Urch Forums

710 on GMAT- Q-50 V-37

Hi friends,

took the test today and got 710.I was expecting around 720-730.

but then i am satisfied with the score.

thanks for all your help.This forum is mind blowing.

my experience

essays were easy.Nothing special happend that i can mention.

Quantitaive

starting questions were really easy.Then also i made it a point to check the answer twice. I got only 1 permutaion question and that was also a straight forward one.no probability at all.

problem solving questions were mainly of the standard of [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip].

Some DS questions were good.

Just one advice: In DS questions before clicking the confirm button make sure that you have revised your option.Sometimes it is really tricky.

I got one DS question that I attemted few days back in this forum.Was really happy to see that.

Time was never a problem.i completed the section 10 minutes before the completion time.

Verbal

First 3 questions were SC.First question took a lot of time almost 4 minutes.

Second and third SC were ok type.

Then the fourth question was a RC.It was a 35 line RC.But answer option seems to be little tricky.I think here i must have lost my verbal marks.

CR was easy.I got one bold faced question.But mostly CR was easy and never encountered any problem.

SC was good.i suggest people to practice as much as possible.

One of the Sc question i got was there in one of the threads of this forum.

Really these type of questions helped me to compansate for the time that i lost in RC.

I got my 3 Rc in the first 22 questions and so from 22-34 were all Sc and Cr.

I think that didn't take me too much time to cover them.

34-38 was once again a RC.

i completed the verbal section 2 minutes beforwe the final time.

I think i lost my questions in RC.RC were not tough but few question options confused me a lot.

So practice RC especially the primary purpose one.

For sc i suggest other than [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] please do the 1000 Sc doc.those questions are really good.

Moreover today evening(as i am in office right now and material is in home PC) i will be uploding some content here .

9-ETS paper test

LSAT CR questions.

Please note that i would recommend every one to go through these LSAT CR question as these will help you to adjust to the different type of questions format in Gmat.

These CR test are in the pattern of 35 min 25 questions.

there are around 40 test with really good questions.

My advice is to divide each test such that you take 16 questions in 25 minutes rather than taking 25 questions in 35 minutes.

As 16 questions in 25 will simulate the conditions much more.Moreover 25 questions in a lot will exhaust you.

congrats!! thats an awesome score!! could you tell more about your prep...i hv finished [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] CR, SC, DS, 50% PS..RC is also a problem with me..i always end up scoring 60% or 70%. I hv also given some kaplan maths tests and scored around 80% in them..what do you suggest? should i practice more on kaplan..or should i give a powerprep test?

thanks

Wait a sec, I am really confused. Some of the people who took the GMAT say that the Quant questions were of the level of [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] and some say they were way above the level of [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]. You say you got only one permutations and still you have a score of 50 in Quant. So what did you get as the tougher problems? I guess I am just gonna have to wait and find out for himself what the level of the questions is.

I completely read thro all the previous posts. It looks like repeatedly only SC and CR was to the level of [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] and RC even was harder. In addition, there are examples where the Math was to the level of [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] and even seen some [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] questions.

Anyway, some think they did not do good job on exam but still get 50 and some say they did extremely well but score low. The scoring algorithm is highly unpredictable.

My feeling about this is like this analogy. "You would feel ache as it comes to you. No one can educate you or predict how it would be for you". It is stars above their head on that day to get which bin and how many!

Meet,

Congrats. on the awesome score. Please tell us how to get strong grades in DS and SC.

Does the quantitative section test you more on number properties than anything else? Is the verbal section similar to [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] or [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] is easier?

Can't wait to practice the LSAT CR.

Well, logically, the questions have to be of the level of the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]. Haven't you noticed how powerprep exams scores are closest to the scores of the real exam? If the math weren't of the level of the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip], then a lot of people would score considerably lower on the real test than they've scored on the power prep.:hmm:

Stormgal & SecurityGeek,

I have read so many posts in this section about how tough the quantitative questions are compared to [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]. [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] is easy, even for DS (which is my weakness), except for the last 70 questions in DS!

Stormgal, I have read your e-mail and found that you said you get easy questions in Q, thus it reflects on your score. What did you receive in your powerprep? Was the real test questions very much different from OG?

SecurityGeek, I have read your e-mails too. I will not be surprised, if you are able to kick some a** and comes with a 700! When is your test?

Stormgal & SecurityGeek,

Stormgal, I have read your e-mail and found that you said you get easy questions in Q, thus it reflects on your score. What did you receive in your powerprep? Was the real test questions very much different from OG?

The first question is definitely always easy - standard [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] question - from the middle batch like question #120. I got a 32 on the Quant section of my PP, but I received a 30 on the real test. I know for a fact that I did very well on the first five questions because I started getting difficult DS questions on Standard deviation and statistics. That's where I lost control - I'm very bad with DS and coupled with Standard deviation - forget it.:crazy: Shortly after, I started seeing some very easy questions, like "Jane ate 1/3 of the pie and Janet ate the rest - how much did Janet eat?" I felt like a dummy. After I answered like 5 easy questions, a hard question on geometry showed up which I couldn't answer - then it was back to the stupid no-brainer questions, and shortly after, the test was over. I was really upset. :wallbash: Overall, based on my experience, I think that the test mimicks the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] exactly.

But on another note, I think that one should study from harder materials than in the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip], because if you study harder topics, it will be very difficult for ETS to fool you with tricky questions. I think that's the key.

The first question is definitely always easy - standard [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] question - from the middle batch like question #120. I got a 32 on the Quant section of my PP, but I received a 30 on the real test. I know for a fact that I did very well on the first five questions because I started getting difficult DS questions on Standard deviation and statistics. That's where I lost control - I'm very bad with DS and coupled with Standard deviation - forget it.:crazy: Shortly after, I started seeing some very easy questions, like "Jane ate 1/3 of the pie and Janet ate the rest - how much did Janet eat?" I felt like a dummy. After I answered like 5 easy questions, a hard question on geometry showed up which I couldn't answer - then it was back to the stupid no-brainer questions, and shortly after, the test was over. I was really upset. :wallbash: Overall, based on my experience, I think that the test mimicks the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] exactly.

But on another note, I think that one should study from harder materials than in the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip], because if you study harder topics, it will be very difficult for ETS to fool you with tricky questions. I think that's the key.

Stormgal,

Wish you good luck in your GMAT. :tup: I am also weak in DS and working very hard on it. I just need 630 to get into my school. I just hope GOD helps me to get that 630.:doh:

Stormgal,

Wish you good luck in your GMAT. :tup: I am also weak in DS and working very hard on it. I just need 630 to get into my school. I just hope GOD helps me to get that 630.:doh:

Well, I wish you the best and hope you get that 630. At this point, I'm hoping for anything above 550.:(

Well, I wish you the best and hope you get that 630. At this point, I'm hoping for anything above 550.:(

Stormgal,

Cheer up!:tup:

I hope you get the ABOVE 550 score that you truly deserve. I am strugling with Verbal as well. I am not a native speaker. I am also aiming at least 35 in Verbal. At this point I am a 20's guy!:mad: