Urch Forums

PhD in Finance. Where should I apply?

jones42

I'm looking to apply to several PhD programs in finance over the next several weeks, and I was hoping to get some feedback based on my academic and professional experiences.

Undergraduate degree: Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Top 10 US engineering university

Undergraduate GPA: 3.49

Graduate degree: Masters in Business Administration from an AACSB accredited university

Graduate GPA: 3.96

GMAT score: 710 (92 percentile)

Research experience: 4 semesters as an undergraduate research assistant

Work experience: 2.5 years as a mechanical engineer with US Air Force

I don't think that's Ivy League material by any means, but I think I should be competitive at some good Tier II schools.

Based on these criteria, which US schools would you recommend that I apply to with a good chance of gaining acceptance?

You'd be better off posting in the Business PhD forum.

Your GMAT score is kind of low, what is your Q and V split (just post it up on the business phd forum, don't bother responding here)

Undergrad GPA is low. What math courses do you have?

What rank is your MBA from? Ie. Top 10, top 50, unranked, etc?

Depending on your Q/V split, and what math courses you've taken, you might be able to get into some T100 programs. If this seems harsh, it's because finance is the most competitive stream of all the business disciplines.