Urch Forums

FOR GRE BCM Test takers OCT 2007 and NOV 2007

hello

I m taking GRE BCM test -nov 2007 @ canada

GRE General on December 2007

i got 2 months to study for GRE BCM and 1 month for GRE GENERAL

going to attempt both test in canada

after that TOEFL

wut u guyz think ???? 2 months for BCM and 1 month for General will be enough time ?

My background is i did Msc in biochemistry from SBSPGI Dehradun (Ist Div), One Publication and almost 2 years Research Experience @ PGIMER Chandigarh

and Want to persue for Graduate Studies in Canada

any reference to the material for BCM or GENERAL

Thanks

hi sohi..

2 months for the subject GRE exam should be sufficient. For the general GRE, 1 month might just fall short, because the word lists need to be mastered along with the rest of the sections...u could try preparing for both exams together...with appropriate time management.

it might just work...

good luck!

aninsen.

• 2 weeks later...

aninsen,

what textboks do you recommend for studying th e topics listed onthe ets website. Iassumed the topics lsited there are accurate. I ahve lehninger biochemistry, which is huge, Albert's Molecular Biology, Griffits Genetic Analysis. I've heard taht some USMLE books can be good, but don;t know which ones, and if they will help at all.

Also, another question. I am stil ahving doubts about taking Biology or Biochemistry. I know that the percentile matters a lot. Are there less people taking the biochem?

Thanks in advance!

Dear Tide,

I think the books that you have are just fine. this is the list that i think should work.

1.Lehninger or Stryer -for Biochemistry

2. Lodish -for Molecular Biology

3. Bruce Alberts - for Cell biology

4 Griffiths- for Genetics.

Unfortunately, i am not aware of any USMLE books, however couple of people have mentioned about hthe Schaum's series of books, but I am afraid I havent got a clue about those either.

Regarding your second qn: which test you take, depends on the requirements of the program that you will be applying for. For most of the Biosciences programs, e.g: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology/Cell Biology..etc..they ask for the subject GRE in Biochemsitry,Mol-bio. But I do know, that it is a pretty difficult exam to crack than the biology exam. I dont think there are less people taking the Biochem exam, considering that it is held worldwide!:)

So, good luck,:tup:

cheers!

Thank you for the advice aninsen!

I have started preparing, but it is becoming overwhelming to read four core textbooks and know them. The topics as they are outlined on ETS are very general, and there is a lot of material in each of those textbooks. I started reading Lehninger, pretty much from page one, and a lot of the material in the beginning was easy to go through, however, there are parts that are very new and take a lot of time to go through. Do you know if there are chapters in these textbooks that are a "must". I'm thinking that I should start with such chapters first, and then proceed to the details in the rest of the text. I read somewhere on this forum that ch16-18 in alberts are very useful. Some similar pointers for the other books/material. I'm overwhelmed, and I udnerstand that it's common for this test, but I also want to stop panicking and start acting in a way that makes sense.

Thank you for the input!

Best,

HI aninsen,

i have registered for the november subject gre in biochem. I donot have any publications and have taken my general gre(1360). What do you think my chances are to get into Univ of California, SF or LA. and is there a way to block the subject gre scores from reaching the institution after the exam in case i ve mucked it up? i m very worried as i havent started preparing.

Hello tide...

i share the same point of view that it realy is overwhelming to go thru the whole text. i believe the applctn based questns will require us 2 lay our hands on more questions and practice material... any pointers on the important chapters... i have done an assorted study of lehninger.

Hw do u go about preparing reading whole text?

and please tell me about what material are you consulting apart from text...

Good luck for all ur futur endeavors

Dear GRE my future,

If you want to find out whether or not your scores are good enuf for a certain university..why dont u checkit up from their website...they generally have a cut-off mentioned..otherwise u can mail the admissions person and discuss about it...they are generally very helpful..

i am not too sure about blocking of the subject GRE score..i think the scores are delivered only to those univ, where you intend to send them to.

good luck!