ascribed to is one of the attributes of technology, i.e. the speed at which it makes things available. For example; Advancements in technology have led mass media to relay news as and when its happening, often these pieces of information are fragmented and do not reflect the over all perspective of the happening. Thus making people believe and ponder over these shards of information.

Nevertheless, given the time and effort taken to put these fragments in place to understand the overall perspective, people are more happy and content with what they have been provided. One needs to understand that fragments or bits of information often distort the overall truth; metaphorically, a severely damaged toenail does not signify a life-threatening ailment. People often tend to assume and draw inferences based on these bits and pieces of information.

As said and done it can be inferred that technology has been instrumental in shaping the way we comprehend things and in molding the outlook that we have toward the issues.

However, The above said concerns can be addressed with much more improvisation in the present technology, as it is technology that has helped us understand many things, and if not for it, there wouldn’t have been resources that would make us comprehend issues that we are able to today.

As I conclude, I would like to state that technology does make people ponder over the factual information that it provides, distancing them from the overall perspective, but then, it is once again technology alone that can provide solution to it.

• 3 months later...

Please, criticize if possible. I'd like to know where I stand. I finished it in 40 minutes.

"Contemporary technology makes available many small pieces of factual information. As a result, people have become so preoccupied with bits of fragmented information that they pay too little attention to the larger issues and overall perspectives."

I tend to disagree with the statement's unfounded conclusion. I concur that contemporary technology makes available many small information fragments to the general population, such as headlines, and out-of-context data. However, the lack of attention and interest in larger issues or overall perspectives are not a product of technological advance, but a characteristic of the human being. Indeed, insightful and thorough articles are made available due to the same technology.

It is well known that today's technological and globalized world provide us with a great amount and diversity of information not abundant in earlier days. The internet for example has enabled known and unknown publishers to post their ideas and insights in the form of interlinked documents, which anyone in any corner of the world is able to access it for a small fee, or even for free. One might argue that such data comprise mostly of headlines or out-of-context small articles. However, publishers usually reflect what people want and desire. If that kind of news are the ones people tend to read or hear more often, that is exactly what they are provided. In order to persuave them to be interested in larger pictures, one most solve the problem at its root - people's futile desires and non willingness for profound issues - instead of blaming it on comtemporary technology alone.

The statment makes a dubious attempt to generalize all the information generated by modern technology. There is no doubt in my mind that there is a variety of thoroughly written articles and columns out there, that constantly revises the world's economical and political matters. World renowed magazines such as The Economist and Le Monde Diplomatique are perfect examples of such insightful conglomeration of political, economical, and globalized information. Technology has just helped them publish more issues every month and spread their influence around the world, and not just their home countries. Both these corporations have their place on the internet, where individuals can just access it and obtain bigger pictures on meaningful matters.

Last but not least, I believe that the statement's affirmative claim that small piece of fragmented information are a result of contemporary technology begs the question. The availability of such data can be a very positive step towards constructing two-sided and unbiased opinions. With such vast information flowing around on the internet every day, one can quickly understand many country's or politician's point of view over an important issue and therefore form its own comprehension of the matter at hand. Technology therefore has indeed contributed to the proliferation of ideas, and how one use it is usually very subjective. Factual information is nevertheless also subjective and can be very informative or deceitful if the source turns out to be somewhat unreliable.

In sum, I strongly believe technology has not just put small pieces of factual information for the general population to read and hear. The last decades of technological growth has also provided us with the chance to research for ourselves all the sides of a story or even provide us with more access to products of think tanks such as world known magazines and publishers. With the wealth of information at disposition today, one must choose what kind of data one prefer to assimilate - out-of-context statements and opinions or well-prepared and knowledgeable articles.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Could you review this essay for me? I think I've digressed a bit, and am short on examples, but I can't think of anything else.

"What is this world if full of care?

We have no time to stand and stare,"

-- William Wordsworth

A more fitting summary of today's world would be hard to come by. An average person's life today is a very busy one, full of pressures, deadlines and resposibilities, none of which can be avoided or escaped from. It is seldom that we find time to relax and enjoy ourselves, and such moments are usually spent on lighter, less taxing activities. At the end of the day, it is an uncommon person who has the time and the energy to consider the world around him, and reflect upon the way things are. This disconnection of the person from the whole is one of the primary reasons that we lose sight of the larger perspective of life.

So who is to blame for this sorry state of affairs? Tthere are a number of factors to be considered. As I mentioned, nobody has any time. Surely one cannot blame the Earth for spinning so fast about its axis and making a day only 24 hours long. It is we who are to blame for the way we are. Yet, there are other matters to consider as well. What are the elements of our life that keep us in touch with the rest of the world? They are television and newspapers.

These two media take most of the responsibility for keeping us informed of the state of the world. Unfortunately, they do not do a very good job of this. The media today has deteriorated to being merely the propogator of sensationalism and little else. For example, in my country, there was this particular day on which there was a tragic train accident in which several hundred people were killed or injured. As I was watching the coverage of this incident, the newscaster suddenly interrupted the news with an "important" breaking news item. It turned out that one of the most popular actresses of our country had sprained her leg during the shooting of a movie. I always did feel that the news media today had lost track of what news is important and what is not, but that day was a jolting reminder of how bad things really were. It may seem that I have digressed, but my point is that some of the responsibility for this lies with us. Society has come to a point where we feel a greater need to follow the lives of celebrities than to follow the affairs of governement.

One must conlude then, that if we are the source of the problem, surely it is in our hands that the solution lies. We are shown only what news we wish to see. Television news channels and newspapers are usually open to public opinion in the form of telephone calls and letters. We must use these channels to communicate to the decision-makers in the news industry what it is that we wish to be informed about - the issues that matter, and not base and sensational happenings.

This, in itself, is not sufficient, however. It is upto the individual to take time out from life to get involved with the important matters of life. This can be done by setting aside a small part of the day - as little as half an hour - for meditation, or some other equivalent acticity. Alternatively, periodic breaks like getting away from the city for the weekend, would also help us give ourselves time to think. This is essential if we wish to improve the quality of our lives.

• 2 weeks later...

023"Contemporary technology makes available many small pieces of factual information. As a result, people have become so preoccupied with bits of fragmented information that they pay too little attention to the larger issues and overall perspectives."

The issue states that the technology prevailing in contemporary world has provided us many small pieces of factual information. Due to this, people become so engaged with this fragmented information that hardly any attention is paid to the larger issues and overall perspectives. I partially agree with the issue. The concluding statement seems to be too spacious. It is true that contemporary technology has gifted us many small pieces of factual information like headlines and easy access to any kind of data, but the technology has also make us acquainted with larger issues and overall perspective. As per my thought, it depends on the desire of individual that to pay attention to the larger issues or not.

Advances in technology have enabled us to travel more places, communicate with more people from different walks of life, and learn about world from our desktops. The cardinal communication media, Internet, is nothing but a vast sea of knowledge. Through this media, many publishers post their thinking and opinion about any issue. Moreover, Internet has also given the facility of doting down our opinion and comments about that issue. However, most of the people are not interested in knowing about the larger issues. They just want to know about the main points of that issue. Thus, as per the reader’s choice, the contemporary technology has developed small pieces of factual information.

Moreover, it is not the case that contemporary technology has not provided the detailed information about any issue. There are different political, national, international columns available over different information related web pages, which continuously displays the information about latest trends occurring worldwide. Additionally, technology has also assisted in distributing the detailed informative magazines like The Economist, to spread vast information among the people. Therefore, individual can get access to these facilities and can gain knowledge about bigger issues and overall perspectives occurring in the world.

Lastly, the claim that technology has provided many bits of fragmented information, because of which people have no time to care about bigger issues and overall perspectives is seems to be unconvincing. With such a vast data flowing along with Internet, with the small bits of information we are atleast aware of every political, economical, as well as public activity in the world. Thus, technology has gifted us a media, to proliferate the information throughout the world corners in small fragments or with detailed explanations.

In sum, contemporary technology has not only provided us with bits of fragmented information but also make us acquainted with deepness of the information. It varies from person to person that how they make use of the prevailing technology. Thus technology has provided facilities to both kinds of people, people interested in small pieces of factual information as well as people concerned with bigger issues and overall perspectives. It’s totally individual’s opinion that where to pay more attention.

• 5 months later...

The exam date is coming closer and closer, and this is my first try in

GRE issue. Any comments, criticisms, etc will greatly be appreciated

In this era of rapid social and technological change leading to many small pieces of factual information available, some would say that people have been preoccupied with bits of fragmented information that they can lose the large picture. However from my point of view, it is only because of each of the narrowly focused information at each of field that a full and true understanding of the complexities of life can be had.

First of all, in the field of computer, modern technology makes the information more accurate and comprehensive. For instance, we can get numerous information from the intent. If we want to travel to a city while we do not know much information about it. We can find as much as information about that place from the internet. We could know the weather, the custom , the traffic and prepare luggage which should be taken during the journey. We also can learn some simple language of that country which attribute to more convenience in the tour. Furthermore , if we don`t know whether the city is a beautiful place that deserving visit. We can see a lot of comments in the forum . Of course , some view might be positive about that place while others might be negative , however, more information we get, more clear opinions of our own can be formed. This illustrate that fragmented information are helpful to the recognize of the whole picture.

Secondly , in the area of medical research such as the exploration of gene, the information make large benefit to some illness and the studying of life. The research on the gene engineering advanced our comprehension on the humanity. It let us know that the human bodies are composed and dominated by a good deal of gene. The success on this research can explain some severe illness which the doctors couldn`t understand in the past and heal this kind of illness through changing the gene. This research makes grate progress to the medical and to the whole human-being. As a consequence .we can get the viewpoint that fragmented information provide a fundamental basis for the cognizance of the overall perspectives.

In conclusion, although contemporary technology makes information more scattered and unsystematic, we can get considerable advantage from them , only when one can make with them a mosaic then we can see that they may form a picture.