Urch Forums

Open source project (of small to moderate size) - How helpful it could be? any idea?

Please vote by choosing what you think  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Please vote by choosing what you think

• Do it, will be of great use
    • May be useful to some extent
    • It depends - can't really say anything
    • May not be of any use
    • It may look deliberate act - Stay away from it (Don't mention on application).

Hi guys,

General Question:

how useful you think involvement in open source projects can be for admissions?

Not big projects like Apache or Linux, but small to moderate size.

Will universities have enough time to checkout what we have done and what project it is to consider it as a factor for admissions?

Specific part regarding me:

I was doing some course in Artificial Intelligence, and as a course requirement I had to do some project. And I chose to do a AI project on Automatic Document classifier (or can call a Spam Filter too), I got very much interested in that topic and want to take it more seriously, work for sometime and convert it from a course project to a serious piece of software and release it as a open source project(working with one more guy on this).

So, my question is, will such things help in admissions?

Will they(can they) really go checkout the project and if its good, consider my application seriously.

I am a non-CS guy (or more specifically, Electronics and Communications Graduate), and want to do MS in CS. Will this be more helpful in my specific case?

Also, I would release it may be in July, And will be applying in November!!! So will it make it seem deliberate act for admissions??? :hmm:

Please share ANY information/Thought/Opinion you guys have regarding this.

Please also take the Poll I have put on top of this post (Numbers really help!!!:p)...

Thank You

MicroKernel :)

To - Moderators,

Sorry for posting here, I realized that it may not be the best place for this post (after posting here!!!), but as I am a regular visitor here put this up here before realizing. Please delete this from here (Even if I can, I don't know how to :( ), I am posting same post in admissions section. Sorry again for the mistake. Thank you :)

Edited by microkernel
Had to put some note to moderators, correction