Urch Forums

610 GMAT - pls help didnt expect a 610!!! damn frustrated..

nohope

i took the gmat today got a miserable 610 (49,24) lowest among all my mock scores...

please help me.. i am a person with good academic background n i am not able to take such a failure.

really didnt expect a 24 in verbal!!!!! its a shame:((

my mock scores were as follows :

MGMAT free-670

MGMAT CAT2-680

MGMAT CAT3- 700

MGMAT CAT4- 690

GMAT PREP 1-650

GMAT PREP 2- 670

GMAT PREP 1 (REPEAT)-700

study material used- OG12, GMAT PREP, KAPLAN.

I never got below 30 on verbal before and was expecting atleast a 670-680!!

but 610 has lost all my hopes and i dont know whether il be able to encourage myself to study again..

dont why i panicked myself during verbal but everything was going well until the last 10 questions

how can one rely on mock test scores then?

how wil i b able to build up courage to take a test again after 2 months!

Hi nohope,

On any day, your score can fluctuate as much as 30-40 points.

Added to this, the testing environment can sometimes cause a score decrease (the added pressure of the official test can cause some anxiety, which can lower your concentration).

Sometimes a ridiculously difficult RC passage or math question at the beginning of the section can throw you off mentally or chronologically (lost time).

My advice: don't worry. Your scores suggest that 610 was an anomaly and that 700 is a realistic goal. Keep at it.

Cheers,

Brent

http://www.gmatprepnow.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi nohope,

Don’t get disheartened, this is just the beginning of life J It was your first attempt so give yourself a break, it’s not the end of the road. Sometimes what matters is the examination day itself. All that preparation, all those sleepless nights would go waste if you get super excited or depressed on the day of your test.

The first mantra to beat the GMAT is to stay cool throughout your preparation and exams. The very next point I’ll like to point out is your management, you need to concentrate more on your verbal section. We know you might be very good in your academics but there is always a scope for improvement especially when you are aiming for big fishes in the US.

Our experience says that you have to focus on managing your time during exam preparation. Make sure that you’re devoting appropriate time for all the sections.

You still have a couple of months before the next exam and that’s a lot of time. Let us know if we could be of any help J