Urch Forums

please criticize my essay (from powerpreo) on "media tend to create rather than ..."

gandalf7

this essay was written in a timed environment.

"The media (books, film, music, television, for example) tend to create rather than reflect the values of a society."

I contend that media sometimes creates the values of a society and sometimes reflects it.

Values of a society change over time. We have seen ample examples of acceptable tradition becoming taboo over time. It was not unnatural for a 16 year old to be gifted a packet of cigars on his birthday in the 1920s . But today , we seldom see this happening. This is so , because the general outlook towards smoking has changed. A similar change can been seen in racial segregation .

New values are added to society. Prevention of creuelty to animals , keeping the country clean and pollution free and all values which were not present a hundred years ago. Somewhere in the course of the past hundresd years , they were injected into our society. Today , people care if they see somone spitting the chewing gum outside a dust-bin.

How do different people start accepting the same values ? Surely , there must be a common medium which has presented the values to them. There may surely be values which are intrinsic in all humans , but surely ,not all values of a society are thus. Therefore , we can conclude that some common medium has presented the values to people in the society , and I contend that this meduim is what we call media.

Media is a powerful means of communicating with the masses. Different media reaches different classes of people. For example , books and newspaper will directly affect only literate people whereas broadcasts on television would not directly affect people living in non-electrified areas. But such inequity usually does not exists in people belonging to the same society. A society does consist of diferent classes of people , but popular media is usually available to all.

Media has been used as a tool to change values of a society. Media affect popular sentiment , and thus , may be used to aftrificially create values in society.We can see many example of this.Ciggarette smoking is becoming increasingly looked down upon in todays society as a result of the many advertisements in media like television , news papers etc. This change in value could not have come about without media. Even though people few people knew about the risks of smoking way back in the 1940s , the word never really spread out. Without appropriate coverage by media , such a sentiment could not have been developed at large.

Hitler created an anti-semetic sentiment by very effectivel using media. He was an excellent orator and used this skill to convey his ideas. He also took control of newspapers , magazines and the television to inject into society , the values he valued. During the Nazi era , the set of values that existed in germany , thus , were very different from what we see today.

Media also often reflect the values of a society. How else can we know about the values of yesteryears ? Many great classics like "The tale of two cities" , "to kill a mockingbrd" reflect on the values of society in their time. Newspapers and music, television and music videos reflect on many values of society like culture , popular dressing style etc.

Thus , we can conclude that media greatly influences values in the society and also reflects it.

• 4 weeks later...

I find your essay quite good. But, to my opinion, you should keep attention on a couple of aspects:

I find that the following text doesn't make a point. It doesn't help to support your view.

Media is a powerful means of communicating with the masses. Different media reaches different classes of people. For example , books and newspaper will directly affect only literate people whereas broadcasts on television would not directly affect people living in non-electrified areas. But such inequity usually does not exists in people belonging to the same society. A society does consist of diferent classes of people , but popular media is usually available to all.

In addition:

Many great classics like "The tale of two cities" , "to kill a mockingbrd" reflect on the values of society in their time. Newspapers and music, television and music videos reflect on many values of society like culture , popular dressing style etc.

I think you should develop more these examples. They can surely be of great help.

In general, your point is quite clear but to me, the essay lacks of a clear logical organization.

I give it a 4.0. Hope that my commentary be of some help. Later I'll post my own essay, which I don't intend to be perfect, but I'll try. My commentary was based on what I've read, not that I'm good at essay writing.