One from PP... plz help me.....

mishu007

For column B----

seven bills can be distributed in 7C3 ways = 35

For column A --------

At leastone should get $3 means---

three cases--- one get $3 or $4 or $5

ways---- 3C1*4C2 + 4C1*3C2 + 5C1*2C2 ===> 35

case 1: one getting $3. Now remaining four dollars can be distributed to two persons

similarly for other cases also.

Answer is C.

fledging: your answer is correct but the way of calculating is completely wrong.

with 7C3 you are not answering the question of in how many ways you can distribute the money but rather how many different groups containing 3 bills you can create from 7 bills. This does not make much sense as you do not care which bill exactly the people are holding but rather you are interested in their total value.

For me the easiest way of solving this problem is to think of how you can redistribute the remaining 4 dollars among the 3 people. First I would give one more dollar to each person. Afterwards I will be left with one remaining dollar. To whoever I decide to give it, there always will be one person having at least 3. You do not even have to think further because if you already in the beginning decided to give 2, 3 or all 4 remaining dollars to just one person you would always have somebody having at least 3 bills. The answer here obviously is C.

fledging: your answer is correct but the way of calculating is completely wrong.

with 7C3 you are not answering the question of in how many ways you can distribute the money but rather how many different groups containing 3 bills you can create from 7 bills. This does not make much sense as you do not care which bill exactly the people are holding but rather you are interested in their total value.

For me the easiest way of solving this problem is to think of how you can redistribute the remaining 4 dollars among the 3 people. First I would give one more dollar to each person. Afterwards I will be left with one remaining dollar. To whoever I decide to give it, there always will be one person having at least 3. You do not even have to think further because if you already in the beginning decided to give 2, 3 or all 4 remaining dollars to just one person you would always have somebody having at least 3 bills. The answer here obviously is C.

I think this is the right procedure...what about others think? let's see....

wow!! that was a really smart way to solve this problem !!!! No calculations and Bingo answer [clap]