Urch Forums

Application of topology???

mhtkhan

Hi, I'm an undergraduate student studying mathematics. My topology course teacher has given me an assignment on the application of topology on econometrics. He said he's not gonna anything about econometrics (I don't have that in my syllabus), I'll have to do it on my own.

So can u tell me why exactly topology is read in the study of econometrics???

• 6 years later...

In proving existence and uniqueness of economic equilibria, one typically uses some sort of fixed point argument. This can be in R^n, or a Hilbert space, or even more generally it can wind up being a function space, even infinite dimensional function spaces. The topological properties of these spaces become very prominent in the proofs.

That's really economics but not econometrics, which is a branch of statistics dealing with economic problems (typically the independent variables in the estimation cannot be measured precisely.) Maybe there are some topological discussions in mathematical statistics that could be mentioned, but I don't know that much about math. stats.

This sounds like it should be in the grad school forum (for economists, who are typically failed mathematicians, it's grad material) not the high school forum though.