Urch Forums

CS GRE dates are too close to admissions deadline!

Hi!

I intend to apply to CS PhD in several universities by December 2005, to begin in Fall 2006. However, I noticed that most of the universities I researched have application deadlines around December and, to my atonishment, the CS GRE test dates are also on Nov/Dec (these are all last year's data)! Considering the 4-6 weeks average time it takes for ETS to mail the exam results to the departaments, this actually exceeds most of the PhD admission deadlines!

Guys, am I correct on this? Because it seems REALLY weird that ETS and the universities would stand idle in face of this problem. If it is really the case, what must I do?

Thanks!

-- Meneldur

Guys,

There is no need to worry. I've been through this process and AFAIK, universities take this problem into consideration. They'll wait for your official scores before deciding on your application.

Good luck!

Cheers!

hi meneldur :)

a confirmation from gforce is as reliable as it gets :D

i am a fall 2006 aspirant myself & i know from many of my friends that its true. the'll wait for your cs GRE score if you tell them u r appearing for it. good luck with your exam!

roni

:blush::blush:

thanks for the wishes gforce! actually i can't spare more than 1.5 to 2 hours per day for AGRE; i am in the later part of my last year of undergarad studies. i will accelerate the pace once i graduate in june. thanks again for the good wishes, & just keep up the good work!:tup:

• 4 weeks later...

People,

This year, the test will be administered on Nov 12 and Dec 10. Scores will be sent to the universities on Dec 22, for those who took the test on Nov 12; and Jan 13, for those who took it on Dec. Jan 13 is almost a month after most deadlined, whereas Dec 22 is not that far from it.

My local test center will offer the CS AGRE only on Dec 10, so my scores will reach the universities about a month after the deadline. My concern is: will people (from other cities or countries) who take the test on Nov 12 have an advantage over me in the selection process, since their score will be known by the ACs before mine? I am a bit worried that the universities perhaps select the candaditates early among those whose applications are already complete (ie, their AGRE score already got there) and leave behind those applicants whose score has not yet arrived.

Is this pure paranoia or does it really happen?

Thanks a lot!

Hi!

the early your scores arrive, the better

it's OK to take GRE CS in Dec, if the deadline is in January-February

but if deadline is in Dec (Dec 1, Dec 15), you should take exam in Nov

and don't forget to

inform your department (or office of admissions) that you are going to take GRE CS and tell them the date of your exam.

if you don't tell them, they'll not even know that you are going to take GRE CS, and they can reject you on that basis.

good luck!!!

• 1 month later...
Hi!

the early your scores arrive, the better

it's OK to take GRE CS in Dec, if the deadline is in January-February

but if deadline is in Dec (Dec 1, Dec 15), you should take exam in Nov

and don't forget to

inform your department (or office of admissions) that you are going to take GRE CS and tell them the date of your exam.

if you don't tell them, they'll not even know that you are going to take GRE CS, and they can reject you on that basis.

good luck!!!

Hi Kpp ..does this mean that u apply to the college beforehand and ask them to wait for ur GRE CS score.. or u hold back ure app till ure grecs results are out.. i guess it's quite obvious .. but still cross-checkin.. anyway.. so if they do wait until they receive ure AGRE scores won't it be a little late.. u see i've already given GRE and TOEFL and was all set to apply early.. so if i apply as early as sept but the dept. has to wait for my grecs score till dec won't it hamper my chances?

Sakib,

I really dont think that will hamper your chances for one simple reason: everybody else will be facing this problem. The AGRE was not offered this April, so most of the candidates will be doing the exam on Nov/Dec, just like you.

Anyway, I think one of the key issues here is the selection method: how are the admissions processed?

Are they processed in a first-come-first-serve basis? If that is the case, then I think the earlier you apply, the better are your chances (unfair, in my opinion)

Or do the departments wait until a specific date (probably the deadline) for applications to arrive and then review them all at once, in batch mode (much fairer)?

Should I really make an effort to apply as soon as possible (as if it increases my chances) or doesnt that make a difference?

Thanks!

admission committes work differently in different universities

some review your materials on first-come first-served basis, others will wait for the deadline (+ may be a week or two). check policy at a web site

the only important thing is not to be too late with the scores

if you take AGRE in December 11, add 6-7 weeks for scores to get to Univ, and you will get something in February. Some universities have their decision made by mid or end of Feb. So you get the picture.

if deadline is on Dec 1 or Dec 15, it's reasonable to take GRE in November.

also

yes, you can apply very early, but in many cases this might not give you a substantial advantage over other applicants.

and in no way you should wait for your scores to arive

apply as soon as you have all other materials ready.

(but i think that your should have your TOEFL and GRE General ready by the time of your application, because in this case you yourself will have clearer picture)

>> i've already given GRE and TOEFL and was all set to apply early

>> if i apply as early as sept but the dept. has to wait for my grecs score till >> dec won't it hamper my chances?

no, it will not reduce your chances. just be on time as i said, that's all that you can do about it.

hope it helps

good luck!!!

ya meneldur.. i think as everybody's facing the same problem.. it shouldn't make much of a diff.. i think the univ's might have to revise their schedule this time round.. what do you think are the odds of that happening? .. normally i guess most univ's process the apps in batches.. the whole procedure consisting of three or four batches.. still being in the first pool might help as at that time all the seats are vacant..

and kpp ..yes i guess giving the test in nov is the best best.. but we can send our GRE gen and TOEFL scores along with our application early isn't it? or do we have to send the scores of all three tests together?

Hi!

to confused_sakib

you should send copies of all score cards you have together with other documents (these copies are for review purposes). don't send your original score cards, they are for you:)

and be sure to send official score reports through ETS (to the graduate office, department or whatever is stated at a web site)

good luck!!!

Guys,

This is the dumbest question you have seen in this context, but still I have to ask this because I lack the knowledge. Where do I register for the AGRE in Comp sci? In case you want to refer to the prometric website, please tell me the option to select from the initial drop-down menu that appears.

Thanks a lot

Your dumb-brother

Well, what really itches me is that the AGRE is being offered in my city only on Dec. If I decide do it on Nov, I'll have to travel 500 km to another city and do it there. Besides, I could really use another month of preparation :)

But from the comments posted here, I guess that will be it...I dont wanna risk being rejected because my "AGRE scores arrived too late and all spots had already been filled in". :P