Urch Forums

Plz Help Me

chintz

hi guys,

i am seriously scared today, I was getting good scored in math section in the paper pencil based GRE tests like barrons, & bigbook. I was getting 750+ in Q section. But 2day morning first time I was having computer based GRE test and I scored just 550 in Q. I just astonished and scared what will happen in the real GRE? What should i do ? i have GRE test on 22nd july .please guys advice me.

Keep trying no matter how hard it seems- it'll get easier

But 2day morning first time I was having computer based GRE test and I scored just 550 in Q.

which test have u given?powerprep or kaplan or...????????

earlier u used to check the time?difficulty level of tests varies.

well in computer based test next question depends upon the response u give (correct ans as well as time for response)for present question....(as far as u r giving right ans u will get difficult question)so if u go wrong in the first few questions u will get low score

generally first 10 questions matters a lot. u must be getting right ans. in that.....

so i guess u practice few more tests ...and then ur score will improve if not then see whats going wrong either time factor or may be some early mistakes

hope this helps

usdreamz

hi guys,

i am seriously scared today, I was getting good scored in math section in the paper pencil based GRE tests like barrons, & bigbook. I was getting 750+ in Q section. But 2day morning first time I was having computer based GRE test and I scored just 550 in Q. I just astonished and scared what will happen in the real GRE? What should i do ? i have GRE test on 22nd july .please guys advice me.

Chintz, I think there is such a difference between the scores because when you grade the answers in a paper based test, you just count the number of correct answers and determine your raw score. In the CBT, however, what matters more than the number of wrong questions, is the kind of questions you have missed, and the pattern in which you have missed them. If you mark more than 3 answers wrong consecutively, it is going to seriously damage your score. The paper test score doesnt take all this into account.

Dont be intimidated by all this, though. You probably need more practice in the computer adaptive form. Just keep this in mind as far as the CBT is concerned, that the first few questions are critical, and be very sure of your answers before you confirm them.

You still have time, and so there is no need to get anxious about your capabilities. All the best. :)

I don't think the front-end questions are more important than all the others when it comes to scoring. While its true each question is selected based on whether you got the previous one right, thats only one factor in how the CBT selects a question (according to GRE website). Just because you got the last question right doesn't always mean the next question picked is harder nor vice-versa.

Consider if you were doing well half-way through and so many of the last 10 questions were the hardest...those are also weighted the most points. So if you totally bomb the latter half of the test you would have amassed less points by answering medium and easy questions correctly 2/3's of the way through.

I think your best bet is to do well consistently throughout the test, and when you miss some questions, hope that they are spread out and not consecutive or in groups. That should average your curve better.

dnt panic...do more practice for the computer based gre than paper based gre...i will boost ur confidence...

even i hv mine gre in august ...

cn u plz help me in the gre big book.. cn u post me the test papers of the big book...i hv no time for buyin the book..

if possible plz do mail me at nimi_thanawala@fastmail.fm

all d best n do well...

hi guys ,

thanx a lot for ur encouraging suggestions , I am trying to do more practice from last two days, and I analyzed where I supposed to do mistake and I found just coz of time tension and over optimism were affecting my score. Today morning I had Kaplan and u know guys I scored 750 in Q. now tomorrow I have again anther test. So, my score is now improving. Thanx, guys for boosting my confidence. Nimish and swpanil I will send GRE Big book material (verbal only), tomorrow on your id.