Urch Forums

Minor Problem Type from Manhattan GRE. Trouble understanding. Plz help.

abhistud0554

Hi,

I was working on this problem from Manhattan GRE Word problem book. The 2nd problem in Page 121. And I can't seem to understand a certain portion of the problem.

A Salad dressing requires oil, vinegar and water in the ratio of 2:1:3. If Oliver has 1 cup of oil, 1/3 cup of vinegar and 2 cups of water, what is the maximum number of cups of dressing that he can mix?

Solution from the book : 2 cups.

Explanation from the book :

Try the limits. If Oliver used 1 cup of oil, his recipe would require 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1 1/2 cups of water. He does not have enough vinegar. If he used 1/3 cup of vinegar, he would need 2/3 cups of oil and 1 cup of water, both of which he has. He would then have 2/3 + 1/3 + 1 = 2 cups of dressing. He cannot possible make more dressing than this because he does not have any more vinegar.

I don't understand how they calculate the ratios. Meaning if Oliver decided to use 1 cup of oil, how do we determine that he needs 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1 1/2 cups of water and so forth. I know we have to use the given ratio 2:1:3 to arrive at this but I'm not able to correlate to get the solution. Please help me understand.

Thanks.

I think you already explained it, yet you are not still understanding it, I will explain in a similar way :::

oil: vinegar: water= 2:1:3

total amount of oil : total amount of vinegar : total amount of water= 2x : x : 3x (lets assume)

so total amount of mixture possible=2x+x+3x=6x

so You can see , maximum amount of vinegar is 1/3 cup, so x=1/3

Now replace x=1/3, so total amount of mixture possible=6x =6*(1/3)=2 (THATS THE ANSWER)

STILL CONFUSED?