Urch Forums

GRE preparation: is MAGOOSH BEST??

Nill

Hi everyone!!!

I am new to this forum..... I have recently started GRE preparation.. Most of my friends say magoosh.com is best for GRE. Should i buy a magoosh GRE plan? Is there any other websites which is better than magoosh?

Looking forward to your reply, Thanks in advanced.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Agree with Nill, a lot of Magoosh's problem sets are too hard and do not come up on the actual GRE test. For vocabulary I like 500 Essential Words from Manhattan Prep and for text completion and sentence equivalence, I like GRE Prep Powered by Predictive Algorithms. For math I don't have any feedback because I am quite strong in math already, so I only study for the verbal part.

• 4 months later...
Hi everyone!!!

I am new to this forum..... I have recently started GRE preparation.. Most of my friends say magoosh.com is best for GRE. Should i buy a magoosh GRE plan? Is there any other websites which is better than magoosh?

Looking forward to your reply, Thanks in advanced.

Byju's is very good for preparing GRE.

Byju's Learning App for IAS, CAT, GMAT, GRE, IIT-JEE & Class 6-12

You can try Galvanize Test Prep GRE Online Program. Excellent coaching with state of the art technology support. They even have a mobile app for GRE preparation with lots of practice questions and explanations. Click here to download their Mobile App.

They also have lots of free resources like Diagnostic Test, Mock Test, Demo Video Lessons and Slides. Addition to that every month they conduct free webinars not only on GRE but also they invite Top Universities to conduct sessions.

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty late in replying.

If you haven't given your GRE yet,Magoosh Verbal is amazing ! I am weak in Quants,so everything seems hard. :'D

But verbal is very complex,it was similar to what I found in the ETS POWERPREP II exam . You can try their one week free trial if you just want to check it out.

• 4 months later...

You might like to try Preped ( PrepEd | GRE Exam Preparation | ).

Preped is a marketplace for all practice test in GRE exams. We have gathered the world's leading gre experts and tutor to implement their tests in our program so that GRE/SAT/TOEFL/ACT takers won't get most of their time searching for practice test. They will only need to search in one place - Preped. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Magoosh has been around for quite some time now, they have high quality test (I have tried some free sources they provide) and would recommend it. :)

However, you should try free practice tests first before investing. There are a lot of test prep companies who provide free tests, try Preped for instance. They have a LOT of free practice tests coming from different GRE Gurus (Vince Kotchian and Rich Carriero - not sure of the correct spelling though) or test prep company (Nove Press and Greenlight)

Hope my insights help!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think it's more important to focus on how you're studying, more so than what materials you're using. You should identify what GRE skills give you the most difficulty, then practice on those.

It's really easy to fall into a trap of just mindlessly going from question to question, crossing your fingers and just hoping that a lot of study time and effort will instantly transfer into a massive score increase. You'll have better luck if you make an excel spreadsheet where you identify the skills where you're getting questions wrong, and then focus on your weakest skills first. If you target practice and improve your performance skill by skill, before you know it you’ll be seeing a clear increase in your GRE score and soon enough, you’ll be hitting and exceeding your target GRE score.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My GRE experience:

Score: 326(V-156, Q-170) AWA 3.5

Mock test scores range:

Manhattan 320-326

Kaplan 312-325

Powerprep 1: 322(Q-167, V-155)

Powerprep 2: 322(Q-169, V-153)

Prepared for around 4 months with intense preparation for the past one month.

Resources:

ETS Official Guide(The best prep book out there)

Manhattan RC, TC & SE, 5 lb

Magoosh(This was particularly helpful. More on that later.)

I started with the Nova 400 word list on www.memrise.com Quite a few of these words appeared on the test. Also, I went through the Manhattan 1000, but they were not as frequent as Nova's 400.

For Verbal, I went through the strategies mentioned in Manhattan TC & SE and RC book. They were useful. Manhattan contains a few obscure words here and there. But what worked for me was Magoosh video lessons and their explanations to practice problems. I found a huge similarity in the type of questions asked in real GRE Verbal and Magoosh questions, especially RCs. Also, reading vocab in context is necessary and if you read a lot of novels or are a heavy Quora user, that would help. If you plan to give your GRE next year, my suggestion would be to start reading from a screen instead of books. Buy e-books instead of conventional ones.

For Quant, I didn't prepare a lot. I just went through a few topics which were unfamiliar such as SD. If you want to practice, 5 lb book is the best. It contains questions of various difficulty levels.

For essays, I went through the tips mentioned in Manhattan guide and wrote 2-3 essays and got it graded. You can get your essays graded on www.testbig.com but I doubt their effectiveness. Another useful trick of getting your essays graded is registering for Princeton tests. Even if you don't take the tests, just write the essays and get them graded, the tips given would certainly help.

One major advice, stay calm on the final day, reach an hour early and you'll end up scoring well. My GRE score was my best test score and that's what matters.

So, yes Magoosh was particularly helpful for Verbal but when complemented with practice from other sources as well.

There's a way to get Magoosh GRE 6 month plan for 89$ instead of regular 149$ which I've explained here: How to get Magoosh GRE 6 month plan for 89$ instead of 149$…

Any questions are welcome...