Urch Forums

Finding a difference between averages

Victor Amelkin

Hello,

I recently encountered a simple math problem with the solution of which I do not quite agree. Could you please suggest whether my doubts concerning this solution are grounded?

-- Problem -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Data:

* Standard car models sold: 30,000

* Basic car models sold: 15,000

* Total revenue from sales of the standard model exceeded total revenue from sales of the basic model by $41 million.

Question:

By approximately how much dollars does the average sales price of a standard model exceeded the average price of a basic model?

-- "Solution" -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, it is a problem from one GRE guide, which provides the following solution to it:

delta_n = "difference in numbers of sold models" = 15,000

delta_$ = difference in total revenues" = 41,000,000$

=>

delta_avg = "difference in average prices of standard and basic models" = delta_$ / delta_n ~ 2,700$

-- "Solution" does not work ---------------------------------------------------

However, I do not quite understand how this calculation may solve such a problem. Here is an example for which this solution does not work:

Model #1:

n1 (number of cars sold) = 10

avg1 (average price per model) = 5$

total1 (total revenue per model) = n1 * avg1 = 10 * 5$ = 50$

Model #2:

n2 (number of cars sold) = 5

avg2 (average price per model) = 2$

total2 (total revenue per model) = n2 * avg2 = 5 * 2$ = 10$

Solution:

delta_n = n1 - n2 = 5;

delta_$ = total1 - total2 = 40$

According to the solution from the GRE guide:

delta_avg = delta_$ / delta_n = 40$/5 = 8$

However, delta_avg = avg1 - avg2 = 5$ - 2$ = 3$ != 8$.

-- Finale ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The solution from the guide seems to be wrong, but maybe it is me who is missing something? =)

Thanks in advance.

--

Victor

P.S. As for me, the answer to the original problem as it is stated should be "It cannot be determined from the data given".

Look at it this way. 30,000*a(1) - 15,000*a(2) = 41,000,000, where a(1) and a(2) are the average prices of each model. Divide the equation by 30,000 to get a(1) - (1/2)*a(2) = 1366, however this is going to overstate the actual difference in average prices because you are only subtracting 1/2 of the lower average price. In the counter example you provided, the equation will be 10*a(1) - 5*a(2) = 40 which comes to a(1) - (1/2)*a(2) = 4, which overstates $3 by a little bit. However, to get an exact answer, you would need to know either a(1) or a(2).

I think this is a pretty bad question, but its one saving grace might be the fact that it say "approximately", even though the solution it poses is not even "approximately" close.

If the question is a quantitative comparison, then it may be possible to give an answer of A or B depending on the answer choices. For example if the choices were:

A: The difference in average price

B: 1300

The answer would be A. Using Kevin's nomenclature we would get a(1) - a(2) = 1366 + 1/2 x a(2). The difference must be larger than 1300. Similarly we could divide Kevin's equation by 15,000 instead of 30,000 to get a(1) - a(2) = 2733 - a(1)

Then if the answer choices were:

A: The difference in average price

B: 2800

The answer would be B.

I agree that the solution presented by the book is lacking.

Paul