Urch Forums

How did everyone do on the November 2005 test?

Hi guys,

I am happy that I don’t need to think about this freaking test anymore. I am wondering how everyone on the forum did on the test. So, please write any comment on the test and advice for future test takers, if there are any.

My test was a lot easier than the sample available on the web. I guess the scale will be harder than the sample.

Here’s my advice.

1. Start from the first question. It seemed questions were getting harder as you go on. Because every question weighs equally, there is no way to start from difficult questions.

2. Get the older test (there is one test available which is different from the sample on the gre.com). I got many questions that are basically the same but stated differently. I think somebody posted a link to a Chinese website which has pdf file of the older test (the post might be like a year old).

Hope everyone did great on the test and will be accepted prestigious schools.

The test was pretty easy.

i did the grave mistake of not spending even one whole day to read for the test. My exams were/are going on and i just couldnt think about reading anything extra. i had to guess between two options for many questions. i am hoping for an average score. let us see....

suggestions for future test takers:

1. working out the model paper given by ETS is an absolute must. (i didnt do that either)

2. if you want to really prepare, do so systematically with one text book each for the three subjects and spend some considerable time on prep. dont think you can ace the exam without prep even if you are a bio wiz. it doesnt work that way. (i tell this because I have an A+/A in all the BCMB courses, but i know i will only get an average %ile :( )

I got through the entire test, probably skipped about 5-8?

I didn't necessarily think the test was harder than the sample booklet, but it did stress areas that I don't like as much (particularly for the experimental portion). So in that sense it was more difficult/annoying for me.

I had the same test as yt68, or at least the same first question.

• 4 weeks later...
I just wanted to tell that Nov 2005 test score is available now by phone. I got 680 (94%). Get your credit card ready! By the way, I wonder why we have to pay $10 to just hear my score and $15 for a score report for each institution. It's just insane! I paid over $200 for the subject test and score report!

I just wanted to tell that Nov 2005 test score is available now by phone. I got 680 (94%). Get your credit card ready! By the way, I wonder why we have to pay $10 to just hear my score and $15 for a score report for each institution. It's just insane! I paid over $200 for the subject test and score report!

Also why does their automated service close at 10pm? I'm tempted to stay up until 6am EST to get my score. But I won't.

And I totally agree about the score report. Not only is the money you pay ridiculous, the whole process is ridiculous. I spent 30 minutes on the phone typing in numbers to get my general GRE forms sent to just 5 schools. Now I'm going to have to do that for 9 schools for the subject forms. I really wish they would just charge us a lot more and create an online database that all universities would pay a fee to access. (And the universities could then charge more for applications if they wanted to.)

I'm sick of dealing with sending a bunch of forms in.

Congrats on the 680 btw. Awesome score!

Hi amazeme,

If you have taken biochem, cell bio, and genetics courses before, and have some thoughts on them, I don't think you need extensive study. Just one month is good enough. I studied for one month, 2-3 hours each day. Be sure to concentrate on materials suggested by ETS and questions asked on the sample tests. You can significantly reduce study time by doing that. For experimental sections, I would suggest to understand some techniques, such as immunoprecipitation, western/northern/southern blot, restriction enzyme digest, gel electrophoresis, restriction map, 2D-PAGE, etc… All the techniques you need to know are pretty basic.

I will disclose questions I encountered on the real test after I get offers. I know nothing will be likely to happen if I do so. But, I just want to stay on safe side and feel secured.

Please ask further questions if you have any.

• 1 month later...

Riiiiiight. I suppose I would be inclined to believe you if you hadn't already announced that you wouldn't post your score because it's "private." But now I'm thinking that you probably tanked it because no normal person (i.e., one who is *not* heavily addicted to crack) would wait this long for a score that should have been available a month ago. Either way you'll probably fit in fine at Berkeley -- if you're doing crack you can find some decent stuff on Telegraph; and if you're just trying to hide your subject test that's why they don't require it.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, housecleaning, why would athena come back TWO MONTHS LATER and make up some claim about a missing test score to hide a bad score.

If he/she had received a bad score, he/she would have happily kept his/her mouth shut. It's not like anybody had demanded him to give a score. There was no reason to find this thread again unless he was dealing with a new issue.

And are you really that surprised that ETS would mess something up??? I don't think it's athena who's smoking the crack...

To athena: I'm terribly sorry to hear about your problems with ETS. At least it seems like schools are willing to interview you regardless. Good luck on your interviews and good riddance to ETS.

• 3 weeks later...