Urch Forums

Quantitative section: 30 q in 30 mins or 28 q in 45 mins.?

Ibn Abbas

Every single website and book out there tells me there are 28 questions in the Quanti section to be done in 45 mins and there is only 1 quanti section (counting out the experimental section..that is).

But hey, the official GRE Bulletin_supplement04-05 tells me that there are 2 quanti sections each with 30 questions to be done in 30 mins.

Can somebody please help? :mad:

Actually, I downloaded the GRE Bulletin for PBT and I didn't read the "Important Notice" on the cover page telling me that it pertains to PBT only :blush:

But anyway, given that it is only 1 section of 28 questions in 30 mins. for CBT, isn't it kinda unfair for the PBT people? :hmm: Or are the math questions in PBT much easier?

Actually, I downloaded the GRE Bulletin for PBT and I didn't read the "Important Notice" on the cover page telling me that it pertains to PBT only :blush:

But anyway, given that it is only 1 section of 28 questions in 30 mins. for CBT, isn't it kinda unfair for the PBT people? :hmm: Or are the math questions in PBT much easier?

yes, that's right. the maths in PBT are much easier than their counterpart in CBT! I used to finish the PBT in 28-30 minutes and the CBT in 42-45 minutes, and to get similar scores in both formats, thus I think it's fair for everyone :)

The PBT has a fixed distribution of easy and hard questions while the CBT focuses in on your skill level rather quickly. So if you're good at GRE math, the CBT's gonna start dishing out harder questions...and if you keep getting them right, the questions will keep getting harder! PBT, on the other hand....starts easy, moves to intermed, ends with high difficulty....

Ah right. Thanks :)

But the problem is that preparation material for CBT quant is far lesser than that of PBT. The Big Book itself has PBT-based questions. Any idea where I can get CBT-based questions from sources other than PowerPrep?

One more thing...any idea which book best covers the statistical material such as mean, mode, ND etc?