Urch Forums

570 to 710 -- 49 Quant, 38 Verbal --finally redeemed myself

dileepsh

First and foremost ,Special thanks to Erin for creating this wonderful site .I owe this score to this wonderful site and to the creator of this site.

Many thanks to bungholia,CTG,ticktaktoe,twinsplitter,manish8109,,gschmilinsky,chix475ntu ,ptumati,CatalinaN,pittguy578,BigGameJames and many other people, who care to write excellent debriefs and motivate people and who had made a difference ,by writing special debriefs,in the gmat preparation of the Joe Bloggs like me.

In this process i made good friends ,bungholia, ramyagupta, manujgupta (tametheGmat) whose invaluable advice were very fruitful.

I want to let you know my friends that you helped me cross that dreaded 700 barrier.

I am indebted to kedar(@bungholia) for extending a special favour to me.

Thank you very much.

This was my second attempt to GMAT. Finally managed to got 710, 49 in Quant and 38 In Verbal.

My first attempt to GMAT on 21'st July 2005 landed me with 570.

My profile, Indian male, 28 Yrs, I.T Analyst, 5.5 Yrs of work exp in a renowned IT multinational.

My practise test scores were

GP1 - 2 weeks back - 690

GP2 - 1 week back - 740

GP1 - reattempt after installing,yesterday - 22'nd July - 650

GP2 - re attempt after reinstalling,today - 23 july - 700

GP1 - reattempt after reinstalling - 26'th July - 750

In Gmat Sets i used to make average of 12 mistakes in verbal and around 8 in quant.

In actual test i got one BF as 18'th Question and i was left with 15 questions in 20 mins.Seems i made lots of mistakes in my last questions but it was part of my strategy to pay 2 - 2.5 min per starting 20 questions and rest take it as it comes. I adopted tht strategy in some of attempt to gmat prep and i am happy i was able to guide the rudder of my ship in right direction.

Although score is not that stellar as compared to the pool of applicants to which i belong,I Will write a debrief , if people need it.

hey pal,

this a good improvement and i cant wait to see how u did it.

please note that the mistakes you made earlier will really do those who intend taking the G a whole lot of good on the do`s and donts

dileepsh, amazing score, what a wonderful story. Congratulations on the improvement. And don't sale yourself short, a 710 is a fantastic score, especially since the test is given by Pearson. Don't see too many good scores like that any more. Well, we've enjoyed your posts as well, good luck on your applications? Where do you want to go? Also, what would you attribute your increase to? Did you study a lot the first time or was it just more practice in the forum or what? Congrats again!!

well done dileepsh,

Congratulations!!!

Btw, would just like to know how much helpful GMAT Sets are?

I have a limited time now and more than one options to pick - was wondering if I should go for GMAT sets? I'm looking at tough quants and verbal Qs..

Thank You Guys .........thanks for those nice words.

Today i got my Official Score Report

Verbal 38 / 85%

Quant 49 / 90%

AWA 5.5 / 87%

OverAll 710 (94 %)

What I did right this time.

1. Have Faith in GOD
  2. Instead of just aiming at finishing the books n softwares , i relied ONLY on official materials GMatPrep and GMAT Sets
  3. I analyzed my mistakes and found the topics which i have been consistently getting wrong.
  4. I build my stamina by writing about 15 full length tests that include AWA.
  5. Make notes of important concepts and revise them.
  6. Make notes of idioms and learnt them by heart.
  7. Adhered to light morning stretching exercises and yoga schedule, which helped me to build my mental and physical toughness to sit continously for 4 hours.

Books i referred for my second attempt.

Manhattan SC,

OG 11,

GMAT Sets

TM forums.

Difficulty level of the exam was exactly like GmatPrep.

Guys if u have any specific questions , shoot and i will reply and help in whatever ways i can.

I will upload some of my documents and links , which i found to be useful

Congratulations! Good to know that you have cracked 700 barrier.

I am trying to get good grip on AWA essay writing. Since you have scored very well in AWA, could you please post your template for AWA essays and one **Sample Essay** for each section.

gr8 post dileep...

Hi..

First of all congrats on your great score...Definitely, it's creditable to see the imporvement from 570 to 700..

I gave my 1st attempt of GMAT last month and disappointed to see 570..

Q 47, V 23..AWA 5.0

Although, I am not schocked to see the score since in GMAt prep, I got score between 550-590 only.

My biggest weakness is verbal. I had studied for almost 1 1/2 month and spent most of the time on Verbal from OG.

While studying from OG, I read the explaination again and again. In fact, when I was resolving SC or CR, I was able to solve them quickly. But, I found the difficulty level or confusion during actual test was very high.

Certainly, I want to give GMAT again but do not know how I should plan my studies this time? I guess, I need to concentrate more on the basics and practise more OG and Kaplan examples..

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for the material you have attached..I already downloaded those notes.

Thanks

Just want to send you a big celebration hug... a score very well deserved! You are a really good example of what determination can do. [clap]

Quick question, how much do you think yoga helped you?

And now what about the application process? Tons of luck... I know you will make it.:grad: