Urch Forums

Vocabulary to get an IELTS Speaking band score 7

Pete J

Hi

I often get asked by candidates about how they can get an IELTS Speaking band score 7.0, and so I'd like to post one of the requirements for getting this band score here.

To get a band score 7.0 in your IELTS Speaking test, one of the things you need to do is use certain types of vocabulary: less common vocabulary and idiomatic vocabulary.

• less common vocabulary are words or phrases that are not frequently used in everyday conversation (the word 'idiomatic' in this post is an example of less common vocabulary)
  • idiomatic vocabulary are words or expressions that are natural for native speakers to use or that contain an idiom (for example, 'a couch potato')

To see more examples of these types of vocabulary, have a look at my latest blog post: 'IELTS Speaking band score 7 vocabulary'

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
I often get asked by candidates about how they can get an IELTS Speaking band score 7.0, and so I'd like to post one of the requirements for getting this band score here.

To get a band score 7.0 in your IELTS Speaking test, one of the things you need to do is use certain types of vocabulary: less common vocabulary and idiomatic vocabulary.

Pete

Just following on from my post above...

To get a band score 7.0 in your IELTS Speaking test, another thing that you need to do is...

• give extended answers to the examiner's questions easily

To see an example of a band score 7.0 candidate answer some IELTS Speaking Part 1 questions, check out the video in my latest blog post at www.freeieltscourse.com/ielts-speaking-topics/ielts-speaking-part-1-questions-and-answers/

Pete