Urch Forums

Subject GRE v/s GATE

abhi_86

Hi

I would like to know how Subject GRE compares with GATE exam. Is preparation for GATE sufficient for Subject GRE barring a few concepts or is it completely different from the GATE exam.

Also i wrote GATE exam and got a 90th percentile but a poor rank(1600 AIR).

how would you rate my chances at subject GRE considering the above performance.........do i stand a chance to score a decent percentile as of now ?

thanks.

I can only say that the correlation between scores on the GRECS and scores on the GATE is much weaker than one would expect. For example, one guy who got a 99 percent on the GATE got about a 50 percentile (730) on the GRECS, as listed in the Edulix reports infoBank.

Is preparation for GATE sufficient for Subject GRE barring a few concepts or is it completely different from the GATE exam.
Nothing is sufficient for the GRECS exam :) Even a CS professor (not from a well-ranking school) who took the test got below 80th percentile, though he would certainly have faired better if he studied more. And the students who do get 90+ percentile on the GRECS still wish they got a higher score to help get into Berkeley, CMU, etc.

So I would put it this way: some questions on the GATE exam are more relevant than others (and one would have to judge for oneself by looking at the ETS booklets), but even those good questions are just good for practicing and cannot provide reassurance, especially since even the ETS booklets cannot provide reassurance. Be afraid, be very afraid :) That's the kindof attitude one needs to score well as almost everyone scores lower than they expect.

i am applying for the MS program in the universities. would a %ile score of 80 be sufficient to get into a mid tier school ( 25-35 rank in US news).

actually i had applied for fall 2008 but dint get the universities which i wanted. thats why i am thinking of taking up subject GRE. my GRE general score is 1390.but acads is a bit less........ and thats where the problem is :(

actually i had applied for fall 2008 but dint get the universities which i wanted.
Which universities are those? Anyway, I would aim for at least 790 or 800. I don't know offhand what that percentile would be, but you can read the previous posts in this forum for an idea:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gre-computer-science/78897-post-agre-post513709-8.html

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gre-computer-science/78897-post-agre-post513709-10.html

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gre-computer-science/78897-post-agre-post513709-12.html

• 7 years later...
GRE aims to measure verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, analytical writing, and critical thinking skills that have been acquired over a long period and that are not entirely based on any specific field of study outside of the GRE itself.Thus, we can not predict What kind of Questions are likely to come.But there is good news for you!ETS provides preparation software called PowerPrep, which contains two practice tests of retired questions, as well as further practice questions and review material.Looking on the brighter side GATE Exam preparations can help you in some way or the other.Maybe by attending GATE Exam ,you may have acquired the speed to solve multiple Questions which you can always use it in GRE