Urch Forums

Scored 670 in 2nd attempt. Trying to improve score in next 1 month

sk_gmat

Hi Friends,

I have been a silent member of testmagic but have been getting inspired from all the posts posted out here. Not to mention about the discussions about umpteen number of problems posted on this forum.

I have written gmat couple of times. My previous scores are 660 and 670. My first attempt was one year back and I ended up with M-48 and V-32 with 5.5 on AWA). For my 2nd attempt, I did not start preparing for gmat until Dec 2008 due to unavoidable personal circumstances. However, I did everything while preparing for 2nd attempt to overcome my weak areas and took GMAT in last week. I had solved LSAT questions, that gave me confidence to tackle RC and CRs. I did not focus much on maths as I could easily score 47-48 without much preps. I took sets, MGMAT, GMATPrep. My scores in these tests were

MGMAT 1 - 690 (M-48, V-36)

MGMAT 2 - 670 (M-43, V-38)

MGMAT 3 - 680 (M-46, V-36)

MGMAT 4 - 730 (M-48, V-41)

MGMAT 5 - 730 (M-48, V-41)

MGMAT 6 - 710 (M-48, V-38)

GMATPrep I - 730 (M-50, V-38)

GMATPrep II - 750 (M-49, V-44)

GMATPrep I Re-take -750 (M-49, V-42) (Some verbal repeats - 2/3 questions and couple of questions in maths)

Real GMAT - 670 (M-47, V-35)

After all these practice, I was quite confident in my 2nd attempt to score 700+ plus. On my test day, I focused on initial 10 questions on maths and I think I was doing well until I started taking more time for a few questions to get the correct answer. That's where I guess I screwed on maths. I could smell that I am running out of time and may have to guess a few questions. That's what happened as I had little time to solve each question and had to guess on questions I could have easily solved. I guessed almost on 5-6 questions and that explains my maths score.

While I knew that I messed up Maths(due to inefficient time management), I had no clue that I was also messing up verbal. I found RC very easy and could solve each question. Some SCs were confusing, but CRs were fine too. I was quite confident that I could make up for maths in Vebal. I felt that I was doing good in verba,l but alas, was disheartened to see 35 for verbal and 47 for maths (making score of 670) on the final score. Not sure what to do next as I have finished most of the material (OGs, 1000s, Prep exams, MGMAT etc).

I am an entrepreneur and have had started my own companies. I belong to the IT pool but have a few good achievements on my plat to boast about. My goal is to be an entreprenuer and based on some of my friend's advice I started looking for MBA as an option of achieveing my goal. But never thought that GMAT itself would take up so much time. I am quite fedup writing and preparing for this exam, but on the other hand I don't want to opt out as a looser. Even if I don't do MBA, I want to score a massive 700+ before forbidding good bye to GMAT. By nature, I am a guy who do not give up and hence I am quite determined to take the exam another time (may be last as I would have missed chance to apply for MBA this year if I don't score this time).

Any tips would be useful as I have only this year to apply. I know I need to practice more efficient time maangement for maths, but I am not sure what and MORE IMPORTANTLY HOW should I study for verbal now. (I have identified only one way so far -> to solve questions on this forum). I have exhausted everything out there and could identify and attack my weak areas. But after my 2nd attempt I am clueless and looking forward for some guidance from folks who, either had been in this predicament or have good idea about a way to come out of this unusual/usual situation.

Thanks and best wishes to all

Hey, I m yet to write gmat and I myself am trying to findout how to tackle the test better but I just want to give you my thoughts about the score.

you got 670 which is a good score(cant say it as better score, as you know) but, as you are saying that you are an entrepreneur and you have good things to boast abt you. If you are confident that you can make a strong application out of your achievements and experience then 670 is a good score and I m sure that 670 will not make your application weak. From your words it also shows that you have a very good reason for 'why you want to do an MBA' .It looks like you have got a good application to make to most of the good B-schools, unless you are aiming for Harvard/Wharton etc.

@sk_gmat, You have a decent score, and you can apply to a decent schools, unless, as kssr said, its Harvard/Wharton, however you never know you might get admissions into these school also if you have very strong application and other stuff. Most of the school consider GMAT score with +/- 30 points.

GMAT score is one of the factor to admission to t Good B school, there are other factors also such as Aplication, recommendation letters, interviews etc.

Takin up GMAT 3rd time OR not is totally your choice and is left to you. But dont loose heart its a Gr8 score, and can help you to go to you dream school as you also said you have a gr8 profile, it should not be very difficult for you.,,

Wish you luck and Wishes,,

Hi Friends,

Thanks for the responses. It's encouraging. I understand that GMAT is not the only part of application, but it definitely would be a good measure for the IT Indian male pool. As I said that I do have good profile (couple of startups under my belt), but I really would not like to weaken my application because of GMAT. As far as schools are concerned, yes Wharton at least is in my list. Hence, I feel the need to take the last shot. But as I had mentioned, I really need to change or at least understand what else I can do from here to score better marks in GMAT.

I really appreciate the help you guys are doing by replying to my thread. Trust me, I am eagerly waiting for you guys to come and help me in pulling along. Its pretty much decided that I would write GMAT again, but I really want to crack 720+ in this attempt - for my satisfaction and also for making my profile more competitive.

PS: I did try out couple of schools with old scores, but as I said I got hit by the low gmat score and was dinged.