Urch Forums

Does University takes the latest Sub GRE score

Hi all

I am non CS student and planning to give sub GRE for CS on Nov 2. As I am not left with much time to study all things I am just trying to go through few topics viz operating systems, discrete & data structures.

If score would not be as per xpectation (that would probably take place) then I will give the sub GRE in April in Nepal again. The only help that I could get from Nov GRE that I would be able to access my self and will know the pattern of test....

What u all thinks Is giving AGRE in nov worthwhile

or should I give it in April direct

Will universities will take the latest score or just first test

All suggestions r appreciated

It all depends on the university's selection committee. It's likely that at least some universities will only consider your highest or most recent score. However, some other universities may take all of your scores into account:

Score recipients are cautioned not to view an increase in scores necessarily as a reflection of academic gain, especially over a short time period. Differences in Subject Test scores over longer time periods, however, may be significant in terms of academic gain due to intervening learning experiences or of academic loss due to forgetting.

There are several ways in which graduate departments can judge multiple scores for an individual (e.g., use average of all scores, use most recent score, use highest score). Using the mean score may be the best technique because it is the most objective. Whatever approach is adopted, it should be used consistently with all applicants.

http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/GRE/pdf/994994.pdf

No one really knows for sure how most universities will interpret multiple GRE Subject scores. The most optimistic outlook was from a forum member named toupsz, who believed that your most recent score is most important:

...I think the standard with the GRE is to take your latest score, although that might differ from school to school..the only other option I could possibly imagine is that it would be your best score that they take...

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/33984-post6.html

If you have time on your side, others will say it's not worth risking getting a bad score on your report if you can avoid it since your Subject Exam scores from the last 5 years will always be reported together.

However, for most universities, my guess is that your most recent score matters far more than your previous scores. The reason I believe this is because no computer science grad program has ever said on their website that they average GRE Subject scores.

Also, since human nature is to study at the last minute, it may be a good idea to take both the November and April exams. Certainly, taking the exam the first time tends to be a very motivating/humbling experience since the exam covers so many topics.

BTW, the top grad schools care more about your potential for doing research than anything else:

At CMU we receive hundreds of applications each year from 4.0 GPA students who have never done research. These are all put into the high risk pile and are subsequently rejected.

Applying to Ph.D. Programs in Computer Science

Therefore, a research project (even if the research isn't published but is mentioned in a recommendation letter) can be another way of getting a competitive advantage over other students.

Hi Calmlogic,

thanks for ur reply,

But as I come to know from ur previous replies that u have taken subject GRE sometime before too, and about to give it in december. What was the overall period difference in the two tests. With the constraints attached to me like will be applying for Computer Science for fall 2007 I need to give it in November, Secondly why I am planning to give it in April that say I get the score of something around 690 or 700 then still I can apply with this score to universities(Though wouldn't help much to get topnotch university but could fetch admission from NCSU or Columbia in Computers. And I feel it would be good achievement for Non CS background student to get that with 2 month prep)

Now giving it again in April will help like if I score in range of 750 or above then I could join university and then apply for transfer to better grade college with my second GRE score)

What u say is this plan quixotic or well laid.

But if I directly plan it in April what would happen is niether I will be touch with prep nor I come to know the exact depth of the exam.

What topics have u read till now

reply soon

Certainly, I am all for taking the exam as often you like since I believe the benefits are obvious and the disadvantages are not evident. Since you want to apply for Fall 2007, then it seems you certainly have no choice but to take the November exam unless you apply to schools that have a later admissions deadline, like maybe Florida Institute of Technology, in which case you could take the December exam.

My feeling is that a score of 690 or 700 will likely not be enough for the CS grad programs you mentioned (Columbia & NCSU) even though they accept people with non-CS backgrounds. This is because at those schools there is more competition and so people with non-CS backgrounds (like myself) may have to score higher than those who have already proved themselves with a formal background in CS courses and/or research. (A score of 700 is around the 40th percentile, and even non-Ivey League schools like Colorado State want to see at least a 50% percentile on the Subject Test if one does not have a CS background.)

Now giving it again in April will help like if I score in range of 750 or above then I could join university and then apply for transfer to better grade college with my second GRE score)

What u say is this plan quixotic or well laid.

The primary problem with this idea is that the number of credits that can be transferred is limited. Of course, each university has their own policy.

Worse come to worse, if you aren't accepted into any of the programs you apply to, one option is to take a few grad courses as a non-degree seeking student (either in person or via distance learning) while you wait to reapply next year. The problem with this, however, is that non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid. Another way to stay "in the game" is to do some research either on your own or on-the-job.

I am non CS student and planning to give sub GRE for CS on Nov 2.
I think you mean November 4th, which is a Saturday.

thanks buddy for ur suggestions...the most important thing that I get out of this conversation is that 700 score would be not be good enough to get some university like Columbia with aid actually I quoted the eg. of columbia university coz a friend of mine with same credentials (in fact a bit less) with no such good experience that I atleast possesses.

On the other hand Kaykay a member of Urch from Non CS background is able to grab Columbia with full aid

Hey can u tell me how much score would made 50 %tile in sub gre

Hey can u tell me how much score would made 50 %tile in sub gre

To my knowledge, no one in this forum has reported a score that was exactly at the 50th percentile. However, I do know for sure that a scaled score of 720 = 47% and a scaled score of 740 = 54%. This is based on what others have reported in this forum and based on pg. 15 of the ETS score guide.

(The raw score differs for each test since some test forms are harder than others.)

On the other hand Kaykay a member of Urch from Non CS background is able to grab Columbia with full aid

Maybe KayKay will come back and enlighten us. I don't know what score she got but my guess is that it was closer to 800 than 700 since she got funding.

Also, maybe KayKay also had a very compelling application besides her GRE CS score. For example, maybe she also had experience doing a research project even if it was not in computer science.

Another member, charlieboy, got admitted to Columbia's PhD program. His stats:

GRE: 800 800 6.0

CS GRE: 830 (87%)

GPA: ~3.98

MAJORS: CS & Math

RESEARCH: 2 Projects, no papers

SCHOOL: Small liberal arts college, but has sent a few grads to Columbia's CS PhD before.

FELLOWSHIPS: Won 2, actually, and an Honorable Mention for a third, but I only told Columbia about one of them (other's came after I was accepted) so I don't think they count. I'm taking only one, of course.

OTHER: I took a course in Columbia last semester with the professor who admitted me into his lab, which was certainly helpful. I basically haunted the CS department for a few months, visting a bunch of professors and trying to keep my name on their minds.

Columbia for me

Of course, most members on this forum who have applied to Columbia were denied. For example, bilash was denied admission to the PhD program at Columbia. He had a score of 740 (54%) on the GRE CS exam. He was accepted to the MS program at Columbia but without funding. Therefore, he decided to go with the Ohio State PhD program since they offered him full funding.