Urch Forums

How difficult is IELTS when compared to Toefl?

dcychanhk

I am just wondering if anyone here is an native English speaker. On the Toefl test, I think I can score around 630 . The sample toefl test on this web site is way too difficult. I doubt the correctness of the answers to some questions ,too. I am thinking to take the IELTS exam to see what I am getting as an English learner for a couple of years. However, it seems ridiculous that the exam is designed in a way that even some native speakers couldn't get all of the correct. Do you guys think it is a little bit too harsh?

it is even more surprising that it doesn't seem to be the case that all native speakers are getting 9 out of 9 on speaking. I mean speaking English as a first language cannot bring you an A , what can? If you happen to be an IELTS or Toefl teacher , may i know what score you are getting , please? Thank you

Actually the location of taking test also affects your score. If all native speakers take test together, I don't think interviewers will give 9 for all. Similarly, I took IELTS in Germany where there are few natives and also other participants have strong accents, so I got 8. If I take it in US or UK, I think I will get 7, rather than 8 for sure.

We have the same sentiments actually. I was wondering too if a native english speaker can even get a band of 6 for reading and writing modules. I actually have encountered a lot from the chatroom who are native english speakers and yet... i also had writing pals from US and Canada before. Surprisingly they don't even know how to spell a simple word correctly, and the grammar, ggeeessssshh.. i'd rather not to comment... ;)

I am just wondering if anyone here is an native English speaker. On the Toefl test, I think I can score around 630 . The sample toefl test on this web site is way too difficult. I doubt the correctness of the answers to some questions ,too. I am thinking to take the IELTS exam to see what I am getting as an English learner for a couple of years. However, it seems ridiculous that the exam is designed in a way that even some native speakers couldn't get all of the correct. Do you guys think it is a little bit too harsh?

it is even more surprising that it doesn't seem to be the case that all native speakers are getting 9 out of 9 on speaking. I mean speaking English as a first language cannot bring you an A , what can? If you happen to be an IELTS or Toefl teacher , may i know what score you are getting , please? Thank you

And a great factor, i would say is the interviewer!!! :tup:

Y??? Because my experience said so... IF only i had a "two-way" sort of interview and a nice and friendly interviewer, i would have done better and probably would have eye-to-eye contact with her. But because of her "poker" face, all my excitements turned into agitation. I didn't look at her eyes because looking at them made me more uneasy. hehe. I hope she would still give me fair band though. :(

Side comment: and i wish i have the chance to grade the way she delivered her interview! hehe :yuck:

Actually the location of taking test also affects your score. If all native speakers take test together, I don't think interviewers will give 9 for all. Similarly, I took IELTS in Germany where there are few natives and also other participants have strong accents, so I got 8. If I take it in US or UK, I think I will get 7, rather than 8 for sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
In ielts, u miss 1 question and fall from 8.5 to 8 , or 8 to 7.5 ... It`s painful . Reading is harder than TOEFL, esp. headings , True/Not given and words-fill in (beware of grammar errors) . I will receive result in next week. Gave it a lot of work but still missed some in the test - it`s probably inevitable ???? Hic.