Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Studying for verbal section

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Studying for verbal section

Sponsored Ad:
    Has anyone found a concrete way to study for the verbal section. I feel overwhelmed with the amount of words I am unfamiliar with, but don't have the time to learn all these words or how they fit in a sentence. Any advice would be appreciated.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Studying for verbal section

The GRE Verbal is not easy to study for, simply because for every hour spent preparing there's only a marginal improvement to your vocabulary (among the thousands of possible words that you may encounter). If you're strained for time, I'd recommend focusing on the reading comprehension questions, rather than vocabulary.

Good post? Yes | No

Thank you for your response. I attempted to compile a study schedule and have a generous amount of time. I am still weary that i may not be making the best use of my time. Have you taken the test? Did you find that learning as many words as possible was a good use of time?

Good post? Yes | No

I took the GRE twice. The first time I studied using flash cards and would go through them every day. My score was ok, but not where i wanted it. 75th-ish percentile. I took the gre again after reading the book Moonwalking with Einstein. The author documents methods used by memory competition world champions. One of the methods is to make an absurd image in your head to associate with the thing you are trying to memorize. for whatever reason these absurd images(like the title moonwalking with einstein) are easier to remember. i guess its called the Von Restorff effect. Kind of like LearnWeird – Memory tricks to successfully study and recall GRE vocabulary words. Instead of rushing through a huge of pile of flashcards every day I spent some time with each word, and made up images in my head. The second time I scored in th 90th percentile. I still think I can get a higher score so I am taking it again. Personally I think it is much more effective to spend time with each word, and think about it for a few minutes, rather than blowing through a stack of 200 flashcards really fast.

Good post? Yes | No

Tips on how you can build your English Vocabulary using Vocab Assistant

What is Vocab Assistant?

It is a conversational bot (hosted in facebook messenger) which teaches you new English words based on your requirements and keeps track of your progress. It can teach new words (based on levels), help you revise old words that you have already learnt, show examples/synonyms/etc. if you ask for, help you bookmark difficult words, take your test, revise your weak words, etc.

Steps for building your vocabulary

* Learn few new words a day ('Teach me new words' feature)
    * Frequently take test of recently learned words ('Take my test' -> 'Recently learned' feature)
    * Keep on bookmarking difficult words that you find so as to have them handy ('Bookmark' and 'See bookmarked words' feature)
    * After you have learned good number of words, go for taking test of all the words that you had learned so far ('Take my test' -> 'Whatever I learned' feature)
    * Revise your weak words i.e. the words that you answered incorrectly before ('Revise my weak words' feature)
    * If are finding difficulty in remembering some word, then look for more examples of that word ('Example' and 'One more' feature)
    * In case your vocabulary is already decent, then you can directly go for taking a test of general vocabulary ('Take my test' -> 'General Vocab')

Advantages

* You can keep track of your weak words and revise them whenever required.
    * You can bookmark words that you think you might forget.
    * You can get on-demand synonyms/antonyms/4-5 examples, etc. for the words which can help you remember the words easily.
    * It remembers everything about your progress like your weak words, your already learned words, bookmarked words, words you have answered correctly in various tests, etc, so provides a good personalized learning experience.

I hope this helps!
    Vocab Assistant

Good post? Yes | No

Studying for GRE verbal isn’t any easy task. The words might look pretty daunting. However, you can study thousands of words in a matter of days. Below is a link of a free Vocabulary Builder App to improve your vocabulary. There are multiple choices in many categories such as synonyms, antonyms, word definition, sentence completion, text equivalence, and reading comprehension. Download link: Word Builder: improve your vocabulary - Android Apps on Google Play

Good post? Yes | No

You're not alone in this. A lot of people find verbal section pretty intimidating. You can push yourself and study to achieve a great score. I'm attaching a blog post link in this message. Hoping it helps you out
    5 Hacks to Ace Verbal For Any Test! - Studypal.co

Thread Information