Urch Forums

Studying for verbal section

Gremeplease

The GRE Verbal is not easy to study for, simply because for every hour spent preparing there's only a marginal improvement to your vocabulary (among the thousands of possible words that you may encounter). If you're strained for time, I'd recommend focusing on the reading comprehension questions, rather than vocabulary.

Thank you for your response. I attempted to compile a study schedule and have a generous amount of time. I am still weary that i may not be making the best use of my time. Have you taken the test? Did you find that learning as many words as possible was a good use of time?

• 1 year later...
I took the GRE twice. The first time I studied using flash cards and would go through them every day. My score was ok, but not where i wanted it. 75th-ish percentile. I took the gre again after reading the book Moonwalking with Einstein. The author documents methods used by memory competition world champions. One of the methods is to make an absurd image in your head to associate with the thing you are trying to memorize. for whatever reason these absurd images(like the title moonwalking with einstein) are easier to remember. i guess its called the Von Restorff effect. Kind of like memory tricks to successfully study and recall GRE vocabulary words. Instead of rushing through a huge of pile of flashcards every day I spent some time with each word, and made up images in my head. The second time I scored in th 90th percentile. I still think I can get a higher score so I am taking it again. Personally I think it is much more effective to spend time with each word, and think about it for a few minutes, rather than blowing through a stack of 200 flashcards really fast.

• 1 year later...
Studying for GRE verbal isn’t any easy task. The words might look pretty daunting. However, you can study thousands of words in a matter of days. Below is a link of a free Vocabulary Builder App to improve your vocabulary. There are multiple choices in many categories such as synonyms, antonyms, word definition, sentence completion, text equivalence, and reading comprehension. Download link: Word Builder: improve your vocabulary - Android Apps on Google Play

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Many competitive exams come with difficult Reading Comprehension sections or sentence completion type questions that require to read and understand complex sentences quickly.

Initially it's important to be able to catch all the nuances of a sentence and be able to complete its logic in the short amount of time given to solve each question in GRE Verbal.