Urch Forums

Are All IELTS Answers Correct?

artast

Hi,

I'm a newbie in this forum and would like to know the explanations of some Q&As from the IELTSHELPNOW (1-4) and THE NEW PREPARE FOR IELTS (5) Reading Tests as follow:

1. Test1, Q5: Which hotel helps you with water sports?

(Your answer may require more than one letter.)

Relevant text:

B SUNRISE GUEST HOUSE

- surf equipment hire available

D THE ROYALE HOTEL

- 2 swimming pools

In my opinion, I can use both hotels (B and D) because a swimming pool can be used for many water sports as well and not every hotel has it. If hotel has its own swimming pool, you don't have to surf only to get help from the hotel in order to practice water sports. Right?

The correct answer is: B.

Please would you explain me why I cannot use D letter too?

2. Test1, Q12: What is the subject of Pierre Arlangue’s photographs in his new book? (NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS)

Relevant text:

French photographer Pierre Arlangue’s study of the most famous peaks in the Alps.

In my opinion, the best answer would be: famous Alpine peaks because the photographer did study only famous peaks of the Alps and did not study other parts of the Alps in his book (like valleys, towns, etc).

The correct answer is: alps/peaks/mountains.

Would you explain me why the correct answer does not include the form "famous Alpine peaks"?

3. Test1, Q24: Any previous computer course in the archives can be re-used and also changed to be _______________ to the requirements of students. (NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS)

Relevant text:

We can run any of our current or past courses, adapted to be tailor-made to the needs of particular groups, or we can develop courses to order if they are more or less in the areas of computer use we support. Providing there is sufficient demand, we will do our best to accommodate your requirements.

The correct answer is: tailor made.

Would you explain me why the text does include "-" and the correct answer does not?

4. Test3, Q28 Where can the students practice their skills in boats?

Relevant text:

Entrance to the College is by an in house examination.

The correct answer is: In-house examination.

Would you explain me why the text does not include "-" and the correct answer does?

5. THE NEW PREPARE FOR IELTS, UNIT 3, page49, Q8, Paragraph1: What was the organ made of?

Relevant text:

Organs have existed in one form or another for over 2,000 years. Techniques for building them have varied, but common to all organs are the rows of pipes that are part of the sound-producing mechanism. These are generally made of wood and metal. The organ we wish to tell you about, however, has pipes primarily made of bamboo. A total of 832 of its 953 sound-producing pipes are bamboo. The others are metal. In addition, there are some pipes that are only decorative.

The correct answer is: The organ was made of bamboo.

Because the organ was made from both bamboo and metal, I believe, the correct answer would include metal too. Would you explain me why the correct answer does not include also metal?

I'd appreciate if somebody can explain these questions. According to IELTS administration, the answers have to have the exact form as is shown on the answer sheet (see the correct answers).

Thanks a lot in advance.