Urch Forums

From 610(Q50 V23) on 10th Jan to 710(Q49 V37) on 11thApril.

koolhunk19

Thanks to all the people who have been posting regularly on this forum. I could not have done this without ur help.

I know its not a huge score but i am proud of it. Coz only i remember how dejected and frustrated i felt after 610. I am ecstatic :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Any1 wants any kind of material or any other kind of help, please dont hesitate to contact me.

Frankly speaking, I dint do anything extra ordinary this time. Infact, i would say that i had worked harder for the Jan test than this one.But there are some changes which i felt during this test.

The major change i noticed this time around was in my concentration level. First time when i took the test, I was not able to concentrate on CRs and RCs because:

1) I never thought that i can improve on CRs and RCs with practice. So in the test whenever i saw a CR or RC question, I got nervous and most probably got it wrong.

2) I dint finish the OG. This time even i could not do all the questions but i did 100 CR Qs and got familiar with the GMAT pattern.

I know nobody has time to read what all crap motivation or enthusiasm i got this time. I would like to give some tips to all u ppl though..which i think can improve ur score in verbal.

TIPS:

1) I noticed one thing in both the Jan and Apr tests that in all OG SC questions, u can discard at least 2-3 answer choices depending on either subejct-verb agreement or parallelism. But in the real test, there was not a single SC Q in which u could eliminate 2-3 choices on the basis of subject-verb. Basically, SC standards have gone higher.:( So, practice Gmat prep as many times as u can. Thats the only thing available close to real gmat standard.

2) Download software 'gmatter' from internet. :tup: :tup: Its a very good software coz first thing, u get all OG questions. Second, it has a nice user interface so that u can practice qs on ur computer.

3) Take some Red Bull Cans with u. :tup: . I took two and had both before starting verbal. It helped me a lot to maintain my concentration level even after 2 n half hrs of AWA n quants.

4) one thing for quants, I always thot that i am very strong in quants and can never get less than 50. So never touched a single question in my entire prep. But trust me, Gmat quants standard is pretty high, specially in DS questions. So practice DS questions even if u think u r a bond in quants.

5) CR and RC is still the same as in OG.

Hi koolhunk,

Congratulations....I know you wouldn't have done things very differently from what u had done last time...But there must be some thing which made u to achive this score...I know u imporved the concentration level and that helped u a lot..U said during the first test U were most of the times wrong while answering CR and RC..so how did u improve...That is my weak area..so any suggetions regarding this wud be of great help....and what ever u write in ur debriefing never going to be crap..people are going to read it and take few things which ever applicable to them...So pls post how a jump of 200 happened with all the details u can provide..Once again congratulations and all the best for ur apps.

Thanks,

Vijay.

Hi koolhunk,

Congratulations....I know you wouldn't have done things very differently from what u had done last time...But there must be some thing which made u to achive this score...I know u imporved the concentration level and that helped u a lot..U said during the first test U were most of the times wrong while answering CR and RC..so how did u improve...That is my weak area..so any suggetions regarding this would be of great help....and what ever u write in ur debriefing never going to be crap..people are going to read it and take few things which ever applicable to them...So pls post how a jump of 200 happened with all the details u can provide..Once again congratulations and all the best for ur apps.

Thanks,

Vijay.

Hi Vijay,

Thanks a lot.

Well, I dint do much to improve on RC. I have been taking CAT for the last 2 years now and RCs in GMAT are much easier than CAT ones. So, i think because of the practice in CAT, i cud do well in RCs.

For CRs, i would recommend u to finish OG. I have said this b4 and saying it again..download 'Gmatter' asap from the net and start doing OG questions. this software will give u an option to analyze ur test results and once u are done with all the CR qs, u can go thru the results and see what exactly is going wrong and can improve on that.

Last but not the least, increase ur stamina to keep a good concentration level for 4 hours. This can be achieved only by taking as many Practice tests as u can. And for that, GmatPrep is the best!!

Wishing u all the best. When are u writing GMAT by the way?

From my conversation with my friends, AWA score doesn't mean much. As long as your TOEFL score and essays are in good shape, most admission ignore the AWA score.

Guys, i got my AWA score today...4.5 (55%)..Please tell me how bad is it? I got 6.0 in TOEFL..can that help me in my applications?