Urch Forums

Capital Letters?

salmanucit

Hi,

I am prepring for IELTS general test. Can any one guide me that do we need to take care of small or capital letters for the following, if we need to write them as an answer.

1) If i have to write about a lecture in the main hall, can i use "Main Hall" OR "main hall" OR "Main hall". Is there any difference between these or all are correct?

2) I had a qestion during a prractice tes about the person who had to deliver a lecture, and in asnwer, i had to wite "Director of Studies"; if i write "director of studies", would if be correct also?

3) If in listening test, speaker says office is open in day times only and timing is "10 to 6", what should i write in answer about the time? Shoult it me "10am - 6pm" OR "10.00 am to 6.00pm" OR "10.00am- 6.00pm".

4) I would also like to ask that if we have to provide a list in the anser of some question, for example, we have to write down names of two colors in an answer, do we need to separate them using comma like (blue, red) or, we only need to write down without comma like (blue red).

5) Is it also necessary for the answer to have "a" or "the" written with it? for example, if an answer is "bicycle", do we need to write is "the bicycle" or "a bicycle" or would it be correct without it?

Thanks in advance

Salman

Hi Salmanucit,

Wow that's a lot of questions! I've got the answers to some of them, so here goes:

In the Listening test there can be several versions of accepted answers, so "6am-10pm" or "6am to 10pm" will be equally correct (just keep the am/pm). The same goes for Y/N or Yes/No and T/F or True/False.

If you need to list 3 words in your answer, separate them with commas.

Articles "a" and "the" - if you're completing a sentence (filling in the gaps or the like) it needs to be grammatically correct and if that requires an article - yes, use it otherwise you'll loose marks.

Not too sure about the capital letters - if you can copy the way it's in the text - do it.

Hi,

thanks for your reply. For using "a" and "the", i actually asked it in the context of to fill in the blanks. For example, during listening, if it is related to filling up places names in the given blanks (not completion of sentences). For example, speaker says "Students have to gather in main hall" and i have to write down "main hall". Now should it me "Main Hall" or "main hall".

Same is the case if in answer, i have to write down the heading of an essay which two students are discussing during listening of conversation. Should it be like (for example) "Benifits of Marriage" or chould it also be "benifits of marriage"

Thanks

Salman

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

thanks for your reply. For using "a" and "the", i actually asked it in the context of to fill in the blanks. For example, during listening, if it is related to filling up places names in the given blanks (not completion of sentences). For example, speaker says "Students have to gather in main hall" and i have to write down "main hall". Now should it me "Main Hall" or "main hall".

Same is the case if in answer, i have to write down the heading of an essay which two students are discussing during listening of conversation. Should it be like (for example) "Benifits of Marriage" or chould it also be "benifits of marriage"

Thanks

Salman

if the articles are not required grammatically, then don't use them