Urch Forums

Magoosh Reviews

lupus521

I have been searching for reviews on Magoosh's GRE subscription. I see they have a reduced rate through 12/15 (which is tempting), but I am having a hard time finding any reviews other than those that are related (or seemingly related) to the Magoosh Web site, blog, or their employees.

So, does anyone (who has used the service) have any input to how effective (or not) they found Magoosh in their prep for the GRE?

Thanks.

@lupus521 - I'm a co-founder of Magoosh. While I can assure you that all of the reviews/quotes on our website are from real customers, I completely understand any doubt or skepticism you may have. We receive emails from customers on a regular basis, but I struggle with the best way to share these.

On our blog, we've created a post for our customers to write comments about Magoosh in their own words (Magoosh GRE Reviews | Magoosh GRE Blog).

Keith, a recent test-taker and user of Magoosh, recently wrote a guest post about his experience on our blog here (Student New GRE Experience: Keith | Magoosh GRE Blog) though he only used the Math section.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Magoosh. We do also have a 7 day money back refund policy in case you do sign up and decide our program isn't a good fit for you.

Thanks,

Bhavin

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I took the GRE today after using Magoosh to study and found it very helpful and reasonably priced. My math was old and hadn't been my strong point so their lectures were perfect. I'm happy to report my score was a bit higher than required for admission. Something I really appreciated about Magoosh is that on their blog they review/recommend other websites, books and study aids in addition to their program. I'm not big on paying for expensive review classes so this fit my needs perfectly. I have already recommended their service to a friend.

Best wishes to everyone taking the GRE.

Jill

P.S. I found them on google and don’t have any relationship with their company.

• 4 weeks later...

I used the Magoosh GRE package and got itfor a very reasonable price as well. I am a working professional in a smallcompany and have a very tight schedule. I booked the data long before and didn’tprepare well in between. I started two weeks before the test and after a bit ofresearching on the internet I decided to go through the high frequency wordsand use Magoosh package. My quants is strong and I bought only there verbalpackage.

I must say that without Magoosh I would have performed terribly in the test.Magoosh gave me the tricks to tackle questions without knowing the exactmeaning of all the words in the fill in the blanks questions, it provided mewith the logical thinking to tackle verbal section. Magoosh provided me withreal practice problems from all difficulty levels. The practice tool providedme a detailed view of my performance.

Overall I was more than prepared and ready to face the test in two weeks. Iscore 152/166 in verbal/quants in the R-GRE and trust me it was the best out ofme given the time I invested in preparation. I would strongly recommend Magooshmaterial for R-GRE preparation.

I have just taken the GRE and I used the magoosh software. Here is the review that I posted on their site. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it. With their help my verbal score was nearly perfect (162/170).

This product allowed for timed practice which I found essential. I was very slow with the previous GRE and ran out of time on everything. When I took the test in february I found that practice paid off with me having nearly 10minutes to spare at the end of each verbal section. For the math, I still wasnt computing the answers fast enough (i'm sure this would have been rectified, if I had dedicated more time to increasing my math speed), but I gained a sense of timing from the software and was able realize when i needed to move on from a question. I finished quickly and went back to answer more time consuming questions.

The short lessons were immensely helpful and the swift feedback that I received when I placed a question was unbelievable. It was really nice to be able to get a quick and simple refresher on content long forgotten or muddled by time.

This software, most importantly, gave me confidence. I went through each section very calmly. Even if I wasn't doing particularly well. My reasoning was - it was highly unlikely that I had completed hundreds of timed practice questions and watched all those lessons with no improvement as the result. By sheer repetition and exposure, my knowledge base had to have increased. (and it did. undoubtedly) If I had more than 2 thumbs, i'd put them all up for this site. It's worth the price many times over. The only critique that I have would be for the inclusion of a new section that was tailored to people who are striving for a perfect score in a particular section.

Also so you know what kind of person is writing this, I am a college graduate who needed the GRE for graduate school. Good luck in your studies!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought Magoosh after I had the free trial. Seriously, Magoosh is by far the most efficient and user-friendly test prep I've ever used. The questions in Magoosh are very similar to the real exam, and the video explanations are perfectly clear. Oh, and you can also read their blogs from time to time, I find them very useful. Highly recommended.

P.S. Their customer services are extremely good, too.

Edited by ChiFeng
supplement

Hi,

I have been looking at test prep programs and came across Magoosh. I was previously considering the Kaplan Math Advantage, but have read some advice suggesting that it might not be the best fit for my particular situation. I got a 770Q and 690V, but I need at least a 790Q, shooting for 800Q, to be competitive for the programs I am interested in. Someone suggested that classes such as Kaplan's are not the best for people aiming to score in the top 5%. Thus, a self-directed program like Magoosh's might be best.

I gave the GRE this week and score 326 ( 169Q,157V)

According to me, Magoosh definitely is the best GRE preparation product available in the world.

Magoosh has that X-factor that no other product has. Using Magoosh's customized practice sessions, you can definitely identify and improve on your weak areas. And finally, that is what the GRE is about.

Why Magoosh is the BEST ?

1. Video lessons - very engaging and provide right content in a short time. Perfect to store key concepts of a topic in your memory for ever. Good for revision too.

2. Best Practice Questions - Adaptive practice is great !

Quant - questions have the right difficulty level and time required. Other products simply put very length problems as "hard problems". This is unrealistic and not at all helpful.

Magoosh strikes the right balance as compared to the actual GRE

Verbal - Again, the right difficulty level in RC , TC ,SE. GRE poses more challenging questions based on complex sentence constructions, and not obscure uncommon words.

This is where Magoosh wins against other products

Explanations - Video explanations are great. Go through it once, and you will not forget it.

3. Strategies - by Magoosh for all kinds of problems provided are really cool.

While giving the GRE , I could almost hear Chris (Magoosh) walk me through the problems using his strategies for verbal. These strategies really help not to panic during the test and just to attack the problem with the right approach.

4. Blog - Magoosh blog is also really helpful. Vocabulary and Mnemonics are entertaining and make GRE preparation enjoyable. Really good break to read all the blogs in between rigorous practice sessions.

5. Magoosh team - You will not get such personal and detailed responses to your doubts anywhere else! And response time is great too.

The team is really great and actually cares about your score as much as they would care about their own. Simply the best.

In all , I really felt Magoosh made the difference increasing my score by 5-10 points.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Cheers

Suyash

• 1 month later...
I just wanted to update this thread with my experience. I posted a question asking about people's experience with Magoosh in preparing for the GRE. I received good feedback and the people at Magoosh answered my questions promptly, so I decided to try it out instead of Kaplan, since the price was a lot more reasonable. I am very glad I did. Their video explanations and the ability to customize your practice is awesome. I improved my score by the equivalent of 9 points in the quantitative section and 4 points in the verbal (I took the old GRE the first time around). If you are going to take the GRE soon, highly, highly recommend​ Magoosh.

• 3 months later...

I want to second all the positive comments about Magoosh.

If you're in the market for a prep service for the GRE you're probably interested in these things: the quality of the practice questions, explanations, and strategies; the responsiveness of the customer service; and the price. I can say without hyperbole that Magoosh is impressive in each of these categories.

The questions on the real GRE were either of comparable difficulty or easier than Magoosh's practice problems. If Magoosh's questions were a bit harder it wasn't because they involved concepts you didn't need to know for the test; rather, their challenging questions force you to truly internalize the material in a way that is not emphasized on many other test prep sites. They don't mislead you by telling you there are a few tricks that will make the whole test a walk in the park (like some other prep services do). They will give you the tools that enable you to solve any type of problem encountered on the actual exam. And they also offer plenty of advice on the right study trajectory to suit your unique strengths and weaknesses. So when you actually take the test it won't stress you out when a certain "trick" doesn't help you solve a problem. You'll have plenty of other ideas for how to attack the problem.

Also, if you're already at a high math and/or verbal level, you won't find that their content is only geared towards complete novices. I think the way the site is structured makes the content equally effective for students starting at any level. In other words, even if you know how to solve differential equations (don't worry, none of these on the GRE) you can still find an abundance of useful information on Magoosh that will help you get used to the unique way the GRE structures their questions.

Finally, they're much more affordable than any of the other services I've come across. It's a lower price, but higher quality.

• 9 months later...

in the math section the more you practice the more you get higher score

there is no levels of difficulty in math section, there is just you know this concept or you do not know it

with the practice you will know how to solve it quicley

magoosh, kaplan, mgre ... etc will guide you in knowing the concet and how to solve it quickley

all of them are great.

I tried magoosh, was fantastic, I learnt a lot with it

when I went to MGRE I found a new questions with a new Ideas

the same happen when I went to Kaplan

so simply, the more you practice math problems the more you will get higher score.

• 2 weeks later...

I was really having a hard time studying for the GRE using various books. Mainly, I would review concepts (math was my main study concern), work through practice problems, and if I didn't get the question correct I had a hard time figuring out where I went wrong. I signed up for the free trial of Magoosh, and I think I bought the full membership after just a couple of days. The video modules were organized in a very useful way, and I loved the videos that went along with the practice problems. After much review, my practice scores jumped by about five points a piece - and I performed even better on test day. The layout of the practice problems and the onscreen calculator helped get me in the groove for the real thing so when I went into my test, I felt prepared!

I would highly recommend using this program. It was definitely worth the money (and if you get in there when they have a sale going on, it's really peanuts in comparison to the cost of review classes).

• 2 months later...
Magoosh has extensive video lessons for all the three areas - Quant, Verbal and AWA. They are to the point and detailed. By the same time the practice questions are abundant for Quant and Verbal. The practice questions are very similar to actual testing conditions. The recent additions of Flashcards just makes Vocabulary learning more enjoyable.With my experience, I shall recommend Magoosh to all the aspirants as there is no match to its content and quality at this competitive pricing anywhere I have come across.

• 1 month later...

Magoosh contains the best material for practice. I used it primarily for practice tests, and the video explanations for each and every question was an added bonus. It really helped my verbal scores. Compared to the Manhattan and Princeton material, magoosh was more helpful. So I highly recommend Magoosh!

By the way, my score is 331

• 1 month later...
Magoosh was an outstanding resource to use. I highly recommend it over the other GRE prep classes/materials. Their staff are friendly and their support system is quick and convenient. Their lessons are understandable and effective. No wonder its quite popular!

• 4 weeks later...

Magoosh Math: The volume of practice problems was great and the visuals/explanation videos were also great. I echo previous positive comments. The most valuable thing from Magoosh on the verbal was the few tips they had for websites that had lots of good "GRE words". Specifically, Arts & Letters daily and Word Dynamo (GRE Study Guides | Word Dynamo). These were great tools to help re-build the latin/greek root knowledge that had gathered cobwebs over the years. The Magoosh practice verbal exams were great, although I was not a big fan of the guy that did the voiceover - he sounded like he was doing his best Fred Armisen impression from "The Californians".

Relevant information: I signed up for Magoosh one month before I took the GRE. Magoosh, the GRE manual explaining the writing section, and the above-mentioned resources were all I used in my preparation. I took it one time and got a 332 and 5.5 (I did not take the GRE prior to signing up for Magoosh).

• 1 year later...

Hello Guys,

May you help me?

I participated in GRE before and my score was 141 on verbal and 161 on quantitative section.

I highly need to obtain excellent score specifically on verbal (over 155) and now I don't know how I can approach the purpose. I am going to do an exam 3 months later and I've started to try again.

In your opinion is it possible?

Please help me.

Thanks.