Urch Forums

620 (V25 Q49) need advices

ngotrung

took GMAT yesterday. Q49 - V25 :(

I am a non-native speaker, working on GMAT 1.5 month and yesterday is really a bad day. I work with [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip], keep error logs like all you guys.

My test result at home

1. Kap diagnostic 660

2. Power Prep test A : 680

3. Kap test 1 : 540

4. Kap test 2 : 580

5. Kap test 3 620

6.PR 1 : 670

7. PR2 : 680

8. Power Prep test B :730 (after I have done [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip], so remember all the question)

When I took the test, I am quite nervous, and too careful on the first question left me too little time for some last math question, result in bad score in Q (at home my Q often 51)

When I came to verbal, after 10 question, I feel quite comfortable. Yet, a hard RC about genetic comes up.It took me 6 min to read but dont understand the structure. after several question, ETS through another hard chemical RC at me. Having only 25 min for 19 question, I ran against time and surely made many mistake. The last RC about irrigation is so bad that it discourage me to even look at it.

Going home,I am so depressed because I can do it much better. But I got cold feet by some stupid RC (when working with OG10, my RC result is 80%), poor time management and poor mental stamina are the main cause of my failure

I am thinking of retake the test, but don't know how should I prepare? Need advices from you guys

First off all 620 is not a score to be ashamed of. I wouldnt mind ending up with a 620 on the test and I would like to hear a debriefing considering the Q section of the actual GMAT, in terms of difficulty and compartison to [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] , PR and KAPLAN.

That aside maybe you should change your strategy when it comes to RC, at least that's what I did. I'm also a non native speaker, who never set foot in any English speaking nation.

When I started doing the ETS paper tests I observed that there just wasn't enough time for me to read all passages. The first time I tried that my 30 minutes where gone by the time I've completed only half of the section. That resulted to about 13/22 mistakes.

So I changed my strategy. I no longer read the hole passage before answering the first question. Instead I read the question and "skim" the passage till I find the spot that answers the question. If the first question is about the tone I read the beginning and the end of all paragraphs and take an "educated" guess. That strategy might not seem like the best but I only make 5-6/22 mistakes and manage to finish the section on time.

On the actual test I plan to take my time for the first RC, which usually turns up before question 15, and make sure all the answers are correct. However on the 2 remaining RC's I plan to use this strategy. I think that after question 15 speed is very important.

Maybe you should give it a shot. Start timing yourself on RC's and try to remain concentrated. I too feel that especially RC's are unfair to us non natives.

o ot be discouraged. i am a native english speaker with a pretty good command of the language and i got 25 on my verbal section. just keep at it. if i got 620 i would be fine but i guess it depends on the school you are applying for. if you decide to retake the exam just keep practicing the verbal.

The SC is the same as [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip], but RC much harder( maybe because I am not familiar with chemical and bio passage,but the last passage of irrigation is unbelievablly hard too,the structure is too hard to skim and question is hard to guess). CR is longer and harder than [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip], one bold face I got, I have to scroll.

Math is so easy, you just have to be careful

nogotrung....I went thru the same experience as you might being going thru...regarding the GMAT score...My score was 610...whereas I was hoping about 700 as suggested by my practie scores...

Now I will be reappearing in the few weeks...See my advice is

1. decide whether this is enough for you or not...

2. if not...then CORRECTLY indentify ur weaknesses...

I think V 25 is not only because of one bad RC....its more because of SCssssThese are very tricky.....My advice is go thru SC....as carefully as you can....DEPLETE ALL SC resources...be it wikigrammar.com ....scoretop.com....or....OG [best].....just make sure you get 95 % in SC....I think this should take ur scores to 35 in Verbal....which will take ur total to 700...

Another point...SC is very misleading in kaplan...I actually did very well in kaplan SC....even though its questions seem to be tough but actually they are not....infact it is very easy to eliminate wrong choices....whereas in [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]....it is harder so is in real exam...

So my advice is focus on Verbal especially...SC....And if you can...visit scoretop.com...it has great resources...first try to download the material from its Gmat material section and then get its VIP membership for one month.

best of luck

Another point...SC is very misleading in kaplan...I actually did very well in kaplan SC....even though its questions seem to be tough but actually they are not....infact it is very easy to eliminate wrong choices....whereas in [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]....it is harder so is in real exam...

So my advice is focus on Verbal especially...SC....And if you can...visit scoretop.com...it has great resources...first try to download the material from its Gmat material section and then get its VIP membership for one month.

best of luck

This is very true - Kaplan's sentence correction is very easy because their sentences only contain one error. The sentence correction on the real gmat has multiple errors - which is why it's considered very tricky. The [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] is the best tool for verbal.

This is very true - Kaplan's sentence correction is very easy because their sentences only contain one error. The sentence correction on the real gmat has multiple errors - which is why it's considered very tricky. The [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] is the best tool for verbal.

To tell you the truth I often find [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] questions which contain multiple errors easier than those who only contain one error.

The is that , since I am not a native speaker, sometimes I'm not 100% sure if an error is indeed an error. However I can be 100% sure for one of two errors so I can eliminate all the wrong answer choises. :D