Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get a high GRE quant score - For average math or non-math test takers

Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    hey guys whassup!!!

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

I guess I am dumb....

The fact of the matter is I feel dumb. I am getting scores of 350Q, 330V on the practice exams. Nothing seems to work. It is a bit disheartening..this exam. Then I come to this board and see such exemplary scores. I am a bit envious, but most of all I am embarrassed and I feel dumb.

Good post? Yes | No
    wow zorrilo
    u have made my day i am very scared of math myself inspite of being an engineering
    graudate but after reading what u have written i feel i can do it
    cheers

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by supernkown
    The fact of the matter is I feel dumb. I am getting scores of 350Q, 330V on the practice exams. Nothing seems to work. It is a bit disheartening..this exam. Then I come to this board and see such exemplary scores. I am a bit envious, but most of all I am embarrassed and I feel dumb.
    Don't feel bad, believe it or not that's normal to underperform when you first test the waters and see how the exam is. My first diagnostic test was about 450/450. I was aghast considering I was hoping to get a minimum of 1000 without any studying and having been out of school for 7 years.

This site has a lot of engineering people who naturally have an advantage in math. But I've also noticed that because there are so many folks that aren't native English speakers they score much less comparatively in verbal. They compensate by studying for months...which is really all you need: study time.

Take a look at the GRE Powerprep software. They have some data charts of what most test takers score based on their diciplines and education level. You'll find that 1050 is pretty much the mean average for up to graduate level and about 1150 for PhD's! So these people here scoring 1400+ are far above the norm and not what you should judge yourself by.

Btw, my girlfriend is a computer engineer and taken all the high level maths, calc 3, etc., but she doesnt remember much from geometry which is needed on the GRE. I haven't used geometry since 9th grade prior to review! So even math gurus like my girl can have problems without preparing for the test.

You just have to study. Even a couple weeks worth before a test can boost your score by a good 200 to 300 pts when you are batting 1000.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Thanx Alot

thanx alot mate .for your help.people like you r few and we really need your help.thanx a lot .I WISH YOU A VERY BEST OF LUCK FOR YOUR FUTURE.

Good post? Yes | No
    i will say just excellent even though am a biology student i am some what good in maths but am not gettin in maths 700 in normal exams like pp, and other things, where am making mistakes those silly mistakes- miscalculation, and misunderstandings, hurry these thigs.
    after reading the post i got how to overcome those mistakes especially " silly mistakes"

thank u

sreenivas

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    plz dont worry about ur verbal score so much... u can improve it in fifteen days !thats what i did,... get done with ur wordlist fast and after that it wont be so difficult ! my exam s tomor and my quants score keeps fluctuating very badly !!!but the final exam s going to be very different ( i hope) a friend of mine never crossed 1100 in her practice tests and she got 1390.. so lets just cross our fingers and hope for the best

Good post? Yes | No
    can someone guide me to some book or practice test where i can hone my quant skills ?? actually i find Baron's maths very simple and i fear that the actual Test Maths would be a bit tougher .....so plz guide me...

Good post? Yes | No

Smile

hi all,
    I just enrolled in this forum and the first message I got to read was Zorrillo's which is quite enlightening, I must say. well, i am planning to take GRE sometime in the lst week of august, started preparing for it only in JUne. I am from non Math background, although I am quite comfortable with maths like Nishi. But Zorrilo's writing made me realize the need for "thorough brushing" of all the old theorums and tactics. I am still nt done with the vocabulary(and I am not a native english-speaker) ...but thankfully I hv got access to various test prep material thru this forum, internet and yes, good old library!!! so I am aspiring to study hard for the nest 3weeks. ...at this juncture zorrillo's post was a true help...so thank U very much for that!!!
    good luck to all of U

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    why dont u try thr big book

shalabh_jain vbmenu_register("postmenu_188362", true); ? i didnt get the time to do it b4 my gre but i heard that its quite good! my paper was full of geometry and comparisons! a couple of questions on permutation and combination involving probability.. do kaplan if u can get it

oh yeah, and barrons cd is of a pretty good std ... for my test, i got things that i never expected to find... my quant was unbelievably lengthy... verbal was of a higher std than princeton or powerprep and barrons did not help for the actual verbal test

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information