Urch Forums

Using Capital Letters in the IELTA answer sheet

lonelymelody

I just took the IELTS exam today. Although I think that the most answers I gave to the listening section were correct, something worries me alot. :(

I know that you must write the first letter of some specific words like the name of countries in capital letters (e.g.; England) in the answer sheet, but I’m wondering that if you used capital letters for other words in this manner, it would be considered wrong? For example if is the answer is "red meat" or "fieldwork" and you write them as "Red Meat or Red meat" and " Fieldwork" will test markers consider them wrong answerers. I'm very worried about it because some of my answerers are written in this style and there was nothing about it in the instructions written in the exam booklet.

Does any one know the answere?

I just took the IELTS exam today. Although I think that the most answers I gave to the listening section were correct, something worries me alot. :(

I know that you must write the first letter of some specific words like the name of countries in capital letters (e.g.; England) in the answer sheet, but I’m wondering that if you used capital letters for other words in this manner, it would be considered wrong? For example if is the answer is "red meat" or "fieldwork" and you write them as "Red Meat or Red meat" and " Fieldwork" will test markers consider them wrong answerers. I'm very worried about it because some of my answerers are written in this style and there was nothing about it in the instructions written in the exam booklet.

Does any one know the answere?

While I don't know for sure, I would guess that you will not get the "full" mark if you did not capitalize correctly. If this was your first Ielts test, use this experience to not to make the same mistake. Now another thing you can do is call the Ielts test center and ask them. It never hurts:).

As tseprep kindly suggestid, I contacted thr official IELTS center and asked the same question, they answered me as the following:

"Dear Sir or Madam

You may use either upper or lower case on your answer sheet. You will

not be penalised for how you write an answer provided it is spelt

correctly.

You are not, in fact, required to use upper case for proper nouns,

although it is obviously good practice to get into this habit.

I hope that this answers your question sufficiently.

Regards

IELTS Exams Administrator

Cambridge ESOL

www.ielts.org"

As tseprep kindly suggestid, I contacted thr official IELTS center and asked the same question, they answered me as the following:

"Dear Sir or Madam

You may use either upper or lower case on your answer sheet. You will

not be penalised for how you write an answer provided it is spelt

correctly.

You are not, in fact, required to use upper case for proper nouns,

although it is obviously good practice to get into this habit.

I hope that this answers your question sufficiently.

Regards

IELTS Exams Administrator

Cambridge ESOL

www.ielts.org"[/quote]

Thanks for sharing the info, it will be helpful.:)