Sponsored Ad:

Thread: gpa of 3.2 - really good or not?

Good post? Yes | No

gpa of 3.2 - really good or not?

Sponsored Ad:
    Is 3.2/4.0 a really GOOD GPA?

please reply

Good post? Yes | No
    3.0/4.0 is the minimum required GPA for most grad programs. A 3.2, based on this fact, is good enough. However, if you are applying to a competive grad schools (Ivy Leagues or "cousins" of Ivy Leagues), I don't think a 3.2 would cut it. I think it's a bit low. A great GRE score would help soften the blow a bit though, plus any experience in your field and personal acheivements.

Going on GPA alone though, a 3.5 or is REALLY GOOD in my opinion. It is of competitive value.

It depends on where you are applying. I know someone who had a 3.3 when she graduated, and an 1100 on her GRE. This might be considered "low" to some people. However, she applied to the school of her choice and got in. It's not a highly competitive school, but that's where she wanted to go. Now, she's satisfied.

So moral of the story: 3.2 is okay if you're not looking for high competition. I'd say don't set your expectations too high, but don't sell yourself short either.

Good post? Yes | No
    If you did well in classes that you plan on majoring in graduate school, then your GPA is OK.

Just as infinityzero said "Don't set your expectations to high, but to continue "Don't set your expectations to low". If you went to an excellent undergrad college then maybe it can make up your lowish GPA.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    What is your undergrad major and what do you plan to do for grad school?

A 3.2 is not in the competitive range. A 3.5 is considered in the competitive range as far as GPAs go overall.

If you went to an excellent undergrad college then maybe it can make up your lowish GPA.
    Going to an excellent undergraduate program won't makeup for a low GPA in the sense that you can compete with 3.5s, but it might give you some leverage over others with similar GPA's who went to less prestigious undergrad programs.

Good post? Yes | No
    A 3.2 is so-so, but admission isn't based soley on GPA. If you can earn a high GRE score, get good letters of recommendation, write a good statement of interest, and demonstrate your experience in the field you are applying to, you still have a chance to get in to a lot of good graduate programs nationwide.

Good post? Yes | No
    Well I have got a undergraduate percentage of 80 in Electronics and communication.... Actually, I dunno how to calculate the GPA.. I just thought that (80/100)*4 would give 3.2 and thats the GPA... Is it correct? Or should i evaluate differently . Please let me know.. By the way, I would like to join an electrical and electronics course in pursuing my M.S degree cos its pretty well related to my undergraduation course.

Thank you

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi manwiththemission2005!
    I'm pretty much confused about that GPA calculation too. As far as I have heard they might evaluate each candidate seperately, depending from which country they are from. BTW how did you calculate your 80% ? I have seen this (percent) way of writing average scores in other places (in this forum) too, so I'm forced to ask - is there countries where grades are awarded this way? Or is that just arithmetic mean divided by max grade?
    Anyway, I feel that simple convertion to GPA is a bit unjust if you have different grading system. In my country we have 0 to 10 scale, and it's obvious that getting 10 usually is much harder than getting an A.

Good post? Yes | No
    Well I'm from india and the GPA system is still kinda not clear to many of them.

80/100 = 0.8 .. That should be multiplied by 4... to get the GPA.. thats the method with which i calculated.. but this is an unjust method and I think that in the GPA section, we could write the percentage got rather than the GPA itself. Even a person securing an aggregate of 90% which is quite rare in India will get a GPA of only 3.5 which is totally unjust. So, any other solutions to get a sound and just GPA? Please let me know, friends.

pryanik

total marks obtained in all the subjects/max marks for all the subjects
    That's how i got my 80%

Good post? Yes | No
    Maybe U.S. grad schools know about the Indian grade "deflation", so a 3.2 won't be as bad as getting a 3.2 in America.

Well I'm from india and the GPA system is still kinda not clear to many of them.

80/100 = 0.8 .. That should be multiplied by 4... to get the GPA.. thats the method with which i calculated.. but this is an unjust method and I think that in the GPA section, we could write the percentage got rather than the GPA itself. Even a person securing an aggregate of 90% which is quite rare in India will get a GPA of only 3.5 which is totally unjust. So, any other solutions to get a sound and just GPA? Please let me know, friends.
    I don't think that is correct, this site should give you a better understanding of helping you figure out your GPA:
    http://www.yu.edu/stern/calculate_yo...A%20Calculator
    and if I understand you correctly, an 80 average is only equivalent to a 2.667 on the 4.0 scale.

Good post? Yes | No
    Here, this explanation will probably clear things up...

India grade to GPA

Thread Information