Urch Forums

To Erin and Awhig

manwiththemission2005

Hello

I m preparing for verbal by using oxford dictionary. I find "slang meanings of the word, colloquial meanings of the word, and some botanical terms(like shrub in N.America,etc.)" .. I would like to know whether these are asked in real GRE section. This would make my mind clear of the confusion that I have when going through the dictionary.

Please do reply....

Thanks

Hi,

I would suggest that you prepare with a Oxford Thesaurus instead of a dictionary. Firstly, the sort of words( colloquial words, botanical/technical words) that you have mentioned are never asked.You can blindly skip them, unless you may want to improve your GK. Apart from that, if u use a dictionary you may end learning even unwarranted( non technical and pure English) words like 'floccinaucinihilipilification'. Secondly, the dictionary gives you only the definitions which are totally unwarranted.The Thesaurus would be giving you multiple meanings for a same word.For example, the words-'cajole', 'coax' and 'wheedle' mean the same. The dictionary gives seperate definitions for each, and does not use one word while explaining the meaning of another!! Given the burden, it is likely that you may fail to draw a similarity between so many hundreds of such words!!

Whatever it is, you should be sure to have the adequate time to go through an entire dictionary or thesaurus.It took me a great deal of time, but it is really worth it. I give my suggestions only out of experience.Hence, I may not be correct entirely. Erin and Ahwig, to whom you requested, may give you even more better ideas.

All the best.

Green,

Well I m well off studying from a dictionary rather than a thesaurus since by studying each and every meaning of separate words,I tend to remember it better. All the more, I have about 4 months to prepare for GRE. So, I don't think it is goin to be a time constraint for me to get prepared. Thanks for clearing my doubt in colloquial,etc. parts. Now, I can pretty well finish off the dictionary and I m quite confident. Thanks for the quick reply too. I have gained confidence now and I sure will ace it. Your idea is good and I would make use of the thesaurus as my reference book.

Thanks Green