Urch Forums

Please rate my Argument essay

mk2009

The following was posted on an Internet real estate discussion site.

"Of the two leading real estate firms in our town — Adams Realty and Fitch Realty — Adams is clearly superior. Adams has 40 real estate agents. In contrast, Fitch has 25, many of whom work only part-time. Moreover, Adams' revenue last year was twice as high as that of Fitch, and included home sales that averaged $168,000, compared to Fitch's $144,000. Homes listed with Adams sell faster as well: Ten years ago, I listed my home with Fitch and it took more than four months to sell; last year, when I sold another home, I listed it with Adams, and it took only one month. Thus, if you want to sell your home quickly and at a good price, you should use Adams."

The post in the Internet real estate site claiming that Adams Realty is superior to Fitch Realty certainly appears convincing at first glance. But the initial belief soon gives way to doubts as it becomes evident that the claim is based on flawed reasoning.

The author writes that there are 40 employees in Adams Realty whereas Fitch only has 25 agents,. Number of employees is not the sole marker of success of a firm ,especially a Real estate agency. He also points out the fact that that many of Fitch agents are part time employees, as a flaw Many a time, the pay of part- time employees are commission based because of which it is only logical to assume that they would be more driven to close a deal than the full time employees. Hence part time employees may be more beneficial to the agency contrary to what the author suggests.

The author has used the statistics of only the past year to show that Adams Realty revenue was more that that of Fitch Realty . His contention would be more persuasive if he provided statistics showing that Adam Realty has constantly outshone Fitch Realty in the past years.

He quotes a personal example saying that his house sold faster when he listed it in Adams .Lot of factors influence a house sale like location of the property, existing mortgage rates, general state of the economy etc. We do not know if he has taken these market conditions into consideration before coming to his judgment.

To sum up we can say that even though the author’s claim of Adam Realty being a superior real estate firm might be true, he fails to convince his readers because his arguments and statistics are not supportive enough.