Urch Forums

Can anyone please care to help me

Any one please can help me to understand the meaning of this topic:

"Patriotic reverence for the history of a nation often does more to impede than to encourage progress"

I have very throughly surveyed the meaning of each word in the literature and web, and none of them relate "patriotic reverence of history" with freedom fight, heoric acts of the ancestors or political endeavors. But almost all of the test-takers present take it in that way.

To my understanding, history is a very broader term, it includes our cultural traditions, our geographical history, language, social and economical past, scientific achievements, literature, etc. Please comment.

Seeking your guidance.

Did you miss a lot, trying to read inbetween the words

Can the meaning of the sentence be this way:

Patriotic reverance for the history: Effort taken, when writing the history of the nation or in a later time, to revere the patriots, modelling their thoughts, deeds,etc..

Impede the progress of nation: Set models or old thoughts of this reverred patriots, which, because of being out of current time, impede the progress of nation

Hi,

I would like to quote an anecdote in response to ur question:

"History is always written by the winners. When two cultures clash, the loser is obliterated and the winner writes the history books- books which glorify their own cause and disparage the conquered foe. As Napolean once said, 'What is history, but a fable agreed upon'?By its very nature, history is always a one-sided account"

So, the topic "Patriotic reverence..." means essentially this..by being fiercely patriotic to the history of one's nation, we overlook the glaring facts/truths of the opponents/events of the past(coz of its one-sided nature) and in the process, we are impeding the growth of the nation!!

This is what i feel!