Urch Forums

Not submitting gre subject score--does it look very bad?

Guest SeaUrchins

Guest SeaUrchins

I am trying to apply to biochemistry programs, and I did poorly on the gre subject score. I will not submit it to schools that don't absolutely require them.

Problem is that most schools say "STRONGLY" recommended...

so does it look really bad if i don't submit them (like will they think, he didn't submit it because he didn't do well?)

I took the GRE subject test 4 years ago. The score was horrible (I didn't have time to study). But it didn't prevent me from being admitted to a top public school. It was the master's program. I'm taking it again this November since schools strongly recommend the GRE.

Why don't you retake it in December? There will be a lot of competitive applicants with the GRE.

International students must have GRE subject score above 80% to be competitive for good schools. If you are not international and have good GPA, strong research experience, etc, I think you will be OK without GRE subject score. When I did a summer research program at a good but not great medical school (ranked between #20-30, according to usnews), I met some grad students who did not even take it. One said she was interviewed at Duke. Hope this helps.