Urch Forums

GRE-CS Nov '12 Study group, Anyone?

Hi Guys,

This is Praful here BE (2004) from Pune Unviersity - 7 Years of Software Development experience and I am planning to purse MS CS in Fall 13

I am planning to start a online/offline Group for GRE-CS Nov '12 in India. My undegrad is non-CS and hence have started preparing quite early. However I feel the pinch of not having a partner/group to study with. From what I read on the various forums the GRE Subject test-CS is quite exhaustive and it takes dedication to prepare and score well on the test.

With help from all the posts on this forums and the most detailed and correct reply's from CalmLogic, I have piled up a huge resource on this test and would like to share with you all.

I would like to group with my fellow GRE-CS exam aspirants and study in collaboration, so that we can help each other with resources, questions and in understanding any concepts.

Please reply to this post and we can soon take it up.

Thank You

Praful Memane

• 2 weeks later...

Hey grecompsci,

Great to hear from you.

I am also planning for Fall 2013, the test would be around November'12. Do you have any study plan created yet, I mean details on topics and schedule/date you are working on.

How about if we can chat, I will private message you my contact details and if we have more people joining us we could create a google-group so that we can collaborate more.

Thank You

Praful Memane

hi

i dont have a schedule of preparation. but roughly i am reading all the topics from standard text books. i am taking each subject at a time. i am using nptel videos for reference of topics which i dont understand from text books. ideally i want complete the syllabus one month before the exam and spend the last month for taking practice tests.

but the trouble i am facing is in knowing how deep should i go in a given subject/topic. many have suggested to read GATE exam books but the syllabus seems to be very extensive for GATE. as there is no standard test preparation book for GRE ( i know there is the ets booklet but it is not of much help) i think this is the biggest difficulty to keep myself on track and in accordance with the syllabus that needs to be studied. because many times when u read a subject u so engrossed in the subject that there is very chance of digressing from what is to be studied for the exam. obviously we have to stick to the exam content as we have very little time

is the exam available only in november or in april also?

how are you preparing? i guess its better we continue our communication here because other buddies might see and participate in the active discussion.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...
hi

i dont have a schedule of preparation. but roughly i am reading all the topics from standard text books. i am taking each subject at a time. i am using nptel videos for reference of topics which i dont understand from text books. ideally i want complete the syllabus one month before the exam and spend the last month for taking practice tests.

but the trouble i am facing is in knowing how deep should i go in a given subject/topic. many have suggested to read GATE exam books but the syllabus seems to be very extensive for GATE. as there is no standard test preparation book for GRE ( i know there is the ets booklet but it is not of much help) i think this is the biggest difficulty to keep myself on track and in accordance with the syllabus that needs to be studied. because many times when u read a subject u so engrossed in the subject that there is very chance of digressing from what is to be studied for the exam. obviously we have to stick to the exam content as we have very little time

is the exam available only in november or in april also?

how are you preparing? i guess its better we continue our communication here because other buddies might see and participate in the active discussion.

cheers

Hi

I want to pursue MS in VLSI so wanted to know wether AGRE in CS is mandatory for me as in some universities/schools,it falls under EE and in some EE/CS?

Hi,

I am also giving my subject GRE this november and currently doing back exercises from Sipser. Do you have any idea about any solution book that might be available that can help to know if I am solving the problem correctly or not. Let me know if you know something.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Praful,

I am too writing Subject Test this november and applying for fall 2013.I have not started studying yet.Going to study from this weekend.So can I get your materials,please?What all have you started studying?

Thanks,

psy

Hi psy,

Sorry for responding late. My office schedule is too busy and hence couldn't reply to you. I am really sorry.

Okay so to answer your questions now.

1. Study plan: Since I am not a BE Computer science student. I really have no theoretical background on many core computers science courses. My plan is very basic; I took the GRE Subject test content, break into the sections and have started with going through each subject targeting the core subjects first, discrete maths, Algorithms and Theory of computation.

2. Course material: I have downloaded the materials as mentioned in various links by calmlogic and others.

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gre-computer-science/62746-advice-needed-gre-cs-prep-test-april-14-2007-a.html#post411230

http://grecs.wikispaces.com/

3. I have downloaded the books for Networking, TOC, Algo, Disc math and Compilers and have got hands on few test booklets. Not much :(

4. I have a very basic plan on excel sheet, which I am trying to nail every subject on which GRE asks questions. (if you want can mail you.)

This is what I have till now. Please email me if you need anything more.

Thank you

Praful Memane

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I m also planning for MS in Game Development and i have given general GRE test and now planning for subject GRE test as its mandatory for some univ. and also for non CS student.

So, any suggestion regarding subject GRE are welcome.

And Thanks for creating this thread . :)

Thank You,

GameDeveloper

Hi,

I m also planning for MS in Game Development and i have given general GRE test and now planning for subject GRE test as its mandatory for some univ. and also for non CS student.

So, any suggestion regarding subject GRE are welcome.

And Thanks for creating this thread . :)

Thank You,

GameDeveloper

Hello GameDeveloper,

From what I have read over the internet and FAQ sections of CompSci department of many US universities. GRE CS is recommended (read compulsary)f or people from Non-CS background majors.

When I applied last year, I was suggested to take the courses (online) or maybe test my self for this Exam to let the admissions committe judge my core computer science skills viz Discreete Mathematics, Algorithms and TOC.

If you have a BE/BS in computer Science then having papers submitted to international journals or good research experience is suggested.

Thank You

Praful Memane

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

i am from coimbatore. I am also preparing for the Nov 2012 GRE computer science.Lets plan our syllabus first and start working on.

SOFTWARE SYSTEMS AND METHODOLOGY — 40% A. Data organization

Data types, Data structures and implementation techniques

B. Program control and structure

Iteration and recursion, Procedures, functions, methods, and exception handlers, Concurrency,communication, and synchronization

C. Programming languages and notation

Constructs for data organization and program control, Scope, binding, and parameter passing, Expression evaluation

D. Software engineering

Formal specifications and assertions, Verification techniques, Software development models, patterns, and tools

E. Systems

Compilers, interpreters, and run-time systems, Operating systems, including resource management and protection/security, Networking, Internet, and distributed systems, Databases, System analysis and development tools

II. COMPUTER ORGANIZATION AND ARCHITECTURE — 15%

A. Digital logic design

Implementation of combinational and sequential circuits, Optimization and analysis

B. Processors and control units

Instruction sets, Computer arithmetic and number representation, Register and ALU organization, Data paths and control sequencing

C. Memories and their hierarchies

Performance, implementation, and management, Cache, main, and secondary storage, Virtual memory, paging, and segmentation

D. Networking and communications

Interconnect structures (e.g., buses, switches, routers), I/O systems and protocols, Synchronization

E. High-performance architectures

Pipelining superscalar and out-of-order execution processors, Parallel and distributed architectures

III. THEORY AND MATHEMATICAL BACKGROUND — 40%

A. Algorithms and complexity

Exact and asymptotic analysis of specific algorithms, Algorithmic design techniques (e.g. greedy, dynamic programming, divide and conquer), Upper and lower bounds on the complexity of specific problems, Computational complexity, including NP-completeness

B. Automata and language theory

Models of computation (finite automata, Turing machines), Formal languages and grammars (regular and context free), Decidability

C. Discrete structures

Mathematical logic, Elementary combinatorics and graph theory, Discrete probability, recurrence relations, and number theory

Guys this is how i am planning the syllabus.

Looking at the important topics,

I am planning to go with Discrete maths for 1 week till sept 8 goin through the ADUNI video lecture,then the following weeks with Algorithms and complexity and then Theory of compuatation all ADUNI lecture videos till 23rd sept.

Then some 10 days on Computer Architecture and remaing on the first part software systems and methodology and review some question papers.It really short time guys. Have to work hard.

venkateshwaranm: "Guys this is how i am planning the syllabus.

Looking at the important topics,

I am planning to go with Discrete maths for 1 week till sept 8 goin through the ADUNI video lecture,then the following weeks with Algorithms and complexity and then Theory of compuatation all ADUNI lecture videos till 23rd sept.

Then some 10 days on Computer Architecture and remaing on the first part software systems and methodology and review some question papers.It really short time guys. Have to work hard."

You have a very ambitious plan venkateshwaranm;I am unaware about your backgroud if you are a BE CS then it should be doable for you.

I would again stress on going through the test first or titaniumbits just to get a hang of what kind of questions are bieng asked and once you know what areas are really weak concentrate on those.

Just FYI. I have been through those Lectures by Shai and they are really worth watching and learning. Please stick to your plan and don't wander much into detail because the questions range over a multitude of areas of Comp Sci from Architecture to Theory and Programming concepts. Let me know if you have any mock GRE CS test papers.

Praful Memane

hi,

i am from non computer science background.But we dont have any other go except to cover these chapters in 2 months. I shared how i am gonna work on this plan.3 videos per day without disturbing my regular scheduled. I am working and hence i cannot afford to spend much time on this.do you have the link for titanium bit question papers?.And are you from computer back ground?. No issues yaar. We will finish it for sure.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I am software Engineer at ST Micro. I want to join any online/offline Group for GRE-CS Nov '12 in India. I have a huge amount of material to share but still I feel it is insufficient for 90%. Also need to discuss preparation tips/time table.

Yahoo group is almost dead now (filled with junk)

We need to have shared hub of resources using services like dropbox, google docs, mediafire etc for preparation. Those who are interested please reply.

Thank You

Ashish Tanwer

Hi Guys,

I am software Engineer at ST Micro. I want to join any online/offline Group for GRE-CS Nov '12 in India. I have a huge amount of material to share but still I feel it is insufficient for 90%. Also need to discuss preparation tips/time table.

Yahoo group is almost dead now (filled with junk)

We need to have shared hub of resources using services like dropbox, google docs, mediafire etc for preparation. Those who are interested please reply.

Thank You

Ashish Tanwer

Hi Ashish, I am based in Thane and work in Powai, Mumbai. Moderator edit: Your contact information (or request for contact informatino) has been removed. Please use the PM system to contact forum members (Quick link: Send a PM). For more information, please see the forum rules. If you have any questions at all, please ask us in the feedback forum. :)

This is a question from ETS 2012 Sample AGRE paper..Q23 for reference.Did not know how to solve it.What does 9A81 16 mean?

A computer memory system has a 64KB byte-addressable main memory with 16-bit addresses. This same

system has a one-level cache memory that can hold 16 blocks of data, where each block contains 16 bytes.

Assuming this is a direct-mapped cache, to which cache block will main memory address

9A8116 map?

(A)

016 (B) 116 © 816 (D) 916 (E) A16