Urch Forums

take the CS GRE?

akouklo

Hi everyone,

First, I apologize if this is the improper forum for this question.

Second, this is a great site and I appreciate all the information I have received.

Third, I am signed up for the CS GRE on Dec 13. I am in California and am currently working full time at a large engineering firm. I just graduated from a Cal State Univ where I did fairly well (overall GPA 3.82, Major GAP 3.85). The General GRE went ok (Q 790, V 540, A 5.0). I am considering not taking the CS GRE because I feel I will be under prepared. Several of the schools I wish to apply do not require the CS GRE so it makes me less inclined to take a risk on the test. Below is a list of schools I am planning on applying to and their position on the CS GRE:

USC : Not required

UCSD : Recommended but not required

UCI : Not Required ?

UCLA : Required :(

UCSB : Not Required ?

Loyola Marymount Univ : Not Required

And a Few Cal States : Not Required

My first choice was UCLA however, if I do not take the CS GRE I won't get in. Nevertheless, I believe I would still be happy with several of the other schools listed.

What are my chances of getting into these schools with my current marks? Are there any other schools I should also apply to? Is it wise not to take the CS GRE(mainly this question is in regard to getting into UCSD)?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and assistance.

akouklo,

I am in the same situation as you. I am planning to apply for top 15 schools for MS/PhD CS. I got GRE Q800, V680, AWA-pending. I am counting on my industry experience (6+) and strong recos. I have however decided to take the GRE CS anyway. I will do my best, in spite of very short time and time constraints due to work. There are some schools like Carnegie (may be too high for my scores!), you of Wisconsin, etc that do not ask GRE CS even for determining aid. I guess we should not miss such schools.

However, I would like to know one thing. Suppose I report my AGRE CS scores and if it turns to be a poor, would it be detrimental? Would I be better off simply not reporting the score if I am not confident at the end of the test?

- murboy

Murboy, I had a similar predicament. I am V:670, Q:800 and AWA: 6 on my General GRE. But most of the schools I am applying to strongly recommend the Subject GRE. And guys, the admissions committee takes everything into consideration, even the fact that you've been out of academics for a long time (six years?!) and so your concepts are likely to be a little rusty. I think it would be sufficient to score around the 90 percentile, and that would require us to get a raw score of 55. Akoulo - for those schools you do not need to take the Subject GRE, and I am guessing that with your great GPA, they would already assume that you have good enough Subject knowledge - thereby obviating the Subject GRE.

Thanks murboy and dionysus for your help.

Do you think I have a good chance at UCSD? Anyone that is currently enrolled in this program or has been accpeted would really be helpful(or anyone thats wants to put in their $0.02).

Also, are there any California schools I should also consider?

Thx