Urch Forums

applyin for fall 08 (CS) /AGRE on Nov3/from elex backgrnd/Shall i postpone my AGRE?

payal khimani

Hey every1,

I am Payal Khimani.

I am new to this forim.Have subject gre on Nov,3.I am from elex background and have 1 yr + exp at Infosys till now...

Read many threads but couldnt figure out where exactly to start from.

I found the 2007 practice AGRE book(one which ets provided) very difficult :(

I have my applications (fall 08) + this AGRE exam.

Can anyone please help me how i shall go about......

I mean where exactly do i start studying from and what material should i refer to.....Is there any particular order in which u need to start studies....can any1 pls help....only 1 month left for the exam!!!!!

Can i postpone my AGRE to April,2008?I am applying for fall 08 for Masters in CS only.

This is because frankly speaking i have not started my studies in full flow.

Also I am finding the portion very difficult (Elex backgrnd).

I am intrested in Cs(hence want to do Masters in CS)...but i think i need proper time to prepare for CS subjects.

Thanks ,

Payal.

Fall(2008) admissions deadlines for most top schools start around December 15th 2007 and end around Feb-March 2008. So, if you take your AGRE exam in April 2008, you most certainly will not be able to apply for Fall 2008 for the top schools. Since you indicate that you are not adequately prepared for the exam, i would advise you to prepare for the AGRE in April 2008 and then apply for Spring 2009. There will only be a four month delay since Spring 2009 means you will be able to start school in January 2009. But, the problem is there are not many top schools that have admissions for Spring semesters. Cornell and UCLA are the ones i can think of right out of the top of my head. It is an other matter if you want to apply for schools that don't really require AGRE scores . In that case you could go ahead and apply for Fall 2008 semester.

rajkumar

Well for most top schools a good score is one above 90 percentile. For example UC,Berkeley says most students who got admitted took the AGRE and had above 90 percentile scores. But having said that, there is no one criterion that the admission committee bases it decision on. There maybe cases where the AGRE scores are low but the person has very good recommendation letters along with good research experience in a particular field that might make up for a low AGRE score.

rajkumar

If one did not take CS courses in college (discrete math, algorithms, theory of computation, computer architecture, operating systems, etc.), then, generally speaking, one's chances of getting 50th percentile or higher are unlikely, especially with only 1 month to prepare. Among those without a CS background, I would think getting below 30th percentile is not uncommon. However, you may need to take the exam to show you have a sufficient CS background, in which case having a score of 50th percentile may be better than nothing. In any case, preparing for the exam will certainly be an educational experience, but I would not have my scores automatically reported.

For study tips, see:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gre-computer-science/62746-advice-needed-gre-cs-prep-test-april-14-2007-a.html#post411230

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gre-computer-science/72131-advice-independent-studies.html

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gre-computer-science/?order=desc&sort=voteavg

Even among those who majored in CS in college, got good grades, and studied for months for the GRE CS, there are so many stories of lower-than-expected results:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gre-computer-science/8501-how-did-people-do-nov-8-test.html

Therefore, the average AGRE (GRE CS) is not-too-impressive at the relatively lower ranking MS programs:

the GRE examinations required, and the TOEFL exam in the case of foreign students. (The mean GRE scores for a recent entering class of students were: Verbal 580, Quantitative 782, and Computer Science Subject Test 752; the mean TOEFL score was 268 (minimum 213 required by the university). )

Computer Science, Rutgers University: M.S. Program in Computer Science

In contrast to the general GRE, the people who take the GRE CS exam are a very small, self-selected group of people, which is why it seems most test takers may be surprised by their percentile score. Even at the larger universities (test centers) in the US, it seems there are often less than 3 or 4 people taking the GRE CS, though these numbers are probably higher at top schools like CMU. Also, at most test centers, there may be no one taking the CS exam during the most unpopular testing date in April. (The most popular Subject Test is Psychology.)

hello payal

even im giving my test at mumbai. Actually i registered very late i.e. on 24th of last month. I started preparing but i didn't recieve exam ticket. How long it will take for recieving ticket from ETS?

Hiiii...

Well i had not registered for subject gre online...i had couriered the printed form to Pitsburg(I had registered in early sep and got the ticket last week i guess....)

anyways...u can do 1 thing...go to ets.org.....subject gre section...and post them the same querry....they will reply to u atmost in 2 days saying that they will send you a confirmation mail once your registration is confirmed and that you can take print out of that confirmation mail and appear for the exam in case you dont get ur ticket till Nov 3.....I had done the same thing...but now i got ma ticket.

mail them today itself.....

hope this helps......

let me know if u have any doubts....

Thanks ,

Payal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Night,

I am giving my subject gre on Nov 3 ,2007.

I had downloaded the form and mailed it at Pitsburg,USA.

Now how do I add the 4 free score recepients ?

I mean what is the process to report scores to 4 free grad institutions?

I have got the correction stub with my exam ticket.Do i have to use that?

Thanks,

Payal

Hey thanks a lot!!!!

I will email my list to them.

I went through the form and they have also provided their fax number.

So i will use one of the 2 methods.

Thanks a lot!!!!!! :)

Actually i had 1 more doubt....By putting "y" in General and subject gre scores......will I be able to send both my test scores for free?

hi All

I have received MAIL from ETS which has GRE CS Subject test booklet only. I didn't find my admission ticket inside. Do they send booklet & ticket separately???

I have registered online...

someone pls. tell me how they received ticket? along with booklet or separately???

Do they send booklet & ticket separately???
Yes.

someone pls. tell me how they received ticket?
I think most people who registered relatively early have received the ticket at this point. I'm sure you will get your ticket. However, it is not absolutely necessary to have the ticket on test day. Each test center receives a list with the names of all the test takers. Also, ETS.org says to simply contact ETS if you don't get the ticket 3 days (?) prior to the exam date.

Actually, you can even use the email Id provided on their site and mail your list to them. Just prepare a table similar to the one that is there on your correction stub. I did that and I got a confirmation in less than a week.

Hi taro_curly,

Can you just confirm me whether I should email them my 4 univs for free subject gre scores through following screen of ets?:

just needed a confirmation from you...

the page starts with the following.

Its basically place where you can post your querries.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions and Comments for the GRE Program

Before you send us an e-mail with your question, you may be able to quickly find what you're looking for in our comprehensive

No luck? Please fill out the form below for assistance.