Urch Forums

178 It Is possible to pass laws that control or

sweety

Hi All

This is Aparna.....here is the issue and i want comments on that...

thanx..

178. It is possible to pass laws that control or place limits on people's behavior, but legislation cannot reform human nature. Laws cannot change what is in people's hearts and minds.

The issue at hand says that it is possible to pass laws that control or place limits on people's behavior, but legislation cannot reform human nature. I am absolutely agree with the statement. And it is also true that laws can not change what is in people's hearts and minds.

It is necessary to pass some laws that control people's behavior and to run the country peacefully. There should be some laws that will control the city traffic, some bussiness laws that will help to prosper the business, some laws that will restrain people from doing crime. These laws are helpful for goverment to run the country neatly. If there are no laws then the world would be like a mess. Anybody is doing anything. And it would be very harmful for the life of the people.

In a country like US, there are speed limits for driving a vehicle on every street. So generally people drive their car within that speed limit just because thay are afraid of getting cought by police and the punishment they give. It is not the law that prevent people from doing crime but it is the fear of punishment after getting cought by police. Law come into picture only when one gets cought after he does crime. So people think that there is very rare chance of getting cought especially at night then they do speeding. And nobody can prevent them for doing the same.

Legislation can just pass the laws on a perticular situation but it cannot reform human nature. As I said, Law come into picture after the crime has been done and not before that. So law cannot do anything if one just wants to kill somebody but only after one kills somebody and cought after that. When a person does crime, he only thinks with his heart and not by brain. The situation around make him to do that thing and that time he cannot think what will be the consequences of that crime.

When a very poor person gets hungry and he has no money to buy a bread then law can not prevent him to steal a piece of bread from a shop. Beacuse in that situation he can not think what will be the ill-effects of stealing a bread. He is totally thinking by his mind and his mind says that 'I am hungry and I want something' and that helps him to steal a bread.

In sum, law can not change what is people's hearts and minds. In this world people are free to do anything and just fear of punishment after getting cought can prevent him from doing a crime. When a person commits a crime then the surrounding situation makes him to do the that and law can not change the situation of that person. Thus law can not reform human nature.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by sweety

178. It is possible to pass laws that control or place limits on people's behavior, but legislation cannot reform human nature. Laws cannot change what is in people's hearts and minds.

The issue at hand says that it is possible to pass laws that control or place limits on people's behavior, but legislation cannot reform human nature. I am absolutely agree with the statement. And it is also true that laws can not change what is in people's hearts and minds.

Some grammar mistakes. Also, you mirror the original wording too closely.

It is necessary to pass some laws that control people's behavior and to run the country peacefully. There should be some laws that will control the city traffic, some bussiness laws that will help to prosper the business, some laws that will restrain people from doing crime. These laws are helpful for goverment to run the country neatly. If there are no laws then the world would be like a mess. Anybody is doing anything. And it would be very harmful for the life of the people.

Grammar problems again. Writing is a bit simplistic.

In a country like US, there are speed limits for driving a vehicle on every street. So generally people drive their car within that speed limit just because thay are afraid of getting cought by police and the punishment they give. It is not the law that prevent people from doing crime but it is the fear of punishment after getting cought by police. Law come into picture only when one gets cought after he does crime. So people think that there is very rare chance of getting cought especially at night then they do speeding. And nobody can prevent them for doing the same.

Avoid using a whole paragraph for one example. More grammar/spelling problems.

Legislation can just pass the laws on a perticular situation but it cannot reform human nature. As I said, Law come into picture after the crime has been done and not before that. So law cannot do anything if one just wants to kill somebody but only after one kills somebody and cought after that. When a person does crime, he only thinks with his heart and not by brain. The situation around make him to do that thing and that time he cannot think what will be the consequences of that crime.

When a very poor person gets hungry and he has no money to buy a bread then law can not prevent him to steal a piece of bread from a shop. Beacuse in that situation he can not think what will be the ill-effects of stealing a bread. He is totally thinking by his mind and his mind says that 'I am hungry and I want something' and that helps him to steal a bread.

In sum, law can not change what is people's hearts and minds. In this world people are free to do anything and just fear of punishment after getting cought can prevent him from doing a crime. When a person commits a crime then the surrounding situation makes him to do the that and law can not change the situation of that person. Thus law can not reform human nature.

Score: 3.5-4.0

This essay is a bit repetitive and misses the point a bit. Were I to write this essay, I would mention that laws and attitudes are often reciprocal; i.e., they reflect and influence each other. And in a locale in which people have a least a bit of respect for their laws, customs, or practices, these people often look to the laws for guidance, so in a very real sense, they can influence people's deepest thoughts.

Run your essay through a spell- and grammar-checker to find some very obvious mistakes.

I suggest you look at some of the other essays posted here; there are many good ones. Also, please try to comment on other essays, since that will help others while also helping you to understand what you need to do to do better. :)

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone,

this is my first essay here, and i'm taking the test next Monday

Any comments are all welcome:P:)

Topic: 178 It is possible to pass laws that control or place limits on people¡¦s behavior, but legislation cannot reform human nature. Laws cannot change what is in people¡¦s hearts and minds.

Society is a gathering of human beings. Living together is human nature. Ever since several cavemen inhabited in the same cave, human started the era of co-inhabited. People gather together in order to corporate. Because a single man cannot do all things by himself, people search for help and also do his effort for others as return. Therefore, some cavemen hunted, some gleaned fruits, some cleaned the cave, each one did his/her for the whole while the whole gave more to every individual. The small society has begun.

However, everyone is unique and distinct from others. They have different thought and different concepts, and naturally pursue their own well-beings. Conflicts will be aroused as more and more people living together in a society. Consider that if there¡¦s no limitation made for the greedy desires, the world will be such a mess. Here we set up laws, in order to prevent harm from others, and also to restrict one to infinitely enlarge his/her desire without considering others¡¦ feelings. As stated above, laws are making protection to people, even though they appeared to be restriction to individuals.

Therefore, laws are set up from people¡¦s mind. When most of the people are being threatened by some others for these fewer ignore others and only care about their own profits, people set up rules. Being limited and restricted by laws, people are affected by laws in their behavior, and also, in their mind. Ever since a baby comes up to the world, he/she is told what is good or bad, what is allowed or restricted. When we are told that what can and what can¡¦t do, we are imposed of some kind of education. This is the education from law, while the law is set up from our heart and mind. Therefore, we are actually educated by our heart and mind.

The most precious part of laws in human society is its flexibility. Most modern and democratic countries have theirs legislation systems. These legislation systems serve as means for people to express what they want for the society. Under debate and discussion, people try to make laws that can most suit for the present social and political conditions. Therefore, laws are always adapting, to find the most appropriate position to protect people.

Laws reflect the present people¡¦s desire and also give protection to people. We are affected by laws and also making ourselves¡¦ laws. This is like gravitation force between two objects; each gives and also receives force from the other. Good laws remain, with their spirit, even though they may change their appearance sometimes, while bad laws diminish. This is how our society progress.

Society is a gathering of human beings. Living together is human nature. Ever since several cavemen inhabited in the same cave, human started the era of co-inhabited. People gather together in order to corporate. Because a single man cannot do all things by himself, people search for help and also do his effort for others as return. Therefore, some cavemen hunted, some gleaned fruits, some cleaned the cave, each one did his/her for the whole while the whole gave more to every individual. The small society has begun.

in think ur first paragraph is a bit off topic. i know you want to say that when people started living together they felt the need for the law. But i think if u at all need that u can push in next paragraph. In first paragraph clear ur stand and the context in which u will be discussing the issue

However, everyone is unique and distinct from others. They have different thought and different concepts, and naturally pursue their own well-beings. Conflicts will be aroused as more and more people living together in a society. Consider that if there¡¦s no limitation made for the greedy desires, the world will be such a mess. Here we set up laws, in order to prevent harm from others, and also to restrict one to infinitely enlarge his/her desire without considering others¡¦ feelings. As stated above, laws are making protection to people, even though they appeared to be restriction to individuals.

not yet the stand made clear

Therefore, laws are set up from people¡¦s mind. When most of the people are being threatened by some others for these fewer ignore others and only care about their own profits, people set up rules. Being limited and restricted by laws, people are affected by laws in their behavior, and also, in their mind. Ever since a baby comes up to the world, he/she is told what is good or bad, what is allowed or restricted. When we are told that what can and what can¡¦t do, we are imposed of some kind of education. This is the education from law, while the law is set up from our heart and mind. Therefore, we are actually educated by our heart and mind.

The most precious part of laws in human society is its flexibility. Most modern and democratic countries have theirs legislation systems. These legislation systems serve as means for people to express what they want for the society. Under debate and discussion, people try to make laws that can most suit for the present social and political conditions. Therefore, laws are always adapting, to find the most appropriate position to protect people.

here u can open the paragraph with the statement that laws reflect the attitudes of the society. What society thinks is bad is prohibited by law. Lawmakers take into consideraton what is accepted by society and what is not

Laws reflect the present people¡¦s desire and also give protection to people. We are affected by laws and also making ourselves¡¦ laws. This is like gravitation force between two objects; each gives and also receives force from the other. Good laws remain, with their spirit, even though they may change their appearance sometimes, while bad laws diminish. This is how our society progress.

also i think u can add one more paragraph saying how laws influence our attitude. For example, In my country many bad customs such a child marrage have been completely abolished. Laws prohibiting such customs have helped a lot in eradicating such evil customs. Now people believe that indeed such customs are abd

i think u should always conclude ur essay. Without conclusion ur essay will look incomplete

hopw my suggestions will help you

• 2 months later...

Laws are meant for restraining people’s illegal behavior that might be harmful to the society. In my opinion, although laws cannot reform human nature, they can influence people’s deepest thoughts. Thus, I partially agree with the issue statement.

Legislation passes different laws that restrict people’s abnormal behavior and insane desires. Different laws like from violation of traffic rules to the death sentence are passed by legislation to attenuate crime from the country. Since law violators has to face severe punishment, a feeling of safety origins among people mind and they start respecting and obeying the law system. In country like US, people respect and obey laws because they know that no one can escape from the punishment, either monetary or physical, for violation of any law it may be traffic violation or a felony.

Laws are not only meant for giving punishment but also to gain our rights of freedom. People having respect for their laws, practices or customs often look for it as guidance. For example, Child Marriage Restrain Act was passed to restrain the solemnization of child marriages, which was a traditional customary in many regions of the world. As per this Act, early marriages violets the rights of personal freedom and growth, thus anyone who performs, conducts or direct child marriage would be punished.

When one person gets punishment for performing illegal behavior, it is a lesson for people to eschew such behavior. Thus laws restrict people’s mind from doing any wrong deeds, because once he caught in hands of law there is no escape from it. However, it is impossible to completely reform human nature and his illicit behavior, the 11th September attack on World Trade Center is the victim of such uncontrollable behavior of human nature.

In sum, it is true that laws cannot change what is in people’s hearts and minds but atleast restrict people’s mind from doing any illegal task. When people respect their laws and consider it as guidance, it certainly affects their deepest thoughts in minds as well as in hearts.

• Like 1

Please comment on my essay. I think it should be more longer. Can anyone tell me what is expected length.

Laws are required to control the behaviors of the people that are harmful to the society. It cannot change hearts and minds of all the people, but certainly, it affects thoughts and ideas of most of them.

It is obvious that with the presence of law, crime rate has reduced to large extent. The society without laws would be a total chaos, where every person tries to benefit himself without thinking of society as a whole. Fear of punishment associated with the violation of law discourages people from doing the activities that are detrimental to the society. However, there is no society in the world that is free from crime. This fact is supports the view that legislation cannot reform human nature. It is true that, law can easily control one’s external behavior and activities, whereas it is difficult to change a person’s thoughts and beliefs. For example, we find that in the United States, a few people are racist even if the laws support racial equality. Laws forbid these racist people to voice their opinions and thoughts publicly, but it fails to change their opinions.

Legislature cannot ensure that it will affect opinions and beliefs of every person in a society, but it has been successful in changing the opinions of most of them. These changes are not sudden, instead, they occur over a period. Take same example of racial equality, earlier when a law of racial equality was passed, many people had a racist opinion. Since laws required no discrimination among the people, whites and blacks started assimilating together. This assimilation among the people created a close bond between them and most them now do not hate each other only because they belong to different races. Earlier the racial discrimination was so prevalent in the American society, but today racist people are seen as stigma to a society. Law plays an important role in this change of opinion among the people.

Human behavior and their activities can be controlled in a short a period of time. Therefore, these changes are obvious to people. Moreover, laws are not yet successful to change every person’s ideas. This is because ideas and thoughts of different persons are formed under different circumstances and conditions. However, we cannot ignore the fact that gradual changes are occurring in the society and laws are one of the important reasons for these changes.