Urch Forums

Which one is the smart move : GRE or Revised GRE ??

Asif014

Hi guys,

I am sure you are aware by now that ETS is launching the revised GRE from august 1, 2011.

Now I'm currently in my third year of engineering & probably will graduate in early 2012.If I take the the current GRE before august 2011 I can prepare from now with all the available resources given it is valid for 5 years..

Or should I wait until my graduation and take the new one which I'm kind of hesitant about because it's new and it will take some time for people getting used to it.

What do you guys think?? Please share.Cheers

Well, if I were you, I would have taken the newer version, as it depends more on critical reasoning, analyzing and synthesizing written materials and understanding critical relationship between different parts of a text. It is more challenging (more like GMAT verbal). As there is no more Antonyms and Analogy questions in this new version, dependence on vocabulary (without context) is not going to work. Reading (and understanding) skill is something ETS is emphasizing on as they are trying to establish GRE as an admission exam for business schools.

• 9 months later...

Hi

This is my first post ever....so plz be kind to me...:) I have been planning to take GRE for really long now, and now I'm stuck in the dilemma of which is the better choice?? Old or revised?? I went through the ets study material yesterday....got a faint idea of the pattern, but I don't think the study material is sufficient. If I plan on taking the old GRE, I have about 2 months 20 days before I take the test...is it sufficient?? I have seen my husband prepare for GMAT critical reasoning and RCs, he says you have to develop a knack for solving them(now that the new GRE has more RCs and CRs) ....I'm so confused....plz help me.

P.S. I'm 25 years old, busy mother of an 18 months old, staying at home full time :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

can anybody suggest books to prepare for revised GRE?

PLEASE HELP.

I am planning on getting "the official guide to gre revised general test" from McGraw-Hill I hear it's the best for the revised test.

Google it and you will see it right away.

Hi

This is my first post ever....so plz be kind to me...:) I have been planning to take GRE for really long now, and now I'm stuck in the dilemma of which is the better choice?? Old or revised?? I went through the ets study material yesterday....got a faint idea of the pattern, but I don't think the study material is sufficient. If I plan on taking the old GRE, I have about 2 months 20 days before I take the test...is it sufficient?? I have seen my husband prepare for GMAT critical reasoning and RCs, he says you have to develop a knack for solving them(now that the new GRE has more RCs and CRs) ....I'm so confused....plz help me.

P.S. I'm 25 years old, busy mother of an 18 months old, staying at home full time :)

To answer you and the OP, I am no expert and although I read on the internet it's better to apply for the current gre test because of all the material available and it last 5 years. 2 month can be enough but you need to study really hard.

That been said, I tend to disagree ...I think the revised test would be better because universities would start looking at the revised gre results with more weight than the current test. They of course won't admit it but I think it would be only normal especially that ETS say the new one is more accurate in determining your abilities.

So although the test last for 5 years but after 1 year universities would prefer the revised but this doesn't mean everyone with an old test won't get admission no that's not true.

is the new GRE somehow less vocabulary intensive? like is going through 5000 barrons words a bit of a time-waster for the new GRE?

Yes that's true, but there would be more reading comprehension instead.

The new one will be better. The math might be a bit harder, but you will have a calculator. The verbal part seems like it will be much easier, though. You still need to build your vocabulary, but it will be more important to build your skills of verbal reasoning (i.e., which word sounds right in this sentence? or process of elimination). But I disagree that the word lists will be a waste of time. If you have a poor vocabulary, you will not do well on verbal no matter how good your verbal reasoning is; everything will look foreign.

Also, I'm sure that as soon as the new test starts, all the current books and websites on the GRE will be revised and pick up on the new questions. Taking it in the first few months will be risky, but after that it won't be any worse than the old one. I don't think it makes any sense at all to take the test a year early just out of fear for the revisions. They will not be that bad!