Urch Forums

recommended reference material

suchit

Hi,

My name is Suchit Kumar. I am doing my B.E. in computer engineering from Bombay University, India.

I have just registered for the cs subject test. However, I dont have much knowledge of the material to study from.

I would like to know of the books or web-sites that could help me in my preparation. I have about 2 months to prepare. I would like to know whether I should do in depth research from books, or study from the net. My guess is net studies would be faster.

Suchit, unfortunately there's no good guide book to study for the GRE CS.

I'd suggest taking the official GRE CS Prep Guide with the 70 questions available on the ETS website for free download. Then you'll be able to see where you stand. Then, you have an idea of what to study and will be able to search for books and old undergrad notes. And as always, keep in touch in this forum and we'll solve each other's question...

But 70 questions could be too less to judge where i stand. are there no other sites with practice tests available?

Some of the topics are very abstract. If you don't get their answers right, you might have to do a study. The subject test might not even ask those kinds of questions, as the topics could be very abstract. especially the theory topics.

What should be done.

Suchit, you're pretty much on the same boat as all of us. I'd also like to have more official practice questions, but I can't find anywhere. Somebody told me that IITians have compiled a list of CS questions that might appear on the GRE from previous tests, but I don't know how to get those.

Yes, it is definitely a lot of study. I would suggest to refresh the topics you studied in undergrad, and if you don't have much time, don't spend it studying new subjects that might be hard to understand alone with a book...

I have bought a couple of books from the Schaum's outline series and they contain a lot of practice questions that sounds similar to GRE questions. Take a look at them.