Urch Forums

620-640-530!

grbalj

I need a 650 before end of August for a scholarship and here is my story:

April 2006 - First attempt 620 (Q45 V29 AWA4.0)

No preparations at all.

June 2006 - Second attempt 640 (Q46 V33 AWA3.5)

I read through the Kaplan800-book, it took me 2 weeks.

I also made two free-tests that I downloaded from the GMAT-site. (Results 630 and 670)

I was able to retake the test one week after the second, due to problems at the test center that made me miss 2 minutes on the Verbal section.

June 2006 - Third attempt 530 (Q39 V25 AWA4.0)

I couldn't believe my eyes when the result appeared on the screen. How could I score 100 points less than ever before? Everything had felt OK during the test. OK I had a tough week between the tests but still I cannot understand this. Anyone else with similar experience?

Final attempt will be in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of just skipping the AWA-section and leave it blank, as that score does not count. (good idea?) Besides I am planning to take the test at 13.00 instead of 9.00 as I did on the precious tests. Maybe I am smarter after lunch after all?

I haven't had much time to prepare during the summer, as I have been working full time. Will do some work on the verbal though. (CR is my weakest)

Looking forward to any comments or input! Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

On the final attempt I got my 650! (Q47 V32)

I only had a few days to prepare. I visited this forum a few times and practiced the different sections. What made the difference was probably some fine-tuning on the sentence-correction.

On test-day I spent a lot of time at the beginning of the quantitative, making sure that I got the first questions right. The last 7 questions, as on my previous attempts, I had to do in 2 minutes.

The GMAT itself seems pretty consistent (I had 620-640-650), while the 530 must have been a result of a mental block-out.

On the final attempt I got my 650! (Q47 V32)

I only had a few days to prepare. I visited this forum a few times and practiced the different sections. What made the difference was probably some fine-tuning on the sentence-correction.

On test-day I spent a lot of time at the beginning of the quantitative, making sure that I got the first questions right. The last 7 questions, as on my previous attempts, I had to do in 2 minutes.

The GMAT itself seems pretty consistent (I had 620-640-650), while the 530 must have been a result of a mental block-out.

do you feel that concentrating on the first 25-30 questions is the best and most efficient strategy??

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

They let me retake the exam due to problems with the test center. I had to wate for several minutes before they let me back into the room after one of the breaks. This made me loose 2 minutes one one of the sections.

I am pretty convinced that giving extra time for the first 10-20 questions does pay off.