Urch Forums

Need help with these 2 math problems

GekkoJr

Hey guys!

I failed my GRE with score 159 and I need 160 .... i am very sure i did the following two questions wrong and i have no idea about it ... hope you can help me

Queston 1: (simplified)

Pumps P1, P2, P3 need 5 hours for a work (i cant remeber for what work, but i think its irrelevant). Pumps P1 and P2 together need 7 hours for the same work.

How long would P3 need to to the same work?

Question 2: (i am very sure to give you all the information how it was on the test)

There is sequence, a1,a2,a3,a(n) ... a1=2 and a2=5 ... a(n) is defined as a(n) = (a(n) - 1) / (a(n) - 2) ... the question was: what is a(135)? maybe i am wrong with numerator or denominator for -1 or -2. But anyway, the solutions were 0,5 or 2 etc ... when i replace a(n) with 135 i did not get any of the solutions ... and i think this solution would be too simple ... because i did not used a1 or a2.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, i have no further information for question 2. (it was an original gre test question) i am pretty sure, that are all information ...

do you have an solution for question 1 for me? thank you for your link ... but i am not able to solve it. I think in the test it was "4 litres are pumped" ... but in my opinion it is irrelevant if we say 4 litres or 10 gallons. but lets say 4 litres, to have something for a calculation

thank you!

Sure I can help you. I believe question 1 probably meant what I have written below. I have changed what you wrote to make sure we are discussing the same problem, and to make sure there is no misunderstanding.

Pumps P1, P2, P3 together can finish a job in 5 hours.

Pumps P1 and P2 together need 7 hours to finish the job.

How long would P3 need to finish the job alone?

(1 / P1) + (1 / P2) = 1/7 See the formula I gave you the link for. P denotes time for each pump.

(1 / P1) + (1 / P2) + (1 / P3) = 1/5

Notice that we now have two equations and that we can subtract the two equations to get rid of "(1 / P1) + (1 / P2)" which will, in turn, leave us with

an easy equation to solve:

(1 / P1) + (1 / P2) = 1/7

-

(1 / P1) + (1 / P2) + (1 / P3) = 1/5

= - (1 / P3) = 1/7 - 1/5

= -(1 / P3) = - 2/35

P3 = 35/2 hours = 17.5 hours

By the way, if you need more practice, you might want to check out my quant comparison videos.

Payman

gekkojr,

I went ahead and wrote a similar sequence question along the lines of your post. This will keep me out of trouble from ETS. This is an example of a repeating sequence that has a specific pattern. I have attached the image of the problem I wrote.

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/attachments/gre-math/6614-need-help-these-2-math-problems-grequestion17.png

Here is the link to the video explanation I posted on youtube:

Cheers,

dabral

gekkojr,

looks like my post disappeared. i wrote a similar sequence problem, these types of sequences have a repeating pattern, and the key is to identify the pattern. here is the image of the problem statement.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6615[/ATTACH]

solve it and then you can watch the video on youtube for the explanation:

cheers,

dabral

Almost manually, I found that the answer is -12. I solved for the first 8 sequences and found a pattern that repeats itself every 6 numbers. Then I took 99/6=16.5

I summed up the first 6 numbers, multiplied them by 16 and added the first three numbers of the sequence. Got -12.

Edited by greinsanity

greinsanity,

your method is the best way to do this problem. i don't know if you looked at the video explanation in the link i provided, but it essentially talks about first establishing a pattern and this requires one to compute the first few terms(here 8 terms) and then to find out the number of repeating blocks to finally answer the question.

please recognize that this would be a level 5 question(hardest according to ETS) in the exam and someone who scores a 170 will likely spend about three minutes on this question. these are a general type of sequence problems with a repeating pattern.

in the exam the test writers will present this same problem with different flavors but the basic approach is the same.

dabral